Saving Money on Spices

Spices can be expensive. So first I hit Dollar Tree, Big Lots or Aldis for the ordinary spices. I save small glass jars for the bulk spices I buy at local health food shops and online at MySpiceSage.com. I usually save about 80% over normal grocery prices.

By CaroleW from Indiana

Answers:

Saving Money on Spices

Agree with the posters on checking the ethnic food aisle. In our area, Goya and Badia ( to name just a couple) spices are a fraction of the cost in the conventional spice section (Mc Cormick, Spice Islands, etc.) and taste a whole lot fresher.

I'm a little iffy on the Dollar Store/ Big Lots spices - have tried both and they seemed to have a shorter shelf life to me. You've gotta remember that these big-big-box stores often don't pass along savings to customers just by being able to buy in large quantities; a lot of times you're getting a deal because they got a deal on almost-ready-to-expire stuff - or lesser quality items. ( Saying this from experience - I was a retail manager for 25 years).

The Hispanic cello packet spices are also generally offered in smaller quantity than the mainstream spices; the advantage to this is that if it's an occasionally used spice, your chances of using it up while still at its peak - six months, tightly capped or sealed - are better. (01/29/2010)

By PupperMom