Browsing: Testing Egg Freshness

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Testing Egg Freshness

There are a number of ways to determine whether an egg is still consumable. This guide is about testing egg freshness.

Testing Egg Freshness
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 29, 2015 Flag

We have 2 chickens and the eggs can stack up quickly sometimes. We collect our eggs in a basket on the counter. Then when the basket gets full, we put them into a sink full of water (at least a few inches above the eggs) to check their freshness and clean them. We rarely have a bad egg that needs to be thrown away, but you can also find the ones that are the oldest and need to be used first.

Checking Eggs for Freshness

It's very easy to tell (see photos below):

• If it FLOATS, it's bad and should be thrown out.
  • If it STANDS ON END in the bottom of the sink, it's getting old and should be used first.
  • If it LAYS ON ITS SIDE, it's great and very fresh.

Checking Eggs for Freshness

Checking Eggs for Freshness

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 6, 2011 Flag

What is the latest that eggs kept in the refrigerator are safe to eat? I get rid of them by date stamped on the container. My neighbor says I'm throwing out perfectly good eggs.

By R. Schober from San Antonio, TX

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You poor thing :-( Your neighbor is correct so I am glad you asked to verify.

I've kept eggs for up to two and a half months without a problem. Keep them in their original container and place them next to the side wall on the bottom shelf (that shelf being the top of the crisper bin) and you should have no problem. I keep my refrigerator temperature control set at 6 in the summer and 5 during the winter.

Also, older eggs are awesome for hard boiling because they peel easier than fresh ones ;-)

One more thing! Make sure they have no cracks because once the air starts seeping in through the cracks the eggs will go bad more quickly.

The date on the container is the last sell date acceptable. I buy the one with the date furthest away and use until they are gone. I'm 78 years young and have never been sick yet.

Deeli is right, I have kept and used eggs up to 3 months after the expiration date (refrigerated). Just be sure to open and look/smell test before cooking.

GG Vi

I also like to use the Still Tasty website:

http://www.stilltasty.com/

Read More Answers...

July 30, 2008 Flag

With grocery prices rising almost daily, I am even more prudent in seeking even small ways to save. Tip: Don't throw away eggs just because the sell by date has passed. If you will fill a pot with water and put the eggs in, the ones which are still good will touch the bottom. The ones which fully float are no longer any good. I do this regularly and have seen good results in this procedure.

Source: I have no idea where I learned this since I've been doing it for years.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

April 28, 2008 Flag

You can determine the age of an egg by placing it in the bottom of a bowl of cold water. If it lays on it's side, it is fresh. If it stands at an angle, it is at least three days old and ten days old if it stands on end.

By Gary from NJ

August 23, 2004 Flag

If you want to know if an egg is still fresh, put it in a bowl of salt water. If the egg floats or sits with the big end up, the egg is no good.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food Safety AdviceSeptember 29, 2012
    asparagus on wood cutting board
    Canning Asparagus
    Storing Oranges, Canning Oranges, A bunch of bright round oranges.
    Canning Oranges
    Soft Boiled Egg
    Making a Soft Boiled Egg
    Egg Salad
    Making Egg Salad
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:53:45 AM on 10.0.0.164 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.