Slash Your Electric Bill in Half

Category Utilities
Utility bills can be very expensive, but there are some easy cost effective ways to reduce them. This is a guide about slash your electric bill in half.

In the past 6 months, I have cut our electric bill by half. Several years ago I replaced all our light bulbs with CFL bulbs. Now, with the newer LED bulbs I have been replacing the CFL bulbs. 4 years ago, our average electric bill was around $300 per month for an almost 4000 square foot home. Now, I have it down to $100 or less.

The best priced bulbs I have found so far are the LED stick bulbs sold by GE. I get a 2 pack at Dollar General for $8. I usually buy these on the Saturdays that the store puts out the $5 off a $25 purchase coupon and sometimes combine it with a GE coupon.

To cut your bill, start by turning off lights when not used. Start replacing your bulbs that are used most often first. You can either replace your old bulbs as they burn out with the LED, or as you buy them. If you chose to replace as they burn out, you may need to rearrange your bulbs so that you are replacing those used the most first.

For lights that your forget to turn off often, put them on a timer. I have put a timer on our porch lights and the closet lights. The timers are simple. They screw into the socket, then the bulb screws into the timer.

Read your bulb packages. Some brands offer a money back guarantee if the bulb burns out before a certain time. I date my package and fold it flat, with the receipt stapled to it. On it, I write where I put that bulb.

As you are replacing your bulbs, remember that your electric billing normally runs 1 month behind when you look for results. As your bill starts to come down, you can use the money your saving on your bill to purchase more bulbs.

Once you get them all replaced, look on to something else you can do to save; such as newer water saving shower heads or toilets, or replace an old energy hog appliance.

I had my husband put our electric water heater on its own box so after dishes are done baths are taken and the heater has re-heated up I turn the box off during the night. Also unplug coffee maker when we drink the last cup. Unplug the t.v. & cable box at night. In summer time air conditioner is set at 78* and ceiling fans are turned on. You will be surprised how much those all suck up electricity.

Do you get enough light from energy efficient bulbs? I've tried them and find it hard to read and the room seems so dim. What wattage are the LEDS?

the GE brand ones that I get are 60 watt. They are just as bright as the other light bulbs.

yes, they produce the same amount of lumens

I've changed all my bulbs to LED (at considerable expense) and I love that they are not always burning out and don't get so hot. But in all honesty, I'm very disappointed that I haven't been able to tell any difference at all in the electric bill.

i replaced our bulbs several years ago and found they would burn out sooner than reg bulbs..too expensive to be replacing them every few months and sometimes they would dime and not give out good light for reading or needle point

I have replaced many of my bulbs to LED and I find that they are much brighter than traditional or CLF bulbs. Sometimes too bright! The technology is changing very fast and they are figuring out how to mimic the incandescent bulb better and better. They even have "Edison" type bulbs, which appear to have the old fashioned filament showing, but are LED.

I have not had one of my LED bulbs burn out to date. They are much more reliable than the CLF bulbs, which would continually burn out in my bathroom. Even my Christmas lights, which are a few years old, have not burned out. I'm a big fan!

Do these LED bulbs come in 3 way lights, too? Most of my lamps are 3-way lights

Wow! That's helpful! Since I have a big amount of electric bills, I will try that LED light.