Repairing Faded Spots on Clothing and Fabric

Fade to White! Want to whiten your dingy whites? Or even better, how about revitalizing a set of expensive cotton sheets that have faded in color? Here are some expert tips on how to spruce up and revitalize fabric - it's easy, and it's how the pros do it!

I had a beautiful baby blue set of Egyptian cotton sheets 1000 thread count that had faded and become very stained. I decided I wanted to try and make them white, and I succeeded at it! They look bright and white and good as new.

Before we get started, a few caveats: It is easier to go white if the original color was light. If your sheet set is a darker color, say a navy blue or a burgundy or forest green, you may want to try and redye the sheets (and that's another tip!)

Here is how to get the same results I did:

Instructions

Start by removing the original color. This step also works on dingy whites. Use a color remover. I used the Jacquard brand dye remover and it worked wonderfully well. For best results, do it in a large pot (not aluminum!) on your stove so you can keep the temperature hot. Boil the water first, and add 1 heaping tsp. of the remover. stir well. Wet one pillowcase and add to pot. Keep on low heat, stir and after 15 min, remove from heat and wash in detergent. Then repeat to do the next pillowcase. If your pot is big enough, do them together. It is important to wet first to get even results.

You can also do it in a bathtub, but it might take longer and require more dye remover. I did the larger sheets in the tub, with very hot water. I caution against dying or removing color in a front loading washing machine - or any machine. I once had dye residue damage on several loads of laundry : ( Your bathtub or sink is easier to clean and safer. Note that if the thread was 100% polyester, it will probably stay its original color.

A bottle of the jacquard dye remover cost under $4 and did an entire sheet set.

You will notice that the fabric might still be a bit grey or yellowish, although I was very impressed at how well it turned out. For all of you perfectionists out there, try these tips, in this order:

Be sure to enjoy your new "brightey whiteys".

By Wangchok from Canada

20 Questions

I have a dark grey jumper which has been out in the sun and the sun has bleached it in places. Is there anything I can do to restore it please?

Answers

Best Answer

You should be able to re-dye it. Make sure you get the right type of dye for the fabric the jumper is made of...a little research on the RIT Dye site will help you through choosing the correct dye. Good luck and post back your results if you want to.

Best Answer

Sometimes this can be tricky so be sure to check and make a note of all fabrics (and %) before you think about dyeing your jumper as some fabrics will not dye properly.
Usually there is a dye that will work for almost any fabric but I would suggest you contact Rit Dye company directly and let them tell you which dye to try.
If there are really dark parts to your jumper they may say to take the color out first or maybe other instructions.

Usually there are several ways to dye a garment so be sure you're able to match their recommendations. Maybe by washing machine or pans large enough to cover with hot water, etc. but you will be able to read the full instructions.

www.ritdye.com/.../

www.ritdye.com/.../

Answer this Question

I was cleaning a stubborn stain off a pair of colored jeans, but the dye came off as well. I am just wondering if there is a way to correct this problem.

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

You can mix up a dye in a matching color and apply with a paintbrush.

Answer this Question

My hat is sun damaged and discolored. Is there any way I can salvage the hat and make it wearable again?

I'm sure I'm not the only woman who has this problem. You buy a really nice blouse or shirt and a few months down the line you can clearly see the breast marks on the shirt due to being a bit busty. Is there anyone out there that has found a way for this not to happen? Or if it does happen, how do you fix it?

Am getting white shades in my pure black cotton jeans. It looks awkward when I wear them. I washed it so many times, but I couldn't get any positive results.

By Gowri

Answers

Best Answer

From your description, it appears that your jeans are losing their black color in some areas. If so, further washing will only make the problem worse as the spots are not stains but lost dye areas. You can try a home dye product to redye your jeans, however, even if the pants take the dye, the white areas may still be lighter than the rest of the material.

Answer this Question

Actually I have one maroon colour Raymond shirt, but after washing it with detergent powder, white patches appeared on my shirt. How can I remove them?

Answers

Try soaking it (swishing it around by hand) in cold water (in a bucket or tub) to see if it is just powder residue and comes out. Years ago I stopped using powders because this happened all the time.

