Slash Your Electric Bill

In the past 6 months, I have cut our electric bill by half. Several years ago I replaced all our light bulbs with CFL bulbs. Now, with the newer LED bulbs I have been replacing the CFL bulbs. 4 years ago, our average electric bill was around $300 per month for an almost 4000 square foot home. Now, I have it down to $100 or less.

The best priced bulbs I have found so far are the LED stick bulbs sold by GE. I get a 2 pack at Dollar General for $8. I usually buy these on the Saturdays that the store puts out the $5 off a $25 purchase coupon and sometimes combine it with a GE coupon.

To cut your bill, start by turning off lights when not used. Start replacing your bulbs that are used most often first. You can either replace your old bulbs as they burn out with the LED, or as you buy them. If you chose to replace as they burn out, you may need to rearrange your bulbs so that you are replacing those used the most first.

For lights that your forget to turn off often, put them on a timer. I have put a timer on our porch lights and the closet lights. The timers are simple. They screw into the socket, then the bulb screws into the timer.

Read your bulb packages. Some brands offer a money back guarantee if the bulb burns out before a certain time. I date my package and fold it flat, with the receipt stapled to it. On it, I write where I put that bulb.

As you are replacing your bulbs, remember that your electric billing normally runs 1 month behind when you look for results. As your bill starts to come down, you can use the money your saving on your bill to purchase more bulbs.

Once you get them all replaced, look on to something else you can do to save; such as newer water saving shower heads or toilets, or replace an old energy hog appliance.

Do you get a bright enough light with the LED bulbs? I've forbid the energy saving bulbs are not nearly as bright which makes it harder to read by.

yes, they produce the same amount of lumens

I had my husband put our electric water heater on its own box so after dishes are done baths are taken and the heater has re-heated up I turn the box off during the night. Also unplug coffee maker when we drink the last cup. Unplug the t.v. & cable box at night. In summer time air conditioner is set at 78* and ceiling fans are turned on. You will be surprised how much those all suck up electricity.

Do you get enough light from energy efficient bulbs? I've tried them and find it hard to read and the room seems so dim. What wattage are the LEDS?

the GE brand ones that I get are 60 watt. They are just as bright as the other light bulbs.

I've changed all my bulbs to LED (at considerable expense) and I love that they are not always burning out and don't get so hot. But in all honesty, I'm very disappointed that I haven't been able to tell any difference at all in the electric bill.

i replaced our bulbs several years ago and found they would burn out sooner than reg bulbs..too expensive to be replacing them every few months and sometimes they would dime and not give out good light for reading or needle point

Saving Money on Your Electric Bill, Money and Light Bulb on Top of Electric Bill
Saving Money on Your Electric Bill
Budget & Finance UtilitiesJanuary 3, 2017
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Electric Blanket
Finding Replacement Cords and Controls for an Electric Blanket
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home
An upclose photo of a laptop keyboard.
Saving Money on Your Internet Bill
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 7, 2017 at 7:34:48 AM on 10.0.0.96 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.