Starting a Rhododendron from a Cutting

These beautiful flowering shrubs are a great addition to your landscape. This guide is about starting a rhododendron from a cutting.

Rhododendron with pink flowers.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I love the rhododendrons in this area. Can I start a plant from a cutting? If so how? thank you

By Carole from Del Norte Co., CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you very much. I am going to try that. wish me luck, carole

Read More Answers...

Q: I was wondering if there was a way to start an azalea and a rhododendron? I have heard of people clipping a branch and putting it in water (for other plants) and wasn't sure if that were possible with them as well?

Thank you VERY much!
Katie from PA

A: Katie,

You can start Azaleas and Rhododendrons with cuttings. Start with terminal 2 to 3 inch cuttings. Remove any leaves and flower buds. With a sharp knife, make a 1-inch slit on each side of the cutting near the base-just deep enough to cut through the bark. This will provide a space for the new roots to emerge. Dip the ends of cuttings in a rooting hormone and insert them 1-inch deep into a small container filled with moist, potting medium made from 50% peat and 50% perlite/vermiculite. Cover each container with a clear, plastic bag (to create a greenhouse effect) and set them in a bright location out of direct sunlight. Fertilizing or further watering shouldn't be necessary until they are transplanted. Root cuttings can be taken anytime, but they are usually most successful when taken in the fall and supplemented with artificial daylight. Take cuttings in the morning when their moisture content is highest. Be patient and expect them to take anywhere from 2 to 6 months to establish a good enough root system for repotting. Plan on starting several in the event that some don't take. Once repotted, fertilizer them once a month.

Ellen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Katie, I've had very good luck with just sticking rhododendron cuttings in the ground. They grow and make a new plant! Yikes. I found it out by accident. Then, someone told me that you can do this with just about any shrub... I've tried azaleas, but they die on me... In all fairness, I should say they came from Virginia so might not be hardy here in PA... I dont even water the cuttings.. just stick them in the ground. I am anxious to try this with forsythia.. (wink) People will tell you that you need rooting hormone, but in the olden days people didnt have that.

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Gardening ShrubsAugust 5, 2013
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Pruning a Rhododendron
Pruning a Rhododendron
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 8, 2016 at 1:37:52 PM on 10.0.2.254 in 973 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.