Teaching Seniors to Use a Computer

As we age learning a new skill can be exciting and intimidating at the same time. Teaching older people to use a computer may often require different tactics than when working with children or students. This is a guide about teaching seniors to use a computer.

January 4, 2009 Flag

For our senior citizens. This is for those of us with brain fog and using computers. I keep an address book to keep up with passwords and sign in info. It stays right in a drawer or by the computer. Buy printer paper when it is on sale. I also use photo paper from the dollar tree. My cousin showed me that printing on notebook paper works out good. I use calligraphy ink for refills. I have a chair with arms on it I have been known to fall asleep.

By Bozomom from Eastern NC

Never, EVER keep passwords near your computer! If a burglar breaks into your house, he'd be able to wipe out the cash in your bank accounts, using your bank web site log in information!

With fibromyalgia, I have massive brain fog, too...but I just use the same alphanumeric password on all my accounts. Far safer than writing things down. ;-)

I'd really like to know how to put calligraphy ink in my cartridges. Do you know if you can use this on all brands of inkjet printers? And I totally agree about not keeping your passwords near your computer if important ones are in there.

After having my computer crash and losing all my programed passwords, I too maintain a list of all passwords and important info. I use a steno pad I got at a yard sale for a dime! I like the address book (dollar stores carry them) idea, since I have to scan through many site titles to find what I need. Thank You for the great tip. Oh, I am 58 and disabled.

I keep passwords of all the sites I visit in a loose leaf binder notebook. It's not labelled, although I have slipped in a photo of my pet on the front cover. I section it off alphabetically w/tab dividers. I keep it in a bookcase, along with many other books. No one knows it's my online address book, unless they take the time to leaf through my bookcase, find the binder, leaf through that. Find my bank address and log in, and I suppose transfer money out? What burglar has time to sit around and do all that?

November 22, 2011 Flag

Through experience, I have found that the best way to have the elderly or special needs people learn a computer is to start them on playing solitaire. They are then able to get use to the movements of the mouse and the drop down menu functions.

Computers TipsAugust 29, 2013
Students in a Kindergarten Classroom
Teaching Kindergarten Students
A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
Father teaching his son to drive
Teaching a Teen to Drive
A man teaching a computer class.
Teaching a Computer Class