Repairing Faded Spots on Silk

How do I repair faded spots on silk?

Please help. Thank you!

You cannot repair this. You can try dyeing the entire item, but the faded spots may come up lighter as well.

Typically silk cannot be redyed at least when I have tried it (and back in my hippie dippie experimenting with sewing and fabric dyes days, I tried! (Boiled blue berries make a neat-o dye for white cotton tee shirts if you want a blue-grey tie dye--but I digress!)

That said, if you are trying to get the "shine" which may bring the luster back to the shirt and mask the fading, you can try this trick that was taught to me years and years ago (before the internet) by a dear friend who has since passed. I was devastated when I accidentally washed a silk blouse. She said try the vinegar method (the link below has the instructions).

It was never like it was, but I was able to wear it under blazers back when I wore suits to work (yep, the hippie grew up and wore suits--how ironic right!):

www.howtocleanstuff.net/.../

Hoping this will help you.

That is a great site that Pghgirl listed and I have tried similar and it does help the looks of silk but I would recommend you taking it to a very good dry cleaners (maybe the one that cleaned it in the past?) and ask them to take care of it for you. This may save it but the faded color is gone and will never return.