Substitute For Buttermilk

Can anyone tell me what I can substitute for buttermilk? I can't find it in my country.

Also, as it does not seem to exist in my country, can I use boric acid instead of borax to make my own laundry detergent? Many thanks.

Cettina from Malta, Europe

Answers:

Good Substitute For Buttermilk or Borax

Boric acid is a slightly acidic form of borax. For cleaning purposes you can probably substitute. Make a small batch and see how that works.

Substitutes for buttermilk: into 1 cup of milk mix in one of the following and let stand for 5 minutes before using: 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar or 1 3/4 tablespoons cream of tarter. These are OK. An equal amount of plain yogurt or sour cream works much better.
(09/03/2007)

By perfume and powder

Substitute For Buttermilk

I have recipes for cakes calling for buttermilk, but do not always have it so I pour 1 cup evaporated milk (or what ever amount you need) and add 1 tbs vinegar and let it set a bit and use it in place of sour cream. That is for cake batter I do not know about it working for other stuff. (09/04/2007)

By Mary Ann

Substitute For Buttermilk

Add a tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of milk and let it stand 5 minutes to thicken. I have used this for many years and it has always worked for me. (09/04/2007)

By Martina

Substitute For Buttermilk

Plain yogurt is great, adds that tang that you miss with the buttermilk. I also use the acid in milk trick, but find that vinegar makes for a funky taste, I've always used lemon juice, makes the same "chunky" milk, but adds a nice zip, as the lemon brings out the flavor of stuff without changing the flavor to lemon. (09/04/2007)

By michawnpita

Substitute For Buttermilk

Be sure to put the vinegar, or whatever you decide to use, into the measuring cup first, and then add the milk up to the amount called for, otherwise, you might have too much liquid. (09/04/2007)

By Sallie

Substitute For Buttermilk

A good substitute is 1 c. of yogurt for 1 c. of buttermilk. Or 1 c. sour cream. Or 1 TBS lemon juice or vinegar in 1 c. milk. Hope this helps. (11/21/2007)

By Vicki

Substitute For Buttermilk

As far as yogurt/sour cream, I've found that substituting the amount called for in the recipe with 1/2 milk and 1/2 yogurt works best. If you need 1 cup buttermilk, then use 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 cup plain yogurt. (12/28/2008)

By Flbaldeagle

buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Substitute for Buttermilk in Recipes
Buttermilk in a metal cup.
Homemade Buttermilk Recipes
Buttermilk Chicken
Buttermilk Chicken Recipes
spoon with drizzling agave syrup
Using Agave Nectar
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Buttermilk Cake Recipes
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 18, 2016 at 11:44:40 AM on 10.0.1.14 in 935 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.