Cleaning ToolsCleaning

Softening Suede

I have a black suede hat that is kind of stiff. The same goes for my leather bag. They have seen better times but are in good condition, otherwise. Is there anything I can use to soften these items up.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Anjeena from New York

Have you had good results with this Trish? I feel it would only affect the surface of the suede. It sounds like the suede has been washed and the entire skin is stiff. I would spend a while just bending and rubbing the back of the item on itself - like you do when you're hand washing something. It can't do any harm - spend 10 minutes doing it in one area and then if it works you can work over the entire surface bit by bit.

Regards

Jo

Best for suede is a fine brass brush. For best results, have someone wear the garment while you brush it. The agitation is an important part of the cure.

Sandpaper doesn't soften it. It should only be used to trim or smooth the nap if it has gotten coarse.

DearWebby

I use Brickmore suede cleaner andNeetsfoot oil for my leather jackets,coats tacketc.The neetsfoot oil is great! to we use it because we are out in all kinds of weather and our hats ,coats boots all get crappy.The brickmore suede cleaner is only like 4 bucks for 8oz,and the neetsfoot oil oil is about the same for about a quart.We had to use these products because our hats were all stiff and dry from sitting when we moved and the neetsfoot oil smells great and lasts along time,You can get it at any tack store.or online at any horse tack site, This relly works for us.It might for u too

OMG nooooooo, not neetsfoot oil on suede!!!