Swamp Cooler Maintenance Tips

Keeping your swamp cooler running efficiently and storing it properly during the off seasons, will assure you it will be ready when you need it. This guide contains swamp cooler maintenance tips.

September 30, 2004 Flag

Foam "egg crates" (mattress pad) can be used to weatherize your swamp cooler. Remove the cover plate and stuff the egg crate into the empty hole. Be sure your swamp cooler is shut down (water off, power off). Now replace the cover. Go outside and cover the outside of your swamp cooler with plastic and duck tape. You can even use those big black lawn and leaf bags, depending on the size of your swamp cooler, one may fit it perfectly. No more wintery blast from your cooler this winter.

By Debra in CO

What do you do if your swamp cooler smells musty when you start it in summer? Is there something you can put in it for a more pleasant smell?

I think they mean something similar to an air conditioner. .....maybe.

PMZ

Most Coolers have a slot in the bottom of the big round blower housing. It may be inside the cooler itself, but usually is just outside the cooler. Into this slot you slide a sheet metal damper. Commonly called a "cookie sheet" damper. So named, because it looks like a simple square cookie sheet. The use of this damper blocks cold air from coming down into the house. It also stops warmed air from escaping.

When you insert the damper, you will need to seal the slot with aluminum tape. (available at most hardware stores.

If you have the slot, but no damper, many stores that sell cooler parts may have the damper (Not Home Depot or Lowes). Call around first. Measure across the slot ( usually 18 or 20) and take that measurement to the store.

If you can't find a store that has one, a sheet metal shop can make one in nothing flat.

To help the musty smell, (which is caused by algae) use what is commonly called a "Fresh Air Block" (many brands) This block has algaecides in it and is placed in the pan and slowly dissolves.

If you have questions about Evaporative Coolers feel free to email me. Visit my website, www.easycoolercare.com, and use either the Contact or FAQ button. While there, be sure and download the "FREE GIFT just for visiting".

Larry Galpin

Author: Easy Cooler Care  A Do-It-Yourself Guide To Servicing & Repairing Your Evaporative Cooler

www.easycoolercare.com

O.K. I give up, what is a swamp cooler and why do I want it winterized?

November 10, 2005 Flag

For roof top swamp coolers, thread the filler tube from the outside faucet through a piece of garden hose up to the swamp cooler. this will prevent the tube from deteriorating due to the heat from the sun...

June 15, 2012 Flag

What could I use in place of the pads in my cooler? I don't have regular pads and until I get some what can I use instead? Any ideas?

By cc

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In the chicken houses they use cardboard. I'm not sure what that would do to your unit, though. You may have to fashion a "sock" for it.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Maintenance and RepairNovember 1, 2013
orange tree in a terra cotta planter
Growing Fruit Trees in Pots
Adjusting a thermostat.
Keeping Your Home Cool on Hot Days
sedum flowers
Low Maintenance Plants
Photo of a someone checking their oil.
Keeping Track of Your Car's Maintenance Requirements
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 17, 2016 at 6:04:26 PM on 10.0.0.36 in 893 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.