Painting Laminate Furniture

I have a desk made out of pressed wood. Can I paint over this without bad results? and what is the best paint to use? The color is coming off and I would really like to paint it or varnish it. Thank you.

By mary robinson from Fort Wayne, IN

What do you mean by "pressed wood"? Particle board, the stuff that is made out of sawdust and glue? What is the surface? I have cupboard doors made out of this that have a paper like covering. I have painted over these successfully with ordinary latex paint. On the decorating shows on TV they always paint furniture made of this stuff with regular latex paint, same stuff you use on your walls. If you want a glossy surface, you will have to go to an enamel or oil base paint.