Selecting Paint For Laminate Counterop

What is the best paint for a laminate countertop? Where can I purchase it? We have a mauve colored countertop and wish to paint it. Thanks.

RRLMSG

Answers:

Selecting Paint For Laminate Counterop

I love to redecorate for as little cash as possible, you could try using a melamine paint for repainting your coutertop, it dries hard and cleans well. Have you thought about going to a couple of building centers in your area and looking at "project panels"? They are made of arborite (countertop material) and can be easily glued over your existing counters, they are usually 2' x 4', come in a variety of cool colors and patterns, and are lightweight so getting them home is simple and the best part is they are usually about $5 each. Much, much cheaper than new counters. Happy remodeling! (10/22/2008)

By Nallorey

Selecting Paint For Laminate Counterop

I painted my daughter's countertops and they look great. I used a latex primer from Lowe's after I lightly sanded and completely cleaned all the dust. I let the primer dry and cure completely (read directions on primer can). I then used a latex base color (black in my case) from Walmart. I let that completely dry and cure. Then I decorated with regular craft paint from Walmart (the stuff in the little bottles that sell for less than a dollar). When that was dry, I used two applications of Envirotex Lite bought from Micheal's craft store (around 50 bucks) letting it dry completely between the applications).

I think maybe it doesn't matter too much what you paint it with, but what you "seal" it with. The Envirotex dried rock hard and so shiny. It's been almost a year and the counter tops look as good as the day I did them. Good luck! (10/23/2008)

By falldowngobump

Selecting Paint For Laminate Counterop

I used oil-based primer (Behr) and Behr latex paint. Came out beautifully! I am posting a picture but it doesn't do justice to the countertop. (10/23/2008)

By Natasha79

RE: Selecting Paint For Laminate Counterop

Selecting Paint For Laminate Counterop

Hey Natasha. Very pretty, how did you do this? What did you use for a sealer? It's just beautiful.

Thanks,
Gail (10/24/2008)

By GMILES7854

Selecting Paint For Laminate Counterop

Oops, saw that you used oil based primer :) What did you do to get that beautiful design?

Thanks
Gail (10/24/2008)

By GMILES7854

Selecting Paint For Laminate Counterop

Hey, Gail! Sorry it took awhile to reply. I am very pleased how they turned out! Here's what I used:

Behr Premium Plus Oil-Based Primer and Sealer White # 434

Base color: Behr Dark Night Interior Flat (1 gallon)

"Sponge-on" colors:

1. Behr Ultra Pure White Interior Flat (1 quart) - just a touch here and there;

2. Behr Shale Grey Interior Flat (1 quart); it's that light blue color;

3. Behr New Chestnut Interior Flat (1 quart); just a touch here and there - gives it a little natural touch of warmth;

4. FolkArt # 662 Acrylic Paint in Metallic Silver Sterling (I bought it at Crafts Department at Wal-Mart) - it gives the surface a very nice finishing touch of almost mirror-like little spots here and there) - 2 fl.oz. (I think it was like $2);

Of course I also used the base color as well to sponge OFF the other colors.

Now, here is a tip:

Do you know how granite and quartz have that specific shimmer? A sparkle here and there as the sun or light shines on the surface? I did it.

I used a face powder - Maybelline Shimmer or something like that. I know it is almost $8 a pack, but it is totally worth it! Just make sure that you put it on the last coat of wet paint. When you will be doing the first coat of Envirotex (or whatever you choose), it may smear a little, but you can clear out by just working your brush over it - the cloudiness goes away immediately.

After, I put a seal coat of Envirotex, and then a couple of top coats. I am not done with the entire kitchen yet, but as soon as I will be, I'll post the before and after.

I painted the bar countertop while my husband was at work - he came home, and he was blown away! ;-)
(11/24/2008)

By Natasha79

Selecting Paint For Laminate Counterop

Oops! Forgot to add: I tried to use a sponge from Home Depot - specially for sponging paint, but it turned out very rough and with big spots. Then I bought a bath sponge at Wal-Mart. And that's what I used. The spots are finer and much more elegant, so to speak.

Good luck and don't forget to share the pictures! (11/24/2008)

By Natasha79

Selecting Paint for a Laminate Counterop
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
laminate wood flooring
White Marks on Laminate Flooring
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Selecting Good Bell Peppers
real estate agent
Selecting a Real Estate Agent
🎄