Painting Laminate Cabinets

Category Painting
This guide is about painting laminate cabinets. Depending on the composition of the laminate surface and the kind of paint, you may be able to have the cabinets the color you want to see.

I would like to paint my laminate cabinets. They are a beige/yellow color and I don't mind having a textured look and a little darker. Any suggestions?

Lynn from Orlando, FL

Answers

By Shishi (Guest Post)

First degloss the surfaces. "Paso" is the best I have found, but if it is not available in your area, ask your paint store about a good deglosser. You may want to sand lightly with a very fine sandpaper after using the deglosser. Prime with color matched primer for best coverage. You have to ask for this at the paint store.
Textured paint is available, but I wonder how it might affect cleaning, especially in the kitchen. I would choose a semi-gloss, which may be available in a pearl finish (I use Benjamin Moore).
If you feel creative, try one of the faux finish techniques, which can give a textured look without the soil-collecting nooks and crannies.

Thanks! I will try that.

Look up "refinishing laminate cupboards" I did mine and they turned out great.

Can I paint laminate cabinets? I live in a 1970s townhouse and would love to redo the laminate cabinets. I can't afford to replace them.

Thanks for any help!

By Janet H.

Answers

I painted my cabinets that were pressed wood with a layer of that fake cherry on top. We sanded real good and used Gator Gripper to give it some "grab". I would also advise you use a high quality paint. I used Sherwin Williams proclassic acrylic semigloss enamel. I have a 36 handle kitchen and only used half a gallon. It's a thick, almost vinyly paint. Very pleased with it. Roll with a small foam roller. That paint I mentioned is expensive and worth every penny. It still looks the same ten months later. No peel or problems.

Yes, and you don't necessarily need to sand them much. Use some 220 grit sandpaper (and a power sander if you have one, it's much faster) to sand them just until there is no sheen. Then prime them with a good primer. I like Kilz "premium" or the Pittsburgh Paint equivalent for primer and I'm also a huge fan of Sherwin Williams paints.

Oh, and when I did my cabinets, I had a lot of trouble with those white foam rollers - they just pushed the paint around and I hated them so I ended up using a low nape roller and they came out great. Good luck!