Storing Grated Cheese

When you buy cheese in bulk whether already grated or grated by you, to store it properly will maintain the freshness. This guide is about storing grated cheese.

April 27, 2016 Flag

I'm not fond of store bought grated cheese. We prefer the extra sharp block cheese and I grate my own. We love cheese and have it about every day. When I realized that we were washing the grater just about every day, I decided I would grate enough to last the whole week and put it in an air tight container.

It stays fresh and it's so convenient to use. I have been doing this for several years.

I don't have any problem with cheese molding. We don't keep it that long. Good idea though. Thanks for sharing.

Actually, the top picture shows up as us eating a lot of cheese. I actually was making potato soup that day to take to a friend who had come home from the hospital. One small container, as shown in the 2nd picture, will last us a week or two depending on how many salads we eat and how often I fix potatoes with onions and cheese, a recipe I have posted on Thriftyfun.

Cheese never lasts long enough at our house to go mouldy either:) I grate my own parmesan - the taste is amazing!

i use my food processor and do a huge amount at once and then freeze

March 4, 2010 Flag

My granddaughter bought a big round of cheddar cheese. It was too much to use at once. so I grated it today to put in the freezer. I sprayed a small amount of cooking spray on the grater for easier clean up.

June 11, 2005 Flag

To prevent grated cheese form sticking together, just add a little flour to it. It does not affect the flavor or appearance. Then put it in the freezer in a Ziploc bag. It's easy to get what you need, without wasting cheese that is clumped together.

June 14, 2005 Flag

I only work part time so when I am working like to buy food ahead. I would like to know how long you store cheese - such as Velveeta and the bagged shredded cheese. I use a lot of both and would like to buy ahead to have it available when I'm not working. I have a refrigerator to be used just for that. What temperature should they be stored at and how long will they keep? I get SSA and when between jobs I have to buy for a month ahead. I also use this fridge for storing potatoes and onions, any information on how long those can be stored for would be helpful as well.

Thank you very much,
Lee Ann Cline

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I buy cheese in 5 pound packages,shredded and sliced. I measure out one pound packages and freeze it. I like the processed american cheese that costco sells. It thaws well and I cannot tell that it has been frozen. The grated cheese is usually cheaper so I have not had to grate it myself for a few years. 5 pounds usually lasts my family of 6 for a month. I am not sure how long it would last beyond that.

i buy italian grated cheese .i freeze it for up to 4 months when i run out then stockup again for another 4 months the same for american & mozzerella.it all freezes well.the mozzerella i just take out a handful for whatever i need it for. try it it will be just fine oh i am on ss also

Be sure to freeze your cheese, whether you buy it shredded or shred it yourself. Otherwise it will mold. Don't ask how I know this.

Your potatoes and onions should be stored in a dark, cool, dry place, but not the fridge. The cold will make some of the starch in the potatoes turn to sugar. Slightly sweet mashed potatoes are kind of nasty. (Don't ask why I know about this one either).

you can put your cheese in baggies and freeze it. it is not a good idea to put potatoes in the fridge. put them in a dark place with no other veg. onions can be kept this way for a short time. cut onions and freeze in small containers for use in soups, sauces, etc.

Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyOctober 14, 2012
A piece of carrot cake on plate with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
Stack of Cheeses
Saving Money on Cheese
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
Leftover Shredded Cheese
Using Leftover Cheese
🎄