Starting a Rhododendron from a Cutting

Category Shrubs
These beautiful flowering shrubs are a great addition to your landscape. This guide is about starting a rhododendron from a cutting.

I love the rhododendrons in this area. Can I start a plant from a cutting? If so how? thank you

By Carole from Del Norte Co., CA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Step 1 Prepare a pot or planting container by filling it with a 50/50 mixture of perlite and peat moss. Then poke a hole in the peat moss mixture for the cutting using a pencil.

Step 2 Remove the leaves from the bottom two-thirds of the cutting, leaving at least four leaves on the cutting.

Step 3 Strip away the thin outer layer or bark of the cutting on one side starting at about 1/2-inch above the bottom and continuing all the way down so that the inner layers are expose on one side. This will help the roots form.

Step 4 Dip the end of the cutting into root growth hormone, making sure to cover the area that you stripped away.

Step 5 Poke the cutting into the pot, with the cut end down, so that it stands straight up.

Step 6 Water the cutting thoroughly.

You can also use sand to root flowers in.

Keep damp. Good luck.

Thank you very much. I am going to try that. wish me luck, carole

Q: I was wondering if there was a way to start an azalea and a rhododendron? I have heard of people clipping a branch and putting it in water (for other plants) and wasn't sure if that were possible with them as well?

Thank you VERY much!
Katie from PA

A: Katie,

You can start Azaleas and Rhododendrons with cuttings. Start with terminal 2 to 3 inch cuttings. Remove any leaves and flower buds. With a sharp knife, make a 1-inch slit on each side of the cutting near the base-just deep enough to cut through the bark. This will provide a space for the new roots to emerge. Dip the ends of cuttings in a rooting hormone and insert them 1-inch deep into a small container filled with moist, potting medium made from 50% peat and 50% perlite/vermiculite. Cover each container with a clear, plastic bag (to create a greenhouse effect) and set them in a bright location out of direct sunlight. Fertilizing or further watering shouldn't be necessary until they are transplanted. Root cuttings can be taken anytime, but they are usually most successful when taken in the fall and supplemented with artificial daylight. Take cuttings in the morning when their moisture content is highest. Be patient and expect them to take anywhere from 2 to 6 months to establish a good enough root system for repotting. Plan on starting several in the event that some don't take. Once repotted, fertilizer them once a month.

Ellen

http://www.dona  leacuttings.html

It's a lengthy process but it can be done!

You can take a med. limb from bush. Get root hormone from your garden center, put on limb put in ground. in fall or spring. I find if you will cover with glass jar until it gets warm it will do better. Or sit an old milk jug over it to keep it warm. When it starts to get hot in the spring take it off. You can do lots of bushes like that.

Katie, I've had very good luck with just sticking rhododendron cuttings in the ground. They grow and make a new plant! Yikes. I found it out by accident. Then, someone told me that you can do this with just about any shrub... I've tried azaleas, but they die on me... In all fairness, I should say they came from Virginia so might not be hardy here in PA... I dont even water the cuttings.. just stick them in the ground. I am anxious to try this with forsythia.. (wink) People will tell you that you need rooting hormone, but in the olden days people didnt have that.

You cut a limb of forsythia when it is blooming and stick it in the ground deep enought to cover 2 or 3 nodes and it grows. I haven't tried it except when in bloom. Good luck.

Which fertilizer should I use on rhododendron and azalea cuttings, once a month?

By Nancytag