Storing Grated Cheese

When you buy cheese in bulk whether already grated or grated by you, to store it properly will maintain the freshness. This guide is about storing grated cheese.

grated cheese
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My granddaughter bought a big round of cheddar cheese. It was too much to use at once. so I grated it today to put in the freezer. I sprayed a small amount of cooking spray on the grater for easier clean up. I then put 1/3 cup of the grated cheese in plastic size snack bags for portion control.

When the kids want some cheese for their chili or potato soup, it also thaws out faster. If we need cheese for something like Mac and cheese, we just get out the right number of bags. Freezing the cheese also keeps it from going moldy before we can use it.

By deebomb from Lexington SC

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I only work part time so when I am working like to buy food ahead. I would like to know how long you store cheese - such as Velveeta and the bagged shredded cheese. I use a lot of both and would like to buy ahead to have it available when I'm not working. I have a refrigerator to be used just for that. What temperature should they be stored at and how long will they keep? I get SSA and when between jobs I have to buy for a month ahead. I also use this fridge for storing potatoes and onions, any information on how long those can be stored for would be helpful as well.

Thank you very much,
Lee Ann Cline

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have not tried this yet. But I have read that adding a little flour or cornstarch to grated cheese before freezing keeps it seperated and easier to use.

Be sure to freeze in amounts useful to your needs.

Read More Answers...

To prevent grated cheese form sticking together, just add a little flour to it. It does not affect the flavor or appearance. Then put it in the freezer in a Ziploc bag. It's easy to get what you need, without wasting cheese that is clumped together. I make lots of cheese toast, so I want to be able to sprinkle it on evenly.

By Elayne

Editor's Note: Restaurants will also add a little cornstarch to cheese as they grate it to keep it from sticking together.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyOctober 14, 2012
A piece of carrot cake on plate with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
Stack of Cheeses
Saving Money on Cheese
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
Leftover Shredded Cheese
Using Leftover Cheese
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 3, 2016 at 9:49:04 PM on 10.0.2.113 in 526 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.