Shelf Life of Eggs

What is the latest that eggs kept in the refrigerator are safe to eat? I get rid of them by date stamped on the container. My neighbor says I'm throwing out perfectly good eggs.

By R. Schober from San Antonio, TX

1-2 months... good rule of thumb is to crack open the egg smell it, if it smells or looks funny at all, don't use it.

stilltasty.com is an excellent site for your entire kitchen foods.

Eggs, fresh, raw, in the shell:

Keep refrigerated at all times.

After eggs are purchased, they may be refrigerated for 3 to 5 weeks, the "sell by" date on the package, if one exists, will usually expire during that storage period, but the eggs will remain safe to use.

Do not store eggs in the molded egg rack of the refrigerator door, as the temperature is too warm, eggs will keep much better when stored in the main body of the refrigerator, in their purchased carton.

Do not freeze eggs in their shells.
To freeze whole eggs: (1) Remove eggs from their shells; (2) Pierce yolks and gently mix in 1/2 teaspoon of salt for every one cup of raw eggs (if using eggs for main dishes) or 1 tablespoon of sugar (if using or baking or desserts); (3) Place in covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags and freeze.

Freezer time shown is for best quality only--foods kept constantly frozen at 0 degrees F will keep safe indefinitely.

Refrigerator 3-5 weeks
Freezer 1 year

Anonymous

You poor thing :-( Your neighbor is correct so I am glad you asked to verify.

I've kept eggs for up to two and a half months without a problem. Keep them in their original container and place them next to the side wall on the bottom shelf (that shelf being the top of the crisper bin) and you should have no problem.

I keep my refrigerator temperature control set at 6 in the summer and 5 during the winter.

Also, older eggs are awesome for hard boiling because they peel easier than fresh ones ;-)

One more thing! Make sure they have no cracks because once the air starts seeping in through the cracks the eggs will go bad more quickly.

The date on the container is the last sell date acceptable. I buy the one with the date furthest away and use until they are gone. I'm 78 years young and have never been sick yet.

Deeli is right, I have kept and used eggs up to 3 months after the expiration date (refrigerated). Just be sure to open and look/smell test before cooking.

GG Vi

I also like to use the Still Tasty website:
www.stilltasty.com/

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food Safety AdviceSeptember 6, 2011
🌻
📓
🐛