Skin Lightening Tips

There are some commercial products as well as homemade solutions that can be used to lighten a dark complexion or dark spots on your skin. This is a guide about skin lightening tips.

January 7, 2015 Flag

How do I get my skin tone back after burning and it going darker?

By April

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Stay out of the sun, and it will fade in time. However, a darker tan will help prevent future burns. Here in Canada people work hard to get darker tans, and many go to tanning salons to lay on "sunbeds" - artificial lights that simulate the sun's rays - to develop a tan.

January 19, 2015 Flag

I was naturally fair 6 months ago, but now I became tan. I Don't know the reason for my tan. Could anyone suggest how to get back my old color?

By Rahman from Chennai

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

People tan because they have been in the sun. If your tan was not caused by this, you should see a doctor. If it was caused by the sun, it will lighten if you stay out of the sun or cover up, or wear sunscreen.

How can I get my fair colour

January 26, 2015 Flag

My skin color turned black slowly. Could anyone suggest how I can turn it white?

By Shayan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Suggest you see a doctor for help.

I also suggest a doctor. Skin will darken in the sun, of course, from a tan, and lighten if you stay out of the sun. Any other colour is reason to see a doctor. Of course, in the 19th century, women "whitened" their complexions by taking arsenic, which made them anemic, hence pale. Of course, it also slowly poisoned them, and some did die. Not something that I'd recommend.

June 21, 2010 Flag

Well, my race is actually black, but I was born with very fair skin, like white skin tone, when I was a baby. When I got older it turned to light yellow skin tone and I have stayed out of the sun and always kept my light yellow complexion.

But I went to the fair over 2 years ago and I was exposed to the sun rays for 2 hours and I got tanned badly, like from yellow to red. I want to get rid of it. But how?

By Quan from St. Paul, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You should not use hydroquinone. It is dangerous especially all over your body. We live in a society that tells you that you are better off being white with yellow hair, this is a shame that this country and some others are so racist. Hitler did the same with his Aryan race theory. Use sunscreen yes-everyone should. but love yourself. do not fall prey to racist propaganda. you do not keep a sunburn for 2 years so you should check out your skin. If there is no problem-find all the people of color who have done great things and do great things yourself.

I randomly came across this post and after skimming the comments, decided to post some actual product advice from my personal experience of getting my skin pale, FAST.

I have been a professional fashion model for almost 5 years now, and with the jobs comes a lot of hair coloring, and believe it or not: skin coloring... depending on what country you are working in. In America/ Europe, tan skin is desirable so you see "build a tan" lotions everywhere! However, in Asia, very pale skin is desirable and considered "beautiful".

So when I went to model in Asia and was constantly told they couldn't book me because I was too "tan", I realized I had to get very pale in a matter of weeks since my job bookings depended on it! I started asking the other models and researching how to whiten my skin without bleaching it because that is horrible for you.

The funny thing is that just as L'oreal, Nivea, Revlon etc, all have "build a tan" lotions in America.... the same big brands all have "whitening" lotions and face scrubs, and face washes in Asia. They simply don't sell them in America & elsewhere because of the market differences.

It took me about 4 weeks of using an exfoliating sponge daily with Nivea Whitening body wash then using Ponds Whitening body Lotion, and for my face using some whitening face scrub, and Pond's whitening night cream.... I was so pale, I couldn't believe it. They also even sell SPF + whitening there (yes, while you are being protected by SPF, it is keeping your skin light too)!

So my advice: Go to your local Asian supermarket/ store! China towns, Japan towns; they are everywhere! And most of the supermarkets carry these whitening products, and most of the areas even have beauty shops stocked full of Plus Whitening products. It might be a little pricier since they are shipped overseas, but well worth it if that is what you are looking for.

I am confident that these types of products will work on black skin, Indian skin, any dark skin etc.... because if the "build a tan" lotions work for people, so do the "get white" lotions. And they are no more "harmful" for you than any other basic lotion from the same brands.

Hope this helps!

February 24, 2013 Flag

I'm 33 yrs old. My dream is to make my skin white. I have a brown complexion. Does anyone have some cheap suggestions for ways to do this at home?

By Jessica P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This isn't a whitening tip, just a general comment. White skin isn't all that lovely. As you age it becomes blotchier, more likely to develop skin cancer, and generally a person tends to look like a dead body unless wearing makeup. And you may spend a small fortune on cosmetic coverups which change with sun exposure and the seasons.

If you have a nice, even complexion, be grateful!

Eat healthy, hold your head up high, and be proud of whom you are.

When you hit your 50's, your skin will whiten on it's own.

As a "whitey" with desire to have darker skin, I obviously do not understand your desire.

But it is your desire!

I find those old lady makeups helpful. (Porcelana burned my skin.) Use of any BB makeup base is fantastic. It evened out a dark spot I had. Sometimes when I am just around the house I don't put on makeup and the spot is not visable. Good luck!

FYI, I am an old lady.

November 19, 2013 Flag

How can I lighten my dark brown skin and lips naturally at home? I am from Trinidad.

By Kate

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You must have lovely skin! You may have to find a way to be happy with your natural color.

I agree with the previous poster. There is nothing you can use at home that will lighten your skin safely. Please try to see the beauty in the colour of skin that you have. I am sure it is lovely.

September 29, 2007 Flag

My complexion has become very dark since I started playing for my school's team in the sun.can anyone please tell me how to remove this dreadful tan and lighten my complexion?

Nabiha

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I also have this problem and I hate it! People think im black, when i am RUSSIAN its horrible. People say its beautiful and I guess I'd look weird without it, but i hate how everyone is always commenting on it , wow your so tan, do you use tanner. Even the lunh lady at school asked about it. I just try using a lighter foundation or powder(they dont even have my color) so I just try that. Im the one on the left, and right now im like 18 shades darker than that.

I have this problem too, we're outside for 8 hours everyday for 3 months and then for 4 hrs for 4 more months. I have a very light complexion naturally, but I'm Arab/Indian and Puerto Rican so I tan easily. I use Lemon juice on my skin all over after I take a shower and I use body scrubs with a loofa, to try and "scrub" the dead tan skin cells off. I've found that the scrub works the best because I see that those tanned skin cells have come off and my tan lines aren't as visable so I suppose it works.

July 18, 2010 Flag

What is the cream that you use to increase the fairness of your face?

By John from Niagara Falls, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

One of the best skin lighteners around comes from Avon, called Banishing Cream, if you want to buy one. I get it for my mom all the time, and use it on my hands some too. But if you do not want to buy a product, just use a cotton ball or QTip and dab on fresh lemon juice once in a while. It is great for the skin, lightens naturally, and you will smell lemon-fresh.

Another brand avail at most stores is Porcelana, but I agree with jacketbacker, that the Avon Banishing Cream is the best over the counter. Regular price is $8.50, but is currently on sale at www.avon.com for $3.99. You can also call 1-800-ForAvon to find a representative near you. The best thing about it, is that if it doesn't work, you can always return it for a refund or replacement with Avon.

September 3, 2011 Flag

How can I lighten my skin using fruit? I also would like to know some remedies for pimples on my face. How can I protect my skin so as not to have them?

By Flower from Thailand

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For pimples on your face, my daughter swears by Milk of Magnesia. She puts it on her face, waits a few minutes and washes it off. She does this while she is in the shower every day.

September 4, 2007 Flag

I am looking for home remedies to lighten skin.

Pinky Grace

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Origins has a "modern friction scrub" that really perks up your skin and removes dead cells leaving nice skin. Try a sample at an origins near you then you will see. In Mexico there is a product called "concha nacar" and it

is supposed to lighten or look in afro products section of your Walmart or other store and you can find something there.

Lemon juice? It seems I've heard something about it lightening skin.

June 7, 2011 Flag

My face got darker. What should I do to lighten it in a natural way?

By Zahira

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Baby oil with lemon juice in it. Takes awhile, but natural.

October 14, 2014 Flag

Is it really possible to get fair skin scientifically?

By Mrs. Rabbi from Chittagong Bangladesh

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 30, 2013 Flag

Which oils are best to use on skin to whiten the skin?

By Jessica

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 19, 2011 Flag

How do I whiten my skin using bleaching for skin whitening?

By Raden

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 16, 2010 Flag

After bleaching my skin I felt very, very itchy. What will I do or put on to my skin so that I won't feel very itchy after bleaching? Do you know any kind of skin bleaching powder that is good, with no itchiness of skin after use? I used active white bleaching powder, soap, and lotion.

Thanks.

By Lanie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 19, 2011 Flag

I'm a Malaysian. Malaysia is a very hot and sunny country, therefore I became very dark. Is there any cheap and simple skin whitening recipe I can use?

By Gan from Malaysia

Answers:

Lightening Skin Color

Apply tomato juice for the face daily. And wash with cold (not much chill just little bit) water. Or you can apply banana also. Crush the banana and apply it for your face. And wash it after 15min. (09/29/2010)

By Madhuri_enduri

Lightening Skin Color

All shades of skin color are beautiful. Women used to take arsenic to whiten their white skin. If it didn't kill them, it did whiten the skin as it made them anemic. But I am not recommending this. Why don't you use sunscreen to keep your skin from darkening? But once it is already dark, I don't believe any of the home remedies will work. Don't waste your time. (09/30/2010)

By louel53

Lightening Skin Color

And here in the USA women pay to get suntanned! And lay for hours in the sun, just to get darker colored!

Your best bet to avoid getting darker, is to wear hats and to use sun screen to avoid getting sun on you as much as possible!

