Starting a Christmas Cactus from Cuttings

Many plants are easy to start from cuttings and the Christmas cactus is one of these. This is a guide about starting a Christmas cactus from cuttings.

December 14, 2009 Flag

It is a little too late for this holiday season but you can get started for next year. I was in a store the other day and glanced at the price of their Christmas Cactus. To pay $134.00 for a gift that will cost me max $2.00 is crazy. If you start now, you can save.

Take a piece of your own Christmas cactus and put it in a small pot (2 inch) with good potting soil. As the year goes on fertilize with liquid fertilizer once a month. Once it starts growing, repot to 3 inch and so on, but remember they do better root bound. By the holidays next year, you should have a good size plant(s) to give as gifts.

By Katarinabell from Sunny Florida

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

March 30, 2010 Flag

How do I root cuttings from a Christmas Cactus? I tried just sticking them in the soil, but they just rot.

By Rose from Malvern, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have taken cuttings and placed them in a jar of water in my kitchen window and they develop roots slowly at first, but then they go crazy! Then I take the rooted shoots and plant them in potting soil. I have a LOT of Christmas Cactus plants now and more in the rooting stages. Good luck!

It sounds like you are lovin' it to death. You are watering too much. Christmas cactus likes the soil to completely dry out then water from the bottom not the top. When you water make sure the water is warm and not cold. Christmas cactus is very easy to grow.

Start the cuttings in water until you see tiny roots forming.( change water once a week )

Then transfer to a pot about 5-6 inches.

Fill with potting soil that is made for Cactus/Suculents. Or if you can't get that, use some regular potting soil and add a little sand ( about 2/3 cup ) , mix and water well. Let dry for a week or two then water well again.

After that water about once every two-three weeks once the plants start growing new leaves, add a liquid fertilizer to the water.

I make a Gal of water with 14 drops of Schultz plant food added. Shake it up and water with this mixture every time you water, until the blooms start to show. Usually in Nov. here.

Stop using the the fertilizer until after the blooms drop. Water with plain water during that time. Then after all the blooms are gone start watering with the fertilizer water again.

Sometimes I water once a month by soaking the plants in a tub of water. Just set the pot plant in a tub bigger that the pot, submerge and leave it there for at least an hour or two, then drain and don't water again until the dirt is dry.

You can tell if the plant is dry by the weight of it. Lift it up and if it is heavy ,don't water. If it is light, it will float to it's side.That is when the plant is to dry and you should soak it again. Good Luck. GG Vi

Thank you everyone. Got lots of good advice.

Home and Garden Gardening CuttingsApril 18, 2013
Pink Christmas Cactus
Getting a Christmas Cactus to Bloom
Beautiful pink oleander flowers.
Starting Oleander from Cuttings
Christmas Cactus in bloom
Caring for a Christmas Cactus
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 8:30:47 PM on 10.0.2.231 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.