Separating Egg Whites from the Yolk

Vote for this contest contender!

My recipe for Angel Food Cake calls for 12 egg whites which takes a dozen or more eggs for me, depending on how many yolks I break. After breaking a yolk on the sharp edge of an egg shell, I found it easier to pour the yolk in my hand and let the remainder of the white slip through my fingers.

The last cake I made took only a dozen eggs. I make a lot of Angel Food cakes and I'll be using this method from now on.

I think egg separators are more sanitary and less messy.

Thank you for telling me this.

I agree, however, it was the only thing I had at the moment. It was not hard to clean up the mess and the eggs were washed before I cracked them. The second time I did it, I put the egg shells in a container of water. I wash out the sticky stuff, set them aside to dry and then I crush them and add to my collection of egg shells I have saved over the year. I put them in the hole when setting tomato and pepper plants. It helps to eliminate blossom rot.

I'll have to invest in an egg separator. I definitely need one. I've never run across one. Where can I find one?

Dollar Tree on up!!

When I submitted this posting, I thought people are going to think this is gross and I shouldn't admit that I do it but then I thought about that $5.00 I would receive if Thriftyfun posted it. I received the $5.00 and I really do appreciate it. Thank you. I have a good use for it.

We make bags holders for picking up roadside litter. They cost us $5.00 each. We do not make them to sell. In the past 2 weeks, I have donated 4 holders to 4 different people that asked me for one to pick up litter in their area. They love it.

It gives me a thrill to meet people that want to clean up roadside trash and I have seen the results of their efforts. As the word spreads, I have a feeling that I will be giving away more bag holders to folks in our area.

I'm hooked on Thriftyfun!!

I don't think it is gross at all. I use my hands all the time when I am cooking. They are my favorite tool and wash easily.

I think this is a great tip. I have seen people do this on cooking shows too. I try not to have too many uni-taskers in my kitchen. As I rarely need to separate eggs, I will be trying your technique the next time.

Thanks, Jess. I just saw in another article by likekinds that was submitted 2 years ago. He had discovered the same trick. It is quick and easy and I just may keep on doing it this way. I love gadgets that have multiple uses and my hands are one of them.

Separating Egg Yolk From Whites
Separating Egg Whites
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsMarch 7, 2017
Beating Egg Whites
Tips for Beating Egg Whites
Bluing
Using Bluing
egg yolk in shell half
Uses for Egg Yolks
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 8:22:34 AM on 10.0.0.196 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.