Skin Lightening Tips

There are some commercial products as well as homemade solutions that can be used to lighten a dark complexion or dark spots on your skin. This is a guide about skin lightening tips.

January 7, 2015 Flag

How do I get my skin tone back after burning and it going darker?

By April

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Stay out of the sun, and it will fade in time. However, a darker tan will help prevent future burns. Here in Canada people work hard to get darker tans, and many go to tanning salons to lay on "sunbeds" - artificial lights that simulate the sun's rays - to develop a tan.

January 19, 2015 Flag

I was naturally fair 6 months ago, but now I became tan. I Don't know the reason for my tan. Could anyone suggest how to get back my old color?

By Rahman from Chennai

People tan because they have been in the sun. If your tan was not caused by this, you should see a doctor. If it was caused by the sun, it will lighten if you stay out of the sun or cover up, or wear sunscreen.

How can I get my fair colour

January 26, 2015 Flag

My skin color turned black slowly. Could anyone suggest how I can turn it white?

By Shayan

Suggest you see a doctor for help.

I also suggest a doctor. Skin will darken in the sun, of course, from a tan, and lighten if you stay out of the sun. Any other colour is reason to see a doctor. Of course, in the 19th century, women "whitened" their complexions by taking arsenic, which made them anemic, hence pale. Of course, it also slowly poisoned them, and some did die. Not something that I'd recommend.

June 21, 2010 Flag

Well, my race is actually black, but I was born with very fair skin, like white skin tone, when I was a baby. When I got older it turned to light yellow skin tone and I have stayed out of the sun and always kept my light yellow complexion.

But I went to the fair over 2 years ago and I was exposed to the sun rays for 2 hours and I got tanned badly, like from yellow to red. I want to get rid of it. But how?

By Quan from St. Paul, MN

Quan, I agree with Deeli. My mother is very fair skinned my father was very dark. I have darkish skin which I am very proud of! My sister is much paler than I and admits to being envious. She looks so pasty without makeup whereas I can go out with a slick of lip gloss and I look so healthy and glowing! So many people have complemented me on my skin color. Be proud of who you are, and be thankful you aren't pale and pasty (no offense to anybody) but a warm and vibrant color! Besides which, bright colors look so good on you whilst fairer people look "washed out" in them. The person who stands out most in a crowd would be somebody like you especially if you are wearing a stunning colored outfit!

You should not use hydroquinone. It is dangerous especially all over your body. We live in a society that tells you that you are better off being white with yellow hair, this is a shame that this country and some others are so racist. Hitler did the same with his Aryan race theory. Use sunscreen yes-everyone should. but love yourself. do not fall prey to racist propaganda. you do not keep a sunburn for 2 years so you should check out your skin. If there is no problem-find all the people of color who have done great things and do great things yourself.

February 24, 2013 Flag

I'm 33 yrs old. My dream is to make my skin white. I have a brown complexion. Does anyone have some cheap suggestions for ways to do this at home?

By Jessica P.

First, there is no way you can do that without risking "ruin". Older methods could ruin your kidneys and of course never worked that well.

But you can, brighten your natural complexion so your skin is soft and has a good glow. Once or twice a week take a lemon slice and rub your skin with it and let dry. Rinse after 10 minutes. Once or twice a month take 3 plain aspirins and crush them well. Dab at the crushed powder with a barely damp washcloth or baby wipe and rub your face with the powder. Leave 10 minutes again and rinse. The rest of the days wipe your face with a solution of 1 cup water and 2 teaspoons liquid glycerine which you will find in the pharmacy near Witch Hazel which you can add to the glycerine solution if you like.

I don't know where you live, but these things aren't too expensive. Glycerine is found in the Walmart pharmacy area by witch hazel an rubbing alcohol, peroxide. There are glycerine products used for constipation. This is not that use. This is for soothing skin and keeping it moist and smooth. The same mixture can also be used as a hair detangler, which I use on my great granddaughter's hair.

