Using Hair Conditioner for Shaving Your Legs

Save money on shaving gels and lotions by using hair conditioner to shave your legs. This is a guide about using hair conditioner for shaving your legs.

To save a few bucks, use hair conditioner not shaving cream. Shaving cream creates a layer between the razor and your skin while protecting from nicks and cuts. Conditioners work just as well and they moisturize while you shave.

Source: All You magazine

By Charlene from Concord, NC

My aunt taught me a long time ago that if you use hair conditioner for shave lotion/gel/cream it works just as good, even better. I have used this for years. A couple of years ago I got married, and my husband uses it now for his face. His face is sensitive. It works :)

By Carissa from LA

Ever wonder what to use those 'conditioner' samples that come in the mail or brands you didn't care for? Well, wonder no more! I keep those little gems for when I need to shave.

I find the packets difficult to open in the shower, so just pre-open them or squeeze them all into a bottle or jar. Much cheaper than shaving gel or foam, and much nicer on your skin. A breeze when travelling too!

Use cheap conditioner instead of shaving cream to shave your legs. It costs less, will last longer and actually works better! It's also a great way to get rid of the conditioners you didn't like for your hair. I use Suave.

By Marie from TN

Answers:

Hair Conditioner for Shaving Your Legs

I've been doing this for a couple of years and it's great! I actually prefer it to shave cream now. (01/26/2010)

By Lori

Almost everyone buys the occasional bottle of hair conditioner that just doesn't suit them. Don't throw it out. It makes great shaving cream for legs and underarms.

By Gailya Illsley from Lillington, NC

Answers:

Hair Conditioner for Shaving Your Legs

Does anyone know if conditioner goes bad? I have a lot of the small size bottles from hotel stays and some I've had quite a while. Just wondering if there's ingredients in them that "spoil"? (09/11/2009)

By Debbie Dzurilla

Shaving lotion. I use hair conditioner to shave my legs. Saves tons of $ on expensive shaving gels and lotions. This also moisturizes and softens your skin. Been doing this for years, and it works great. Saves time in shower and money on "beauty" items. I often buy store brand or cheap conditioner on sale, 79 cents a bottle, and stash it away.

By Carla from Sellersville, PA

Answers:

Hair Conditioner for Shaving Your Legs

I've been doing this for years. In fact I posted this idea some time ago, but evidently it got lost in the shuffle as I never saw it posted.

I also love the idea of using hand/body lotion. I have enough of that around the house to open a store and was wondering what I would do with all of it. Now I know. Thank you. (06/23/2009)

By Kathy

Hair Conditioner for Shaving Your Legs

I use shampoo. I lather up my hair in the shower, scrape off some of the excess and apply to my legs and underarms. It works great. I wouldn't dream of paying for those expensive products. (06/23/2009)

By Sharon Bingham

I used to spend a lot of money for shaving products and always was either cutting or scraping my skin. Now I use hair conditioner, it's smoother and I get a closer shave.

By Dawn from Norwalk, CT

Answers:

Hair Conditioner for Shaving Your Legs

This frugal tip never crossed my mind, thanks! (10/16/2008)

By Marjorie

Hair Conditioner for Shaving Your Legs

I have done the same thing and used conditioner to shave my legs. The other day one of the stores had bottles of conditioner for 50 cents a bottle so I picked up extras. I have also used men's shaving cream because I found most of the time it was cheaper than the women's brands.

LI Roe (10/16/2008)

By Roseanna

Hair Conditioner for Shaving Your Legs

I like how soft the conditioner leaves my underarms. Great idea (10/17/2008)

By Shelia

Hair Conditioner for Shaving Your Legs

I've done this for years and you are right, much smoother and softer when you are done. I found that shaving cream (even aloe filled ones that promise moisturizing goodness) totally dries out my legs and gives me gam-druff. (10/18/2008)

By Leslie

Hair Conditioner for Shaving Your Legs

Actually, body lotions and hair gels (I read it on a bottle of a hair gel) can be used for this purpose as well. (10/23/2008)

By Natasha

If you run out of shaving cream, or if you have purchased a hair conditioner that just doesn't seem to work for your hair, use it as a shaving cream!