Sewing MachinesMachines

Singer Treadle Sewing Machine Stopped Working

I have a Singer treadle sewing machine that worked a straight stitch pretty well when I got it. Now it won't sew at all and the thread keeps bunching under the fabric. It's acting like it's doing a zig zag stitch instead of sewing a straight stitch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

By Barbara

Most of the time when thread bunches up under the fabric it is because of the bobbin is out of whack. There is a tiny little "screw" on it, which you can take a machine tool (tiny screwdriver) and adjust. I don't know anything about these older machines, you will have to look your bobbin over and see if it has the "tiny screw".

At any rate, it is a "try it and see" operation, you move the screw one way and then see what it does on scrap material and if it is not to your liking, you move it some more or go in the opposite direction. Sorry, can't help you more, I am a "mid-level" seamstress only. Also, cheap thread will also tend to do this, I used to use it, but now use "better" thread. The aggravation is just not worth it.

I'm posting a link to a website that posts a treadle and hand crank repair and refurbishment manual. The site, Tools For Self-Reliance, does outstanding 'teach-a-man-to-fish' charity work and one of the projects is to refurbish non-electric sewing machines to be distributed in countries where electricity is not the every day thing is is to us in the UK and US. The manual is comprehensive, if you sew with a treadle or hand crank machine, you need this manual!

http://www.tfsr  _machine_manual/

It is a huge manual and is presented in small bites to download.