Saving Money on Pet Medications

There are ways to save on on your pet's need for medication. This page is about saving money on pet medications.

I found a simple way to keep my pills from sticking together in my weekly pill holder. I have 3 or 4 gel caps and, in this hotter weather, they stick together or to the container. I have to dig them out. I found if I just put a pinch of cornstarch in with them, they don't stick together for about a year.

By Babette from Lemon Grove, CA

I order all my Flea and Heartworm protection from www.petshed.com. They are half the price of what I used to pay at my Vet. I just placed an order for the 6 month package for dogs 45-88 pounds, and with shipping it came to $70.90. It takes about a week to arrive, but I always reorder it once I use my last application.

By CPJ from Madison, AL

Tips and advice or saving money on pet prescriptions.

Wal-Mart

For years I got my cat's thyroid medication from our vet. It seemed to go up in price every time I refilled it. We changed vets and he told me I could get it much cheaper by taking the prescription to Wal-Mart. It went from $23 to $8. This was before Wal-Mart $4.00 prescriptions. So, you may be able to get them for $4.00.

By Artlady

Farm Supply Stores

Our farm supply store sells medications. On the few times we get a prescription from the vet (usually our vet just gives us the medication) we take it to the farm supply store and get it there, no prescription is needed, so if it is something your pet will always need, you can get it refilled with no problem. It is all kept under lock and key, and they do make you sign a release that it is for an animal.

We get antibiotics, vaccinations and salves this way. However, since we are a farm family, our pets are larger animals and are harder to transport to the vet. Most country "farm" vets are very good about showing farm family how to do stitches and give injections. Nice for when a cow gets tangled in a fence at 3 a.m. or a neighbors dog chases down and hurts a chicken or bites a horse. We also keep a good stock here for emergencies, since those always happen on holidays or after hours for the vet. Nice way to avoid a $200 farm visit charge, and by having medication on hand we can either hold off to see the vet till he is open, or in some cases all together avoid the vet.

By mom-from-missouri

Shop Online

One of my colleagues just ordered from an Australian website. He is saving $100 plus on Heartgard and flea meds for his 2 dogs. The members of the bichon list have used Australian sites for years and found them to be great.

By Linda Jones

Feel free to post your ideas below.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Medications that I normally get from my vet can be gotten from the local drug store at less than half the price.

If your pet is on medication sometimes it's cheaper to get the medication through your people pharmacy. I had a dog on phenobarbital and it was loads cheaper getting it at my local pharmacy.

Always ask the vet if the medication being prescribed is available at a regular drugstore. If so, have her write the Rx for you.

Vets charge a lot more for medications than cut-rate pharmacies like Walmart or Costco.

My elderly cat is on high blood pressure and thyroid medication. She receives a partial tab of each once a day. My vet usually dispenses out 60 days worth, about 30 tabs, of each for over $60.00.

My Giant Eagle grocery store's pharmacy has a list of antibiotics that are free, and they are happy to fill a K9 prescription. What would have cost me 40 dollars at the vet's office was just free for us.

Pets AdviceOctober 11, 2012
🐛
📓
😷
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-on-Pet-Medications.html