Selling Homemade Pies

Category Business
This is a guide about finding a distributor for homemade pies. Marketing and packaging homemade food products can be a challenging task.

I make sweet potato pies and need to now how to get a distributor to take my product to supermarkets.

By Sandra from NJ

Best Answer

There is a family here in SD that makes kuchen and kolaches that they sell in several grocery stores in the area. I saw them interviewed on the news one night and it sounded and looked like they had a special kitchen set up in their basement. the interview didn't go into licensing, etc. I am assuming when they first started the business they probably made the contacts themselves and delivered the product to the stores too. I don't know what procedure they have now.

If you are going to sell to the public, you will probably need a business license. You will also have to register with your local Health Department. In most states your kitchen will be considered a "restaurant" or a "caterer" and will have to be regularly inspected by the Health Department. You will have to meet all of their requirements for food sanitation, equipment, temperature regulation, etc.

I would start by calling them and finding out what their requirements are and go from there. Good Luck!

I want to start a home business making sweet potato pies. My pies are amazing. I need to know how to have them packaged and sent to stores? Any help would be appreciated.

By a219170 from NJ

Best Answer

In some states you can make the items at home. My cousin & her husband supply pies for some local restaurants. They have a commercial kitchen in their home. I don't think you'd have much luck with grocery stores. Most of the restaurants in my state don't make their own pies (with a few exceptions). They are supplied by people like my cousin. I was surprised at the number of people that thought these places make their own pies.

As far as packaging goes different restaurants want them packaged differently. Most of the pies my cousin just puts in a pie stacker to keep them safe since most of them are going to be sliced & sold by the slice. The restaurants have their own packaging they use for the ones they sell whole.

The first thing you need to do if you want to sell at more than a bake sale is to check out your state regulations! Many states require a license (to ensure food safety) before you can sell commercially. You may need to use an approved kitchen, or stores cannot sell your wares. (You may be able to "rent" kitchen time at a church or other commercially approved kitchen.)

Good luck!