Shelf Life of Powdered Parmesan Cheese

Category Storage
Powdered Parmesan cheese is a convenient way to always have some available. There should be a "best used by date" on the packaging. This cheese, according to Kraft Foods, can be safely kept in the cupboard or the fridge. Freezing is safe but not recommended as it can decrease the quality of the cheese.

I've been reading the posts on storing and keeping powdered parmesan and I feel it's too late for mine. My brother bought me a huge bag of parmesan from the Bulk Barn. I live alone and would never use this all in my life, but I guess he thought he was doing a good thing! (giggle) I am used to keeping the cheddar powder, like what comes in Kraft dinner, in my pantry, never having any problems, so I did the same with this. I put it in a plastic bag, in a tightly covered tin.

I found this tin the other day and wondered if it was still good, I've had it for some time now. Which brought me here, where I read it should be stored in the fridge, oh no! I'd hate to toss this, there are about 5 cups of the stuff! It still smells OK. Well, it stinks OK, but it seems to be a more yellow color than the white that comes in those shaker containers from the grocery store. Can someone tell me if it'd be OK to use it still, to keep it still, putting it in the fridge or should I toss?

Answers

Best Answer

Definitely toss it. Safely first.

We keep ours in a jar in the fridge. It keeps for a long time...up to a year without losing any flavor or color.

Freezing is an option, but frozen cheese won't be as esthetically pleasing when defrosted. It clumps and glumps up. It works in cooked dishes for flavor, but won't sprinkle nicely like the fresh or refrigerated.

I would toss this one. In the future, put it in the freezer

Sounds like it's better to toss it. You can keep them in the back of the fridge for months, or in a sealed freezer bag for a year in the freezer.

I personally would toss out just encase.

Food and Recipes StorageJanuary 22, 2020
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-23 23:06:10 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️