Spots on Stored Clothing

Request:

I have a problem with spots showing up on clothes. When I put them away for the summer (or winter - depending on the season), I pull them out for use the next year and I often find spots on them that weren't there when I put them away. I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of them but nothing seems to work. Even bleach won't work. It takes the color but leaves the spot.

The fabrics are usually a polyester/cotton blend and usually light colored. I also end up with this problem straight out of the dryer. In addition, we have an iron filter, water softener, and a water filter attached to the washer. I still end up with a grimy ring around the inside of the washer.

Can anyone help me with this?

Rose

Answers:

Spots on Stored Clothing

Mildew is happiest in damp, dark places where air can't circulate, so your closet can be a prime breeding ground for the fungus, which likes leather and most fabrics. When you notice mildew on clothes or accessories, get rid of it as quickly as possible; in addition to being an allergen, it smells terrible and is unsightly.

1. Pour undiluted white distilled vinegar into a spray bottle. Vinegar has a high success rate for getting rid of mildew, and it also eliminates the bad odor.

2. Spray the vinegar onto the affected area of the garment or accessory.

3. Let the vinegar work its magic for several hours, ideally outside in the sun.

4. If you're dealing with a garment, wash it only after the sight and smell of the fungus is gone. Use warm, sudsy water, and hang the garment to dry in a clean, dry place.

Overall Tips:

Liquid chlorine bleach also kills mildew. Check the tags on your garment to find out if it's safe to bleach them. Other acidic substances like lemon juice or grapefruit juice can also combat mildew damage.

There is a thread here on how to prevent it
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf929561.tip.html

Post by oohbabelicious (Guest Post)

Stains on Stored Clothing
Kitchen With Granite Countertops
Removing Hard Water Spots on Granite Countertops
Kid's Clothing
Preventing Spots on Kids Clothing
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
Storing Oranges, Canning Oranges, A bunch of bright round oranges.
Storing Oranges
🎄