ClothingOrganizing

Storing Leather Coats and Jackets

I have leather coats and leather jackets. How can I prevent them from getting damp and mold on them?

You can put old sheets over each one so the moisture, if there is any, will be absorbed.

I have a dust cover with zipper for my leather jacket, not the plastic cover. I make sure to take my jacket out once a month just so the jacket gets some air.

I cover mine but take them out every so often and give them a good wipe.

Place garments on wooden or padded hangers to help them keep their shape. Use a cotton cover for each item. These can be made from cotton sheets (I double my materiel) and can be wrapped around the item or cut a hole in the middle and tape the cloth to the hanger above the collar. Be sure to take the items out at least once a month to be inspected for damage and aired out. Cloth cover can be pulled away from item to give it more air.

There is a product called DampRid that is very effective at preventing mold and mildew stain but it can get expensive over time. It is sold in different size containers and refills as well as in a hanger for your closet. As I said this will get expensive to keep up.

According to the amount of humidity in your home you may wish to invest in a dehumidifier (sold at Wall-Mart, Sears, etc.), usually $100 and up. These are really great and you will most likely be very surprised at how much moisture they collect. One of these will last for many years.

The best suggestions for this problem can be found on Thriftyfun:

http://www.thri  6086483.tip.html

Here is a link to a very good site dealing with this problem:

https://www.lea  e-leather-coats/