Teaching Kids to Use a Computer

Category Tips
Children are exposed to electronic toys at a very early age, preparing them for the logical transition to using computer. This is a guide about teaching kids to use a computer.

Start young children on the computer. They love the quality time spent with them, plus they learn to spell so quickly. My granddaughter started at 3 years old. She learned the alphabet and spelling so quickly.

By vguy from Earle, AR

My grand daughters are wiz's on the computer! Here is Rory..3yo!

I have a 3 and 5 year old and I homeschool. At what age should I begin them on the computer and how? I'm 28 and I remember typing in late elementary school, but nothing else until middle school. I don't remember having email until late middle/early high school. I know they are starting kids earlier, but I don't know where to start my kids without spending a lot of money and don't believe they can be responsible enough yet to not touch when we aren't with them. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

By Jessica

I thought kids that age were already on computers, which I don't approve of, but that is my opionion. But why are you schooling a three year old?

Also, there are places where home schoolers can obtain the materials needed for homeschooling to make sure kids are learning what is required. Also your state should have a course of study outlining what has to be taught and when.

My 3 year old doesn't "do school" yet but watches educational videos, ie Sid the Science Kid, Leap Frog, Sesame Street, etc while his sissy does her schoolwork. Every once in a while he will practice some shapes on a dry erase book we were given.

As for the outline it says the equivalent of what they would learn in public school in regards to language arts, math, and the like. It says nothing about computer. I also believe that this age is much too young to be on the computer, but know parents that allow their loss younger than mine on theirs as well as knowing preschools that have computers for their kids in classrooms, and all the new "preschool computer programs" that are out there now.

I was just hoping for another's opinion on the issue or to know if I'm just being overprotective about it.

I remember using a computer from a very early age (my Dad was a computer geek way back before most people had a PC!), although internet access was very different then. What I do remember him teaching me were basic computing skills, which in today's world would probably be using a mouse and things like that. At that young age I think seperating "computer" and "internet" would be appropriate. You wouldn't want to turn them loose on it, if nothing else for the damage they might do to the machine!

But basic educational software and games could help a young child become familiar with the mechanics of using a computer. As they get older lessons in internet safety can come into play. Our daughter hasn't reached that age yet but I think that's how we'll go about it. She sees mummy and daddy using the computer and is curious about it already!

Just to add a note on age. I think whatever age you see fit is a good age to begin. If you feel that they're too young it wouldn't hurt to wait a couple of years. One factor to consider might be how much a computer is used at home. If it's something that you make regular use of it might make sense to start your children learning computer skills sooner rather than later. Also, if they have friends who use a computer you'd want to make sure they know how to use one safely.