Removing Sunscreen Stains from Clothing

When using sunscreen you are bound to get some on your clothing and the stains can be difficult to remove, especially from white clothing. This page has advice about removing sunscreen stains from whites as well as darker clothing.

Having freckly/fair skin I need to wear sunscreen every day. Some brands can leave a yellow/brown stain on light clothes. To remove this stain: moisten the area, rub with plenty of dishwashing liquid (I use a popular clear green type), and scrub with a nail brush if the fabric can take it. Then soak overnight and wash as usual. I've come across this tip only once, and it works so well it bears repeating.

Sunscreen seems to be staining my t-shirts around the neck and also the tops of ankle socks. I've tried pre-cleaners and bleach and still no luck.

By Nancy

Feedback:

Dawn

Try Dawn dish washing liquid. I just used it for the first time to get rid of human urine on decorative bathroom rugs. (05/16/2010)

By metroplex

My Stain Tests

I have had the same orange problem for several years. Recently I did my own experiment with sunscreens we have at home. As many others noticed any with avobenzone left dark orange stains. However Walgreen's Baby Sunscreen stick, Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby, and Coppertone Sensitive Skin left no stains even after washing. Their active ingredients are tianium dioxide or zinc oxide instead of chemical sunscreens. They do go on thicker and slightly white, but I think it's better than ruining all my clothes.

I think our hard water is part of the problem. I also think that clothes that have been washed in hard water will hold a small amount of that rust in the fabric because there was almost immediately an orange discoloration on the old white cotton sock I used for my experiment, the stains became darker after washing.

I have attached a photo of the sock I used in my experiment. Below is the meaning of the letters on the sock.

By Shellie

The Works

I read many of the recommendations and tried "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner because I didn't have any of the bathroom cleaner. It worked instantly, no scrubbing needed! The stains just disappeared, even old stains that had been washed and dried multiple times. I went out and bought "The Works" bathroom cleaner and it worked just as well. I am so relieved. Don't try anything else, just go out and get "The Works" because it works!

By Bridget

After reading all the comments about chemical reactions I decided to do a little experimenting myself. I found that The Works tub & shower cleaner takes out the stain. I spray it on wet or dry clothes, rub it gently and walk away for 5 minutes. When I returned the stain was gone. It's very inexpensive (under $2) and can be purchased at Walmart or Kmart. It works great on rust stains in toilets & tubs too! Their website is theworkscleans.com and you can enter your zip to find a store near you.

By Barb

How do I get stains from sunscreen out of my clothes? It also left stains on my enamel on steel bathtub.

Answers

Best Answer

With a little bit of pre treatment and some time it is possible to get sunscreen stains out of clothes

Step 1
First make sure the clothing is dry.

Step 2
Then take baking soda and sprinkle over the stain to absorb any excess oil. You will want to let it sit for about 30 minutes.

Step 3
Next dust off any remaining baking soda and take some liquid dish soap and rub into the stain, let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Step 4
Now you will need to mix 1 teaspoon of laundry detergent into a bowl of hot water and allow garment to soak in this mixture for about an hour. Rinse with hot water then launder as usual.

I would like to credit Michelle Manetti from StylelistHomewriter for sharing these instructions.

How can I get the orange stains from sunscreen out of white clothes? I cannot find Biz bleach, which was recommended for an enzyme pre-soak. I also tired The Works but the stains reappeared as soon as I washed the clothing.

By Gail from NY

Answers

Best Answer

Bar Keepers Friend: Thanks for the tip! I had given up on my new white blouse badly stained from SPF cream, but I followed the instructions provided on this site and I can wear the blouse again! Many thanks to all who alerted me to this product which I had in my kitchen. It also removes stains from bathroom sinks, rust stains in the toilet basin and of course, shines the stainless steel sink to look like new. You all saved me a great deal of money!

I have recently returned from my holiday with white cotton clothing that is no longer white. The yellow color my whites have turned is thought to be sunscreen, but I'm not 100% positive. Does anyone have any suggestions that will help me?

By Tina Leeson from Dronfield, Derbyshire, England

Answers:

Removing Sunscreen from Whites

There is a product here in Canada called Yellow Out. I don't know if they sell it in the UK. Other than that, what about Vanish either the bar soap or the powder? I know it just about removes any stain. And there is the oldest soap I know,
Fairy Soap in the bar form. I would not try anything with bleach in it. It may yellow the stained areas even worse. I hope this has helped. (09/30/2009)

By lesley

I have a number of white cotton t-shirts that have orange and red stains around the sleeves and neck from what I could only imagine is sunscreen. These stains magically "appear" when I wash them.

Load More

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 14, 2012
🐛
😷
😎
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf325054.tip.html