Painting Laminate Furniture

Category Refinishing
Painting laminate furniture while requiring a different process than real wood, can easily be done. This is a great way to update and refurbish older furniture. This is a guide about painting laminate furniture.

How do I refinish laminate furniture?

By Roxann from FL Keys

Answers

From what I have read, you first have to sand a little, just enough to get some "teeth" to hold the paint. The most important thing to do is to get a good primer. Zinser123 is the best one in my opinion. You may have to put two coats on. If you do, sand between the coats with a fine sandpaper to get it smooth. Then just paint with any latex in the finish of your choice. If you want the shabby chic look, sand down to the original finish at the edges where it might have gotten worn. Good Luck!

I have a desk made out of pressed wood. Can I paint over this without bad results? and what is the best paint to use? The color is coming off and I would really like to paint it or varnish it. Thank you.

By Mary from Fort Wayne, IN

Answers

What do you mean by "pressed wood"? Particle board, the stuff that is made out of sawdust and glue? What is the surface? I have cupboard doors made out of this that have a paper like covering. I have painted over these successfully with ordinary latex paint. On the decorating shows on TV they always paint furniture made of this stuff with regular latex paint, same stuff you use on your walls. If you want a glossy surface, you will have to go to an enamel or oil base paint.