Browsing: Shopping For Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Shopping For Clothing

Make clothing shopping a bit easier and more economical by following a few simple tips. This is a guide about shopping for clothing.

Woman Shopping For Clothing
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 3, 2012 Flag

I'm trying to find elastic waist, washable skirts as well as "house dresses" for my granny. She's staying in a nursing home for rehab after a stroke and they have lost or ruined the majority of her clothing. I'm at a loss on where to find this type of thing. I did find one house dress at a thrift store, but that was after visiting several. I found some elastic waist pants at JC Penny, but she gets very upset when asked to wear pants. Any stores where you have recently seen this type of clothing would be so helpful!

By CKD

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Just a thought, but there are an awful lot of really cute loungewear gowns (in pajama departments) that look like casual dresses available. There are also moo moo dresses that are quite comfortable. Both types come in assorted solid colors and patterns. Try stores like Target, Walmart, Penney's, Sears, etc for the lowest prices. Here's a picture example of a moo moo (also spelled muu muu) in case you're not sure what they are:

Best Answer

How about some "scrubs" like medical personnel wear? You can get them pretty inexpensively, and lots of them are mix-and-match with the colors/patterns. They are very comfortable to wear.

Read More Answers...

June 24, 2010 Flag

I have purchased brand new Brighton and Vera Bradley handbags and high end fashionable clothing by Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, etc. at the Salvation Army. I have found that the key to getting a good clothing bargain whether at a thrift store or high-end store is to only buy if it is exactly what I like.

Shirts:

Raise your arms. Does the shirt rise up to your waist and stay there? Very unflattering and you are unlikely to want to spend the day pulling it back down. Put your arms straight out as though sleep-walking. Does the sleeve cut into the inside of your arm? Don't buy clothing that fights movement. You will need to raise your arms every time you take an item off a shelf.

Is the shirt likely to have a built-in wardrobe malfunction? Most ladies shirts are cut too low to wear to work unless you have a cami that matches. Do you have one? If not, is it still worth the price if you have to purchase one? Is the color and fit flattering? Will you look forward to wearing it? If not, don't bother. You will just end up stuffing it into a donation bag or leaving it at the back of your closet.

Avoid shirts with machine stitched illustrations, i.e,. kittens and birdhouses, unless you don't mind looking older.

Shoes:

Unless they are so comfortable that you could immediately put them on and wear them for the rest of the day, don't even think of buying them.

Slacks and skirts:

Only buy neutrals. They are usually the most flattering. If you will only have one top that matches the lime green pants, you will never be able to find that top when you need it. In addition, matchy-match outfits, i.e., Bonworth (my mom loves that store) are aging. Avoid elasticized waists in anything but casual gym clothes. There may be some exceptions in casual wear, but not many. Fitted just looks more together and professional.

Sit down. Does the back dip too low for decency? Don't rely on belts or long blouses to cover rear cleavage, this is just too risky, although belts will work for closing a gap in back. Stick with a style or two that are flattering for your figure type. Remember back pocket flaps add bulk. They only flatter the very slimmest of figures. Pencil skirts look good on most everyone, but contrary to the old fashion advice, A-line skirts do not. They spread out like full sail on the mother ship which is not exactly the most flattering silhouette.

Dresses:

I don't own any because I can't mix and match with them and most are too dressy for a more casual work environment. But if you need one, often the best buy is a simple style in solid black, gray, navy, or beige that can be accessorized for different looks and occasions. Dress styles go out of fashion very quickly, so trendy looks are not the best buy.

Purses:

Purses are fun and I own more than I really need. I just can't pass up a beautiful Italian leather bag for under ten dollars. But, once again, neutrals are the best buy. I have a red purse that I feel guilty about because I just don't want to take the time to seek it out on the days I am wearing clothes it won't clash with.

Glasses:

If you are over 40, get the advice of a teen or 20-something. I wore large-frame 80's era glasses I thought were cute and my trademark look until my 9th grade students started torturing me with comments such as, "Why do you want to look old?" They were right. Updating your look makes you look and feel more youthful. There is a huge difference between maintaining a youthful appearance and dressing embarrassingly like a teenager. They know the difference and so can we.

By SusannL from St. Cloud, FL

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 9, 2009 Flag

What are some good clothing stores for juniors that offer clothing at a reasonable price? I am not looking for Hollister, Abercombie, American Eagle, or Areopostale. Sorry I don't like wearing them. I like some skater stuff and some preppy stuff.

By sweetpeadtg

Best Answer

Never underestimate thrift shopping. Look up thrift, Salvation Army, and Goodwill on map quest. Prices are cheap and they have tons of options.

Best Answer

Hey, try Rue 21. Their clothes are skater and preppy. They have great clearance prices, ranging from .99 to like $10.

Read More Answers...

February 24, 2011 Flag

When is the best time to shop seasonal clearances on women's clothes? I know they always have sales, but which one is the best one?

By Margaret

Best Answer

Here in the Midwest, the summer stock is needed gone for room for fall and winter merchandise beginning July 4. The winter is needed gone around Presidents Day.

I went to Sears during their Presidents Day Sale and I was able to get my daughter 122.00 worth of clothes for a mere 22.00! They were having a huge sale. And when I went to scan the items, they were cheaper than the sticker price! (A sale on top of a sale!) If a store has a price check/scanner, use it! It can be cheaper than the sticker price!

Read More Answers...

July 24, 2013 Flag

When I am deciding to buy clothing, I ask myself how many times I would be wearing the item. My rule is a dollar a day. So if the top I am going to buy is $10.00, will I at least wear it 10 times? If I don't think I will, then it is not a bargain.

March 1, 2010 Flag

Returning clothing you have purchased is a hassle no one wants to have to deal with. I hate when I buy something and it doesn't match, or I pass up an item on sale because I didn't remember I had a new skirt it would have been perfect for until I got back home.

March 16, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about buying pants without trying them on. Trying on clothes can sometimes be more of a chore than an adventure. Save time by learning to measure pants for a good fit without trying them on.

Close-up of a pair of jeans with a measuring tape curled on top and through the belt loop against a wooden background

June 3, 2008 Flag

Save money when shopping for clothing. Always turn the garment wrong side out and check the seams and hem for loose or broken threads. NEVER pull a thread to break it. Always cut it with scissors. If the garment is damaged or has a spot on it, you can ask the clerk for a discount.

April 13, 2007 Flag

When you need new clothes, if at all possible, buy garments that are washable. Otherwise, you are definitely adding to the cost of the jacket, fancy dress, or whatever!

May 28, 2008 Flag

This tip is for any one wanting to match an item of clothing. Take a spool of thread in the color you are looking for when you go shopping. It's much easier than taking the item of clothing with you to the store.

February 14, 2007 Flag

When looking for clothes, be unisex if you can. Women can wear most male styles nowadays and masculine clothing is much better made. In the old days, I wore guys' Levis 501's before they made them especially for women, and my first jeans jacket was a boy's size!

June 15, 2007 Flag

I always travel with a measuring tape and a small note on which I write my measurements, especially. I save both in the plastic yellow egg that comes inside the Kinder chocolate egg.

January 4, 2008 Flag

When you decide to go shopping for clothing, always do so at the end of the season. Just before Christmas, I went shopping for clothing for my daughter. Every item I purchased was marked down. e.g.; a $39.99 sweater for $13.00.

April 1, 2005 Flag

I am looking for some womens clothing catalogs that have reasonably priced value-conscious casual clothing in misses and plus sizes. Most of the catalogs I receive have an "upscale" price to match the upscale image. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!
    Tori

Best Answer

Try Roamans, JC Penney has a plus size catalog and I like Blair, too.

Best Answer

I like this company. I'm a plus size gal.

www.newportnewscatalog.com/

Read More Answers...

February 24, 2011 Flag

I read about shopping when clothes and other items are on clearance, but when is the best time to shop summer clearance? Winter clearance? I just bought a new home and our budget is tight, so any where I can save money, I'll try. Please post your tried and true ideas.

Regina

Answers:

The Best Time To Shop Clearance Sales

Now is the time, if you are looking for furniture, this is the time of year the furniture stores clear out merchandise on the floor to make room for new items. Also, consignment furniture stores are wonderful. As they say, don't judge a book by its cover. Any upholstery item can be reupholstered for an updated look. (07/01/2005)

By Marn

The Best Time To Shop Clearance Sales

Not long after a new season, the sales start up. You can even ask a store when their sales start up.
    Just about the time the 4th of July is here and you need a pair of shorts, it's a good time. They are already putting school supplies out by then. A good time for furniture is in the fall. Lazy Boy chairs go on sale (2 for 1) every November. Fabric at Wall Mart goes on sale in February. January is always White Sales and Rubber Maid. I always ask a department manager if I'm not sure, because sometimes it's different from what I predicted. (07/01/2005)

By Ardis

The Best Time To Shop Clearance Sales

I shop clearance to save on my 2 boys' clothes. I shop for winter during the 3rd or 4th wk of January and summer around the middle of July, give or take a week. I have gotten over $150 worth of clothes for around $30 on my best trip! My three favorite words are clearance, close-out, and free. (07/02/2005)

By Julie

The Best Time To Shop Clearance Sales

Here in the Midwest, the summer stock is needed gone for room for fall and winter merchandise beginning July 4. The winter is needed gone around President's Day. (12/11/2010)

By Toebeanie

Consumer Advice Shopping Apparel & FashionJanuary 10, 2013
    couple reading canned food label at the market
    Grocery Shopping Strategies
    Catalog Shopping
    Catalog Shopping Tips
    Making a Reusable Shopping Bag
    Making a Reusable Shopping Bag
    young man shopping
    Budgeting for Clothing
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 27, 2016 at 4:43:10 AM on 10.0.2.241 in 446 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.