Smoke Detectors Won't Turn Off

I recently purchased a home which was built in 2003. When I moved in I was informed by my neighbors that my smoke alarms were going off. They had to contact my realtor to have them removed. Now that I am here, I replaced all the batteries in the smoke detectors and checked them for proper operation. The problem comes when I install them and plug them into the power plug. They begin to alarm and only stop after I remove them from the power plug.

What do you believe the problem is and what do you recommend to correct it?

Jay from Lehigh Acres FL

Smoke Detectors Won't Turn Off

I don't know what the problem is but if I were you I'd contact the local fire department and ask them if they have a program that checks smoke detectors. Many fire departments offer this as a free service and maybe they could either tell you the problem or recommend an electrician to fix this. Good Luck and please don't sleep without the alarms working properly. (01/16/2006)

By Connie A.

Smoke Detectors Won't Turn Off

I also don't know what's wrong with your detectors but we bought a home the same year and have the same problem. We called out the fire dept. to make sure there was no fire since we had lost our previous home the year before to a fire. They told us to call an electrician, expensive for us.

I went out and bought some battery operated smoke and fire detectors and put them in the home until we save enough to have an electrician come out. The one who did gave us an estimate of $500 to check and replace what's wrong.

Being paranoid about fires, I would buy some to put in the house and would never sleep in a home without one. (01/17/2006)

By Roberta

Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector