Substitutions for Gouda Cheese in a Recipe?

Category Substitutions
Gouda cheese is not a type of cheese many of us regularly have in the fridge. This is a page about substitute for gouda cheese in a recipe.

I have a recipe to use some tortellini I bought recently. The recipe calls for Gouda or smoked Gouda. I do not keep either on hand. Is there a substitute I could use, like cheddar, or Colby? Or do I need to either buy Gouda or toss the recipe? Thanks for your thoughts.

By HJ

Answers

Best Answer

Gouda is a nice, mild cheese. You should be able to substitute any mild cheese you like. If you ever get the opportunity, though, to sample Gouda and smoked Gouda (one of my favorites). Do so, they're worth a try!

But your recipe should work with cheddar or colby, without a doubt.

Best Answer

Gouda is a semi-soft cheese so you would want to substitute it with something like Edam, Jack or Muenster. Cheddar and Colby most likely would not work well because of their consistency; they are semi-firm cheeses. If a recipe calls for a certain type of cheese there is a reason for it ;-)

Do yourself a favor and buy some Smoked Gouda. It's heavenly even just to snack on :-)

Best Answer

All of the cheeses listed here can be substituted for each other:
American, Cheddar, Cheshire, Colby, Edam, Fontina, Gouda, Havarti, Longhorn, Monterey Jack, Muenster and Port-Salut

Pressed cheeses - Cheshire, Cheddar, Edam, Gouda, Jarlsberg, Mozzarella and Swiss can also be substituted for each other.

The flavor will be somewhat different; but Gouda is a fairly mild cheese; make it with one you like and you should be fine. Then if you don't enjoy the recipe, toss it! I would readily try another cheese!

But if you ever have the opportunity, try the Gouda. I really love smoked Gouda!

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsSeptember 21, 2016
🌻
😷
📓
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Substitutions-for-Gouda-Cheese-in-a-Recipe.html