Starting a Rose Bush from a Cutting

I have cut some healthy stems off of a rose bush. I have already planted them where I want them to take root and grow.

Every website says to put a jar on top of each stem for a greenhouse effect. How long do I need to leave the jars on them? I don't want to suffocate them. There are many more healthy stems that need to be planted, but I want to try and do it right. Please help!

By green thumb from Goldsboro, NC

Answers:

Starting a Rose Bush from a Cutting

I have good luck rooting almost anything, just cut off the new growth of a bush, stick it in soil in a pot in the shade. Keep damp, it will be ready to transplant the next spring. I have rooted a lot of roses like this, good luck.
(05/16/2009)

By kffrmw88

Starting a Rose Bush from a Cutting

The purpose of the jars over a cutting is it provides a green house effect. I've used this method before with rose cuttings and it actually works. From what I remember I put the cuttings in the ground in late summer or early fall. I watered the spot where the cutting was located, placed the jar over it and left it till Spring. It will not suffocate the cutting. It takes a little longer to get a bush out of this. But if you have a favorite rose or a friend shares a cutting this will work. Good luck. (05/24/2009)

By PRay62

Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Rose Bush
Rose Bush Never Blooms
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
🎉
🎄