If that doesn't work, examine the spots closely to see if they go all the way through which means you may have had bleach leakage (if you have a dispenser and used bleach on a prior load). In that case, you may want to try to dye your shirt back to the original color (Rit or other products are nice). Or you could get all fancy and embellish the damage with beads or embroidery to make a fashion statement.

If that doesn't work or doesn't appeal to you, you may want to give the shirt it's 2nd life (meaning wear it when painting or some other messy task.)

My husband left a jacket on a sunny porch over the summer, now it has a big faded patch on the back. Is there any way to get rid of this without dyeing the jacket?

Answers

The sun, especially shining for such a long time on the jacket, has essentially bleached the material. Some fabrics can lose color from even a day of sun exposure. You can try dying the jacket, however, there may be a problem in how the dye affects the bleached area.

Answer this Question

I ruined my favorite shirt and tried to buy another one, but they don't sell it anymore. I can't even order it. It is dark purple and made out of rayon. It has a huge light pink spot on it in a couple of places. It looks like the color faded out of it for on these spots. How can i fix this? Can I dye rayon? I read something about a crayon and iron. Can I iron rayon? Please give me ideas, I will try anything.

Melissa

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Sounds like a bleach stain. Purple will bleach out to pink sometimes. Bleach or a cleaning product that contains bleach does this. You have nothing to lose by trying to color with crayon and ironing in, but I doubt it will match. If you do it, be sure to wash separately so crayon excess doesn't bleed onto other clothing.

By Toni B. (Guest Post)

Try a magic marker close to the color of your top. Be sure to keep the marker in the middle of the stain, as it will darken the outer part that has not lost its color. Good luck.

By (Guest Post)

It does sound like a bleach stain. I don't know much about rayon, but you could try RIT dye in the laundry section of your grocery store (two packages, since it is a dark color). You may want to try the RIT color remover first, to start off with a more evenly-toned color overall. If you try the crayon and it doesn't work, then you'd have the problem of removing the crayon completely before trying to dye it.

By kkochavi (Guest Post)

Get a quality pigment dye from an art supply store and follow directions. I've read rayon takes color beautifully. Good luck!

Why do I have faded spots on laundry? I am not using bleach.

Tammy from Crawfordville, FL

Answers

Are you using laundry detergent WITH bleach? I use to have the same problem until I stopped using detergent with bleach.

Are you or anyone in your family using an acne treatment containing benzoil peroxide? It will cause faded spots on clothes, sheets, or anything it touches.

By JoAnn (Guest Post)

Tammy, I'm sort of a neighbor. I live at Nutall Rise, & the water is terrible here on the Aucilla River. When the river is high I have opposite problems. My clothes had dark spots on them. I discovered putting fabric softener in the wash was the cause of my spotting. Don't know your water source (well or city), but that may be a start. I work at JR's Aucilla River Store on weekends. If you go there, ask for me. Would love to meet you. Good luck neighbor!

I live in an urban area and often the water company has to put in a lot of chlorine to make it safe. Some pwople have complained about white spots in their laundry. Of course, this doesn't solve the problem. Just wanted you to know what it could be. Pam
p.s. I filter all my drinking water!

Answer this Question

I hand washed my new baby blue jeans and have noticed that they have white faded marks on them, can they be removed? Is this the colour coming out of them?

Help :( Thanks in advance.

How do I repair faded spots on silk?

Please help. Thank you!

How can I fix a turquoise and violet coloured shirt that faded when washed? I bought it and then I hand washed it. After it dried it faded from a few places and it looks really awkward. So what should I do now? There is also embroidery on the shirt.

By sukhi from Vancouver

I have a 65% rayon and 35% cotton blend dress that had a stain so I soaked it in cold water with a diluted mild detergent. The stain came out thankfully, but now there are a few faded spots. Is there a chemical or solution I can soak it in to even it out?

By Christine from Houston, TX

Answer this Question

I have a dark grey wool sweater that was left hanging on the handle of an exterior door and now is sun bleached. How can I get it back to grey?

Load More
Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingOctober 20, 2014
🍂
🎄
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-Faded-Spots-on-Clothing.html