Usually wearing 100 percent cotton items such as Ericka makes: both in pants, and in tops keeps you cooler. You can wear a short sleeved top and open, longer sleeved shirt like to elbows that is not tight fitting to keep your arms from getting to much sun. This is the procedure I use when walking in the sun! (10/06/2010)

By MzScarlett

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 27, 2010 Flag

I am just 18 years old. I have a problem with darkness of my neck, forehead, and back. I want to make my neck, back, and forehead lighter. ALL my family has white skin color unlike me. I have heard that honey and eggs can help. Please help.

Gym

Answers:

Lightening Skin Color

Buttermilk on a cotton ball and dabbed on your skin at night, washed off in a.m., will lighten your skin. This was used back in the old west to fade tans of the 'gentle women.' (08/12/2008)

By carolyn

Lightening Skin Color

You can use a mixture of extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. The lemon juice lightens and the olive oil conditions. (08/23/2008)

By angel

Lightening Skin Color

I know exactly how you feel, I have the same problem.

One product I tried really worked and it's called Ambi. It's a cream and comes in a tube and there's one for normal skin and one for oily skin. An African American friend recommended this to me and it works and it's inexpensive. Her skin glowed. In fact, she has a cousin who had to stop using it because it was making her skin too light.

I use it in the morning and before bed on a completely clean face. I used it all over because that's where I'm dark, but you could use it on brown spots. My skin actually glowed in about three weeks and it helped fade my dark areas. Actually, this may sound strange, but the glow I got seemed to mask the dark areas. Like the glow was stronger than the spots! Weird, but true.

Ambi.com, but I buy it at Target, Walmart, Walgreen's and CVS drugstores. You can even buy it online at walgreens.com and drugstore.com.

Make sure, however, that you use a sunBLOCK when you use Ambi. Ambi reveals fresh skin and fresh skin sunburns and then you'll be back at square one. Ambi doesn't make my skin peel either.

Another thing that I feel is vital is exfoliating. I'm 52 years old and have been exfoliating since I was around 16, before it became popular! People tell me I don't look my age. I don't look 16 either! But people put me at 40. You have to exfoliate before skin products can penetrate your skin so they'll work.

If you have acne or sensitive skin, be delicate when exfoliating. For acne, try a scrub that has salicylic acid in it. They are inexpensive and can be bought at the stores above.

Or, you can make a homemade scrub by using equal amounts of plain Ponds Cold Dream and table sugar. Clean your face well first and while it's still damp, use the scrub. Mix well and rub on skin and neck, and chest too, in a circular motion.

Also, there are around a million recipes like this on Thriftyfun! Good luck, and I hope you have success with this. (09/19/2008)

By metroplex

Lightening Skin Color

Try putting uncooked oatmeal in a clean long tube sock and scrubbing with that when you shower. That Ambi cream is good, and also sometimes in the Afro product section you can find "concha nacar." It's in Spanish but works, too. (09/21/2008)

By meoowmom

Lightening Skin Color

If the darkened areas of your skin are due to hyper pigmentation there is a product called "Ultraquin" which comes in either a cream or gel base. It can be purchased in any pharmacy without an Rx. You will have to request it from the pharmacist (cost is approx. $15).

It works extremely well if applied on a daily basis. The hyper pigmented areas will gradually fade in time, so be patient. Please note: your skin will be more sensitive to sunlight when using this product therefore ensure you use sunscreen. (09/23/2008)

By Bones

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 21, 2010 Flag

I used to have lighter skin color when I was younger, but it's gotten darker as I got older. My mom's skin is really light and she's always telling me to wash my face with soap and I do that, but it doesn't really help. I want to think that it does, but it doesn't.

Does sunscreen protect the color of your skin? I have a medium tan, but my mother's is really light and that's how I want it to be. I always thought it was the sun that made my face darker. My feet and arms are so much whiter than my face and it looks like I don't wash my face, but I do (like 4 times a day.)

-Ae Eh from Long Island, NY

Answers:

Can you get whiter skin?

There is this new skin shop named Johnette Alissandraise. I've tried their whitening soaps and lotion and I assure you that I got whiter. Too bad it's hard to buy their products. I only buy them online, in their very few stores. Try them. I know you will agree with me. (12/06/2009)

By sarah44

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 27, 2009 Flag

I used to have lighter skin color when I was younger but it's gotten darker as I got older. My mom's skin is really light and she's always telling me to was my face with soap and I do that but it doesn't really help. I want my think that it does, but it doesn't.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care AdviceJune 8, 2013
Greased Lightning
Greased Lightning Reviews
bandaid covering a skin tag
Remedies for Skin Tags
An apricot cut in half.
Peeling Apricots
A woman cleaning her face with skin toner.
Homemade Skin Toner
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 4:38:54 PM on 10.0.1.230 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.