Substitute for Washing Soda

I want to make the fels naptha laundry soap recipe. I don't want to use the washing power and I don't have the money to purchase right now anyway. Does anyone know of something other than washing soda that I can use in a laundry soap recipe?

Delanie122000 from Oak Park IL

Substitute for Washing Soda 10/22/2005
I have used baking soda instead, because sometimes washing soda is hard to find in my area. It seems to work really well.
By wendiesioux
Substitute for Washing Soda 10/23/2005
Washing soda is pretty cheap but hard to find. Arm and Hammer has a toll-free hotline that is just dedicated to this issue. You enter your zip, and they give you names of stores in your area where its available. I make the powdered detergent using washing soda, borax, and grated soap. I use any kind of soap that is free or cheap. The little bars from hotels or any other dollar store soap works-you don't need Fels. Use your food processor to grate the soap.
By Linda (Guest Post)
Substitute for Washing Soda 10/28/2005
You can't really substitute baking soda (sodium bicarbinate) for washing soda (sodium carbonate). They are two different products and perform two different ways. A box of washing soda retails for less than $3. While I make big batches of the detergent (3 boxes of each borax, washing soda, a box of baking soda), you can get by easily for now with one box of each borax, baking soda, and a bar of Fels Naptha, which costs only 1.50. So to make this stuff, you only need to spend about 5-6 bucks. That should last you at least a month or more!

Call the A and H line to find out where to purchase the washing soda.

By Missy
Substitute for Washing Soda 11/01/2005
I remember when I was a child, my grandfather would make homemade soap, grate it up and use it for laundry. In my books on making homemade soap, laundry soap is soap rebatched with borax added, so you could use those two together without the washing soda. While baking soda and washing soda are chemically different, either can be added to a load of laundry. Some people use the bar soap with salt for a homemade detergent. Amy D. said plain water cleans without any soap at all. Use what you can, even if it's just soap in the water.
By susan (Guest Post)

Powdered detergent being placed in front loader washing machine with jeans
Finding a Substitute for Washing Soda
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Closeup of African American Man with Dreadlocks
Washing Dreadlocks
Pouring Sparkling Water
Making Sparkling Water
Washing Soda
Buying Washing Soda