Freezing Pies

Category Desserts
Whether they are leftover from a get together or big day of baking, save your extra pies for later by freezing them. This is a guide about freezing pies.

Chiffon

Prepare as usual. Freeze unwrapped (sitting level). Once frozen, place a paper plate upside down over the top and seal it in heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Fruit

Unbaked: Prepare as usual only add extra thickening (1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch or 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour for each pie) and do not vent top crust. Tray-freeze until firm. Wrap airtight in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Label and freeze.

Baked: Prepare and bake as usual. Cool completely. Wrap airtight in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Label and freeze.

Filling: Prepare as usual only add extra thickening (1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch or 1 to 2 tablespoon of flour for each pie). Line pan with aluminum foil. Pour in filling and freeze until firm. Remove from pan, seal in foil. Label and freeze.

Mincemeat and Nut

Prepare and bake as usual. Cool completely. Tray-freeze until firm. Wrap airtight in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Label and freeze.

Pumpkin

Unbaked: Prepare unbaked pie as usual. Tray-freeze until firm. Wrap airtight in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Label and freeze.

Baked: Prepare and bake as usual. Tray-freeze until firm. Wrap airtight in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Label and freeze.

Pies That Do Not Freeze Well:

Custard pies, meringue pies and cream pies. They will be watery and separate after thawing.

Suitable Packaging:

The best material for freezing pies is heavy-duty aluminum foil or freezer-grade plastic wrap.

Maximum Storage Time at 0ºF

Baked fruit and pecan type pies-6 months; pumpkin-2 months; fully prepare chiffon pies-1 month; baked pie shells-4 to 6 months; unbaked pie shells-2 months.

Thawing:

Leave fruit and pumpkin pies in their wrapping and thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes, or warm then in a 350ºF oven. Unwrap baked pie shells and thaw at room temperature. Thaw unbaked pie shells at room temperature, or bake them (frozen) for 8 to 10 minutes at 475ºF. Thaw chiffon pie at room temperature for 1 hour prior to serving.

Refrigerating:

Fruit and pecan pies stay fresh 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator. Chiffon and custard pies keep 2 to 3 days.

How do I thaw a frozen pecan pie that has been baked? Do I let it thaw on the counter or do I put it in the oven right from the freezer for a short time.

Eliminate one step when baking pies, by freezing them individually "before" baking them. Most often, people bake more than one pie at a time and freeze the extras for another time. Why prepare, bake, freeze, and then reheat again when you can simply prepare and bake them once.

Source: good friend

By oSandi from Sherwood Park, Alberta

After you take your frozen already baked pie from the freezer, at what temperature do you warm it and for how long? And if you don't bake it first, at what temp and for how long do you bake a frozen pie?

By LaurieS

Does an orange chiffon pie freeze well? If so how do I freeze it?

By Sally A.

May I freeze it for Christmas?

By Glinda from Orange, TX

Is it better to freeze or bake a fruit pie if you plan to freeze it?

By CH

I mix up apples for apple pies and freeze them in zip lock bags. When I want to make an apple pie, all I have to do is make the crust, add a little butter and bake it. This apple pie mix will keep a long time in the freezer.

Can I re-freeze a baked pie made with frozen mixed fruit?

By GR

I bought a frozen pie from the store and then cooked it at home. Can you refreeze?

By Louis

I have made buttermilk pies. Once baked, can I freeze them or will the buttermilk curdle once defrosted and heated?

By Kenni

Can you bake pies ahead of time and freeze them? I want to freeze pumpkin and apple pies. If so, how do you keep them from going soggy when thawed?

Sue, from FLA.

Answers:

Freezing Pies

When we bother to bake pumpkin pie, the recipe on the can of pumpkin always fills 2 of the pie crusts from the store so we just slide them into 1 gallon zipper freezer bags, freeze and defrost when we need them. We used to bake them for Halloween, eat one and eat the other on Thanksgiving. But we've gotten out of the habit.

If you want to warm them in the Microwave oven, remember to pop them out of the metal plate and into a Microwave safe pie plate. (11/20/2004)

By Linne Dodds

Apple Pies

On apple pies. Make as usual but DO NOT BAKE. place in freezer container, when ready to bake they will look/taste like just made. been doing it for years. (09/18/2005)

By Annette