Testing Egg Freshness

There are a number of ways to determine whether an egg is still consumable. This guide is about testing egg freshness.

Testing Egg Freshness
Filter Sort

Tip: Checking Eggs for Freshness

By lalala... 731 97

We have 2 chickens and the eggs can stack up quickly sometimes. We collect our eggs in a basket on the counter. Then when the basket gets full, we put them into a sink full of water (at least a few inches above the eggs) to check their freshness and clean them. We rarely have a bad egg that needs to be thrown away, but you can also find the ones that are the oldest and need to be used first.

It's very easy to tell (see photos below):

• If it FLOATS, it's bad and should be thrown out.
  • If it STANDS ON END in the bottom of the sink, it's getting old and should be used first.
  • If it LAYS ON ITS SIDE, it's great and very fresh.

Checking Eggs for Freshness

Checking Eggs for Freshness

Checking Eggs for Freshness

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Shelf Life of Eggs

By Roberta S. 5 1

What is the latest that eggs kept in the refrigerator are safe to eat? I get rid of them by date stamped on the container. My neighbor says I'm throwing out perfectly good eggs.

By R. Schober from San Antonio, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Maryeileen 76 1,143 Flag

I also like to use the Still Tasty website:

http://www.stilltasty.com/

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Floating Eggs Are Too Old To Use

By Sandy Bass 114 1

With grocery prices rising almost daily, I am even more prudent in seeking even small ways to save. Tip: Don't throw away eggs just because the sell by date has passed. If you will fill a pot with water and put the eggs in, the ones which are still good will touch the bottom. The ones which fully float are no longer any good. I do this regularly and have seen good results in this procedure.

Source: I have no idea where I learned this since I've been doing it for years.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Determine the Age of an Egg

By Gary Dominicus 23 35

You can determine the age of an egg by placing it in the bottom of a bowl of cold water. If it lays on it's side, it is fresh. If it stands at an angle, it is at least three days old and ten days old if it stands on end.

By Gary from NJ

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Testing Egg Freshness

If you want to know if an egg is still fresh, put it in a bowl of salt water. If the egg floats or sits with the big end up, the egg is no good.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food Safety AdviceSeptember 29, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    asparagus on wood cutting board
    Canning Asparagus
    A paper bag full of groceries
    Storing Groceries
    Storing Oranges, Canning Oranges, A bunch of bright round oranges.
    Canning Oranges
    Canning Beets, Drying Beets, Growing Beets, Selecting Good Beets, Peeling Beets, Freezing Beets, Fresh Whole and Sliced Beets
    Freezing Beets
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 11:07:20 PM on 10.0.0.227 in 764 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings