Shredded Wheat & Eggs Recipes

This guide contains recipes for shredded wheat and eggs. This old fashioned breakfast dish is a yummy alternative to eggs and toast.

February 5, 2008 Flag

My grandmother used to feed this to my father when he was a boy. He loves it to this day. I remember the first time she cooked it for me. I thought it was odd as my own mother only gave us the shredded wheat with hot milk and sugar - but then I tasted it and was sold for good! This is a great alternative to eggs and toast! Even my picky husband and kids love it. Try it - you'll love it too!

Ingredients

Hint - one egg per one shredded wheat square.

Directions

Heat pan on medium high heat. Place shredded wheat in a wide bowl or on a deep plate (flatter old fashioned soup-style bowl). Boil water in a teakettle or pot.

Fry egg(s) to over easy, need the whites cooked and yolks should be runny (important!). Before the egg(s) are fully cooked, (after flipping egg to other side), pour the boiling water over the shredded wheat and immediately drain the water off in sink, holding them down with the spatula/flipper. You'll need to work fast so the eggs don't get overcooked.

Place one tablespoon of butter or margarine on each of the shredded wheat square used. Place the cooked egg(s) on the shredded wheat. Salt and pepper to taste. Use a fork to mix them up, mushing the yolk into the shredded wheat

Enjoy

Yield: One Serving

Source: This is my paternal grandmother's recipe. It is so good! Much better than egg and toast! Pure butter is actually good for us when used in moderation; however, if you are paranoid about using real butter and 'frying', you can use a poached or soft boiled egg and margarine - still make sure the egg yolk is loose. The egg yolk is what adds to the overall taste and texture of this dish.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

The shredded wheat squares work better and are easy to work with, but I have used the mini shredded wheat in the past (the plain ones not the frosted ones). You'll have to adjust, but you could use about 1/2 cup of the plain mini shredded wheats in plain of one of the larger biscuits. Use a larger spatula to drain off the water so you don't lose any of the mini wheats down the drain.

January 21, 2005 Flag

This was my favorite breakfast as a child. It still is, as a matter of fact. Whether you use 1 or 2 Shredded Wheat biscuits depends on your appetite.

Directions:

Place Shredded Wheat biscuits on a plate. Pour enough boiled water over the Shredded Wheat to soften it. Drain off as much water as you can. Put 2 pats of butter on each biscuit. Add salt and pepper. Fry your eggs over easy, or sunny side up. Place 1 egg on each biscuit. Add crispy bacon bits, if you like. Enjoy!

Note: This is best with runny eggs.

By Bertwils

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I was a child, my dad made this for my sister, brother and I. He poured boiling water over the shredded wheat in a bowl, added the over easy eggs, butter, salt and pepper. Then you sort of stir it up to break the yolk. It is great comfort food and we loved it. Now I prepare it for my children. No one I've ever mentioned it to is familiar with it, but it is very like an egg over grits or fried eggs on toast.

Food and Recipes Recipes BreakfastDecember 14, 2015
Shredded Paper
Making Shredded Paper for Crafts
Waste Bin Full of Shredded Paper
Recycling Shredded Paper
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Shredded cabbage
Uses for Bagged Shredded Cabbage
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 15, 2017 at 8:58:19 PM on 10.0.1.142 in 894 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.