Store Pills in Baby Food Containers

My husband, 2 year-old, and I live in Massachusetts, and the rest of my family is in Maine, so we do a fair amount of traveling back and forth. Rather than carrying whole pill bottles, I use plastic Gerber baby food containers with lids and put enough pills to last the time that we are there (and usually a few days extra in case we are stuck due to snow in the winter). I mark the containers with a marker to avoid confusion.

I had a bunch of these left from "baby days" so it's a good way to use them. They are also great for jewelry, elastic bands, and tacks.

By Rita from MA

I know it's tempting to do this but it's very dangerous. Your 2 year old knows his/her food comes in those containers. My nephew had a career day at his middle school and a pharmacist came in to speak and gave them all pill bottles filled with candy. Not a good thing for younger siblings to see and not a good idea for kids at an age where drug abuse can begin. Also, from a legal perspective, you are required to have prescriptions in their labeled containers. Otherwise, a police officers can detain you until they know for sure you aren't using unprescribed medications. I don't mean to cause hard feelings, just my two cents.

I love your idea of using them to store items other than medications. I agree with Bethsmom about both child safety issues and legal issues. I even carry my written prescription for my emergency inhaler with me wherever I go because even that seemingly harmless item could possibly cause a problem. For example, at airport security you can be held up and/or your medications confiscated or even some well meaning citizen can cause you a problem. One time I was at the market and the cashier started giving me the third degree about why I was using the emergency inhaler at that moment and not out of concern about if I was feeling okay but rather by asking if it was prescribed by a physician. :-o

Never take meds out of their original bottles for any reason. Especially for travel. It is illegal and could be potentially dangerous if you don't have the prescription label on the bottle and it's needed in an emergency.

Aside from the medications suggestion, I love the idea of using these wonderful little containers for other uses, hairclips, bobbypins, jewelry, coins, etc. They are lightweight, and see-thru, and the lid is very secure. I just don't have many of them, but Thanks!

If you get stopped while traveling and have your prescription medicines out of their containers you could be arrested. It is illegal to keep prescription meds in anything other than their original containers, frustrating I know, because I like to put mine in the meds boxes marked w/the day of the week.

I take a picture of each of my prescription bottles on my smart phone. I can then carry my meds in the weekly container on a trip

Ask your pharmacist to package some of them in smaller containers with the label on them.

Plastic Baby Food Containers
Uses for Plastic Baby Food Containers
Better Living Green Living ReusingJune 20, 2011
Freezing Baby Food. Jar of Baby Food with Spoon
Freezing Baby Food
Uses for Plastic Dog Food Containers
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
Medication for a sick Golden Retriever puppy.
Giving Pills to Dogs
🎉
🎄