Sunscreen Stains on Clothing

Can someone please help me with orange sunscreen stains on clothing? I'm finding the stains after washing. They don't appear until the clothing has been washed. I called Coppertone and they said it's the avobenzone reacting with iron levels in our water. I don't understand why this hasn't been a problem in the past.

I've tried Oxiclean, Biz, and now I'm going to try The Works like someone suggested. I'm ruining clothing left and right. The Blue Lizard Sensitive stuff works, but my son breaks out from it so he can't use it. Plus it's a pain to apply and everything sticks to it. I did just order some Trigger Spray Coppertone, the Coppertone people said it's one that doesn't have the avobenzone. Anyone else having this issue this year and not in the past?

Chantel from MN

I have had the same problem with staining when using Neutrogena Ultra Sheer. I have found that if you spray KABOOM for laundry on it, it removes the stain. It is hard to find ( I got mine off of the Shopping channel I think it is made by the same company as Oxiclean).

By Tia

Bar Keepers Friend

I sing praises to the internet and this website. Just got back from vacation and hot weather. Wore a high spf sunscreen (checked it and it has avobenzone in it). Needless to say, my white clothes got the big orange blotches when I washed them. I was so dismayed and tried Iron Out, stain remover, etc. I suspected sunscreen, so I did a search which lead me to this site. One feed back suggested Bar Keepers Friend, which I had on hand. Tried it and it worked. Just sprinkled it on the stains and they disappeared in seconds. There is a solution. Don't discard those clothes you might think are ruined.

By Thrifty Grandma

Lemon Juice

Do not use bleach or any Oxi type of cleaner. Oxidation is what caused the stains to begin with. Bleach, peroxide, or Oxi will cause the stains to get worse. Use lemon juice, vinegar, CLR, or acid-based (chelating) cleaner. The sunscreen stains will disappear before your eyes. (08/10/2009)

By saminbama

Everyone, please try a product named GOOP. It can be found in the automotive section of most discount stores. It is basically a hand cleaner, but works miracles on fabric stains. It is a white cream. Rub it in covering the entire stain and let it sit for at least an hour, then wash the item the regular way. My golf shirts come out stain free. This is not a joke and I am not associated with the product in any way.

By Rangered

Removing Sunscreen Stains from Clothing
Removing Sunscreen Stains from Clothing
sweat stain on dark clothing
Removing Underarm Sweat Stains from Clothing
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Baby being fed with formula.
Removing Baby Formula Stains from Clothing
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing