Using Leftover Cheese

Category Dairy
When cooking you can end up with leftover grated or pieces of different kinds of cheese. This guide is about ways to use leftover cheese.

I love different cheeses, but I don't always get to finish them, so if I have some leftover that has gone moldy I cut off the mold and make them into a cheese sauce. Depending if you get different cheeses each time you end up with some quite nice tasting cheese sauces and no two are ever the same.

By Jackie from Adelaide, Australia

Is there a way to "can" nacho cheese? I bought a gallon can of it and we can't eat it all at one time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Francene from Bremerton, WA

Answers

You could freeze it.

I tried that but it was gritty when thawed. That's why I was wondering if it could be heated then put in jars and sealed as if canning soups, sauces, etc?

Thanks for your help

Maybe it depends on the brand. We freeze it all the time. We buy Ortega at Costco and we sell it out of a food concession and it's always smooth as can be.

If you have a Vacuum Sealer Machine, you could freeze it up in bags and then seeal with the machine. It keeps the air out and lasts for a long time. We use ours for many things.

If you have a Vacuum Sealer Machine you could use that to freeze it up in bags. It seals it airtight and lasts for a long time. We have had ours for a couple years and use it for everything. Good luck to you.

Pour it over cooked vegetables. Like broccoli.
We haven't had the storage problem here - it goes too fast.