Freezing Cherry Pies

Category Desserts
It is often convenient to make your pies ahead of time and keep them frozen until needed. This is a guide about freezing cherry pies.

I am wondering which will work better when freezing my cherry pies. I have 2 of them, with rope that I made on the top instead of covering with my butter pastry. The rope was also made with the homemade butter crust. Do you think they will freeze better unbaked, wrapped with aluminum foil, or shall I bake them, let them completely cool, then wrap and freeze? Thanks and I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

By Kate

Answers

I would suggest placing the pie in a baggie and freeze. When needed, take out of freezer and thaw, then bake as usual. I know it is convenient to have a pie ready to bake, but we prefer freezing the pitted cherries, sugar added. When needed, take from freezer, thaw on low heat, add almond extract and minute tapioca and pour into pie shell. Dot with butter, cover with top crust and bake as usual. I get raves with this method. This is for cherries from our tree, and I haven't used it for the canned cherry pie filling.