Another thing to do to bring your skin to life is use a mild soap, without scent. Put some salad oil on your face, and make a bowl of fairly warm water. Splash skin with water and soap with hands, not washcloth. Rinse about 20 times and pat dry. If you prefer that, skip the glycerine routine as using the oil and glycerine treatments are likely to be just too much and cause breakouts. The glycerine never will by itself though. You won't need lotions or any face cream if using the glycerine solution.

What does the lemon or aspirin routine do? It will gradually get rid of old/dead skin cells and leave moist, new skin on the top, and people will just notice your skin is looking alive and healthy.

If you live in a very hot climate, you could use a hat, or a baby sunscreen.

This isn't a whitening tip, just a general comment. White skin isn't all that lovely. As you age it becomes blotchier, more likely to develop skin cancer, and generally a person tends to look like a dead body unless wearing makeup. And you may spend a small fortune on cosmetic coverups which change with sun exposure and the seasons.

If you have a nice, even complexion, be grateful!

Eat healthy, hold your head up high, and be proud of whom you are.

When you hit your 50's, your skin will whiten on it's own.

November 19, 2013 Flag

How can I lighten my dark brown skin and lips naturally at home? I am from Trinidad.

By Kate

You must have lovely skin! You may have to find a way to be happy with your natural color.

I agree with the previous poster. There is nothing you can use at home that will lighten your skin safely. Please try to see the beauty in the colour of skin that you have. I am sure it is lovely.

September 29, 2007 Flag

My complexion has become very dark since I started playing for my school's team in the sun.can anyone please tell me how to remove this dreadful tan and lighten my complexion?

I also have this problem and I hate it! People think im black, when i am RUSSIAN its horrible. People say its beautiful and I guess I'd look weird without it, but i hate how everyone is always commenting on it , wow your so tan, do you use tanner. Even the lunh lady at school asked about it. I just try using a lighter foundation or powder(they dont even have my color) so I just try that. Im the one on the left, and right now im like 18 shades darker than that.

I have this problem too, we're outside for 8 hours everyday for 3 months and then for 4 hrs for 4 more months. I have a very light complexion naturally, but I'm Arab/Indian and Puerto Rican so I tan easily. I use Lemon juice on my skin all over after I take a shower and I use body scrubs with a loofa, to try and "scrub" the dead tan skin cells off. I've found that the scrub works the best because I see that those tanned skin cells have come off and my tan lines aren't as visable so I suppose it works.

July 18, 2010 Flag

What is the cream that you use to increase the fairness of your face?

By John from Niagara Falls, NY

One of the best skin lighteners around comes from Avon, called Banishing Cream, if you want to buy one. I get it for my mom all the time, and use it on my hands some too. But if you do not want to buy a product, just use a cotton ball or QTip and dab on fresh lemon juice once in a while. It is great for the skin, lightens naturally, and you will smell lemon-fresh.

Another brand avail at most stores is Porcelana, but I agree with jacketbacker, that the Avon Banishing Cream is the best over the counter. Regular price is $8.50, but is currently on sale at for $3.99. You can also call 1-800-ForAvon to find a representative near you. The best thing about it, is that if it doesn't work, you can always return it for a refund or replacement with Avon.

September 3, 2011 Flag

How can I lighten my skin using fruit? I also would like to know some remedies for pimples on my face. How can I protect my skin so as not to have them?

By Flower from Thailand

For pimples on your face, my daughter swears by Milk of Magnesia. She puts it on her face, waits a few minutes and washes it off. She does this while she is in the shower every day.

June 7, 2011 Flag

My face got darker. What should I do to lighten it in a natural way?

By Zahira

Baby oil with lemon juice in it. Takes awhile, but natural.

Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care AdviceJune 8, 2013
Greased Lightning
Greased Lightning Reviews
bandaid covering a skin tag
Remedies for Skin Tags
An apricot cut in half.
Peeling Apricots
A woman cleaning her face with skin toner.
Homemade Skin Toner