Teaching Kids to Use a Computer

Children are exposed to electronic toys at a very early age, preparing them for the logical transition to using computer. This is a guide about teaching kids to use a computer.

May 12, 2009 Flag

Young girl using computer mouse.Start young children on the computer. They love the quality time spent with them, plus they learn to spell so quickly. My granddaughter started at 3 years old. She learned the alphabet and spelling so quickly.

By vguy from Earle, AR

I totally agree. My daughter started on the computer at 2 and is now one of the top readers in her first grade class. She has basic understanding of how to get onto the Internet as well and I monitor the sites she visits.

This in no way substitutes for spending time with my daughter but it keeps her learning and I think that is valuable as well.

I agree. My daughter started at age 3 and now she's 6 and really knows her way around the computer. Some good sites are: www.starfall.com, www.pbskids.org and www.noggin.com

Hey, this is a great idea! It's really too bad the PC, Mac and internet weren't around when I was a tot... who knows how far I could've gone!

My grand daughters are wiz's on the computer! Here is Rory..3yo!

February 8, 2012 Flag

I have a 3 and 5 year old and I homeschool. At what age should I begin them on the computer and how? I'm 28 and I remember typing in late elementary school, but nothing else until middle school. I don't remember having email until late middle/early high school. I know they are starting kids earlier, but I don't know where to start my kids without spending a lot of money and don't believe they can be responsible enough yet to not touch when we aren't with them. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

By Jessica

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I thought kids that age were already on computers, which I don't approve of, but that is my opionion. But why are you schooling a three year old?

Also, there are places where home schoolers can obtain the materials needed for homeschooling to make sure kids are learning what is required. Also your state should have a course of study outlining what has to be taught and when.

My 3 year old doesn't "do school" yet but watches educational videos, ie Sid the Science Kid, Leap Frog, Sesame Street, etc while his sissy does her schoolwork. Every once in a while he will practice some shapes on a dry erase book we were given.

As for the outline it says the equivalent of what they would learn in public school in regards to language arts, math, and the like. It says nothing about computer. I also believe that this age is much too young to be on the computer, but know parents that allow their loss younger than mine on theirs as well as knowing preschools that have computers for their kids in classrooms, and all the new "preschool computer programs" that are out there now.

I was just hoping for another's opinion on the issue or to know if I'm just being overprotective about it.

I remember using a computer from a very early age (my Dad was a computer geek way back before most people had a PC!), although internet access was very different then. What I do remember him teaching me were basic computing skills, which in today's world would probably be using a mouse and things like that. At that young age I think seperating "computer" and "internet" would be appropriate. You wouldn't want to turn them loose on it, if nothing else for the damage they might do to the machine!

But basic educational software and games could help a young child become familiar with the mechanics of using a computer. As they get older lessons in internet safety can come into play. Our daughter hasn't reached that age yet but I think that's how we'll go about it. She sees mummy and daddy using the computer and is curious about it already!

Computers TipsAugust 29, 2013
Students in a Kindergarten Classroom
Teaching Kindergarten Students
A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
A man teaching a computer class.
Teaching a Computer Class
A senior man using a computer.
Teaching Seniors to Use a Computer