Shaving Your Bikini Area

Category Shaving
A pink razor.
Care must be taken when shaving your bikini area to get a close, smooth finish, without causing irritation. This is a guide about shaving your bikini area.

When I shave my bikini line I get little red bumps. I've tried wax but that hurts too much. Does anyone have any tips?

By Lil L from Winnipeg, MB

Use Nair or other hair removal cream. Works like a charm without the rash.

Anonymous

The rule of thumb is to shave in the same direction of the hair growth. Usually in the bikini area the hair grows from you know where slightly down and out towards your outer upper thighs. If you shave in that direction you will rarely get a rash or breakout. Also, I found that using a mild soap lather rather than shaving cream greatly reduces possible irritation along with letting the soap lather soften/moisturize the area for a minute or two before shaving.

Ask any man, especially those who use razor blades on their face, and the majority will concur ;-)

I have the same problem, when you get out of the shower, put rubbing alchohol where you shaved. It burns like fire but works wonderfully.

Use witch hazel, it does not burn as bad as alcohol does. Also you should try using nair hair remover. I use razors and I also use nair hair remover. Nair does a wonderful job, it just smell bad. I seldom use the razors, when I have lots of time!

Does anyone have any ideas on shaving the bikini area? I did the "follow the hair line and then go against it" idea. I still have red itchy bumps. Any ideas? It is bathing suit season, and I don't want to walk around this summer with red itchy bumps. The only other alternative is not to shave there and I do not want to go there. Thank you for any advice.

Lisa from Westland, MI

Answers:

Shaving the Bikini Area

I tried the Nair bladeless shaving kit for my bikini line the other day and it worked great! I was really surprised that it worked so well without any irritation. Do test it in a small area first though. (05/30/2007)

By Allison

Shaving the Bikini Area

I find that rubbing baby oil on after I shave, or even if I don't, while still in the shower prevents the bumps from ever coming. (05/31/2007)

By J Ross

Shaving the Bikini Area

I have heard that applying a thin layer of itch cream (like Benadryl or Cortisone) after shaving prevents the bumps. P.S. It's always good to use a fresh shaver with at least two blades. Good luck! (05/31/2007)

By Mary

Shaving the Bikini Area

From my own personal experience I can say use Schick Silk Effects Plus razors. They are perfect for sensitive skin especially in those delicate areas. They have a nick guard and a moisturizing strip and it is the best razor out there for very sensitive skin. Shave gels can cause irritation too, so be sure to use a shave gel for sensitive skin. Should you still have irritation, try using Bikini Zone. It's a cream designed for razor burn for the bikini area. (05/31/2007)

By michellejones3

Shaving the Bikini Area

Hey. I find that just using your daily cream rinse that you use after you wash your hair works well. All you do is put some in that area and make it bubbly, then shave with your razor. It may take a few tries, but it's worth it. No razor burns, bumps, itching, nothing. It actually is nice and smooth. I got this idea from my best friend. I kind of looked at her silly, but I gave it a try and it worked. Haven't gone back to shaving cream either. Good luck. (05/31/2007)

By Bonnie

Shaving the Bikini Area

The easiest way I have found is to shave with conditioner. Do this every day! But after a couple of weeks it turns into like your underarms. If you make it an every day thing, bubbles will no longer appear except when you hold off for a week or so. (05/31/2007)

By puppypal

Shaving the Bikini Area

I use conditioner also, and like puppypal, I too shave everyday. I only get bumps now if I go for a couple of days without shaving. Also, if you get a few nicks, dab on a little bit of witch hazel and roll on some deodorant. Hope this helps! :0) (05/31/2007)

By CHRISTSAM2001

Shaving the Bikini Area

I used to get those bumps too, but I just started using a new 3 blade Daisy disposable razor with shaving cream. I shave in the direction of the hair line, and for the first time no bumps. I don't shave that often (perhaps once or twice a week) and still no bumps. Hope this helps! (06/01/2007)

By Georgie

Shaving the Bikini Area

I've found that after using conditioner and a new blade, taking an ordinary stick of deodorant (I use one JUST for this), and going WITH the grain/growth of the hair, it keeps down on any irritation and gives a nice soothing feel to the freshly shaved area. (06/01/2007)

By dinkly

Shaving the Bikini Area

I forgot to add that I also use one of the scrubby things just to make sure I've got all the stubble standing (rather than starting to grow just under the skin) before I shave. This makes sure there's never that one sneaky hair that gets missed a few times :-) (06/01/2007)

By dinkly

Shaving the Bikini Area

Every time I shaved my bikini area I got those annoying bumps and it would burn afterward. My husband dry shaves (without water or wetting the area) because he is allergic to most shaving creams so I figured I would try it. This is going to sound painful but it really isn't.

Wipe some baby powder on the area and dry shave. Make sure you have a razor with good blades. I can't do it with my legs because I have really dry skin but it works great with the underarms and bikini area. It takes less time, you don't have to jump in the shower or bath, and it doesn't matter which direction you shave in. (09/10/2007)

By Barbara

Shaving the Bikini Area

I use hair conditioner to do all my shaving. It is inexpensive and leaves you so soft. (09/10/2007)

By imaqt1962

Shaving the Bikini Area

I have used a product called TENDSKIN for years. I use it right after shaving or waxing and every time I get out of the shower. It prevents shaving rash, red bumps, and ingrown hairs.

To avoid shaving so often during the summer months try a bikini wax at a reputable salon. They remove the hairs that hang out of your bikini. Be sure to outline your skimpiest suit with a ballpoint pen, so they know the outline.

A Brazilian wax is even more daring, takes you "bald". Great way to stay cool during the hot summer months, prevent urinary tract infections, and reduce yeast infections. There is simply less for the moisture and bacteria to get trapped on/in.

I am an OB/GYB and have recommended the Brazilian to my patients who get frequent yeast infections for over 25 years with tremendous success! (06/08/2008)

By Bald Soccermom

Shaving the Bikini Area

I have been shaving my entire bikini area for years and love it. Don't use disposable razors. The quality is poor. I like the new Gillette with the vibrating head. It gives a very close shave without irritation. Just my opinion. (06/19/2008)

By Ready