Spaghetti Sauce Is Too Salty

My spaghetti sauce is too salty. How can I make it taste better while storing it in the refrigerator?

Kathy from Tishomingo, OK

Answers:

Spaghetti Sauce Is Too Salty

If I understand the question, you want it to keep awhile in the fridge without using so much salt. If it's a tomato-based sauce with meat I'd cut back on salt and add a bit of red wine vinegar. Any vinegar will help it keep longer; the best kind to use depends on the sauce. If you'll post more information about the ingredients you will be more likely to get useful tips. Good luck. (06/01/2006)

By Alph

Spaghetti Sauce Is Too Salty

If you start using less salt and find it won't keep in the fridge, you could try storing it in the freezer in meal size portions, then just thaw what you need for the next few days. Also, buying reusable plastic storage containers makes freezing more cost effective than buying millions of freezer bags each year. (06/02/2006)

By Allison

Spaghetti Sauce Is Too Salty

If you want to remove some of the salt from your spaghetti sauce, put it on the stove and reheat it while adding a whole potato to it. Let this cook for awhile (I'd say at least 10-15 minutes.) Remove and discard the potato. Your sauce should be free of much of the salt. (06/02/2006)

By sewingmamma

Spaghetti Sauce Is Too Salty

I've also heard that lettuce leaves will absorb salt. It's worth a try. (06/02/2006)

By cookwie

Spaghetti Sauce Is Too Salty

Add a little sugar and taste, more if needed. (07/01/2006)

By Hamp2468