Removing Hair Without Shaving or Waxing

Category Removal
There are alternative methods for removing hair on your legs that don't involve shaving or waxing. This is a guide about removing hair without shaving or waxing.

Every girl at my school shaves their legs and I'm not allowed to! I've asked my mom, tried to make a deal, even asked my dad! I have alot of hair on my legs! Is there a way to keep the hair from growing on my legs or to get rid of the hair without shaving or waxing?

Thanks,
Ana

Answers

Best Answer

I think some clearer communication between you and your parents is needed here. It won't be easy, but if you can sit down with them and talk about the topic CALMLY and WITHOUT DEFENSIVENESS, it would help greatly.

Try to find out exactly what it is that they object to. Is it the process of shaving (or waxing) itself that they object to? If so, ask why. Are they afraid you will cut or burn yourself?

Or perhaps they object to the idea of changing your body just to fit the fashion?

Or maybe they feel that they would be losing their "baby" by facing the fact that you are old enough to start developing body hair?

One of the most helpful suggestions I can give you about better communication, is to paraphrase what the other person is saying. Don't just parrot the exact words back to them. Instead, restate their point of view in different words, or maybe ask questions about what they just said. In this way, they will feel as if you have really heard them and are thinking about and understand their viewpoint. Doing this can prevent a lot of defensiveness that comes from you just arguing your point, and them arguing theirs. Neither side feels listened to. And as a parent myself, I know that I am not willing to discuss an issue unless my child acts responsibly enough to listen to me also.

Please don't go against your parents' wishes. But by truly understanding the WHYs of their decision, perhaps you can present counterarguments to convince them to change their mind. And I agree with Barb that after you talk with your parents and understand their decision, if they still say no, perhaps you could talk it over with another adult and have him/her be your advocate.

Best wishes!

Hi Ana! You don't say how old you are. Perhaps your mother thinks you're too young. There are hair removal products that are neither shaving or waxing but I think you would still need your mother's approval. If you're 14 or 15, I hope your mother will think hard about her decision. However, please respect your parents enough to abide by their rules. Just because "everyone else does it" is never a good reason to do anything. God bless you, Ana!

Get a bottle of Veet from any drugstore or Wal-Mart. You spray it on, wait 5 mins, then rinse or scrub it off. It does work, but shaving would be more for the environment.

Nair should do the trick.