Tips for Cooking Vegetables

This is a good rule of thumb to follow when cooking vegetables. If the vegetable is grown beneath the ground; such as potatoes, carrots, beets and other root type vegetables, then start it in cold water and cook it covered by a lid.

If the vegetable is grown above the ground; such as greens, including cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower, start them in boiling water and leave the lid off.

There are a few exceptions to this rule, such as baking potatoes, for instance, or oven-roasting root vegetables along with vegetables like squash, and bell peppers.

If the vegetables are being cooked or roasted alongside meats though, whatever way you are cooking or roasting, the meat takes precedence over the "just cooking vegetables" rule.

This was a wonderful guide for me when I was learning to cook.

By pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

Answers:

Tips For Cooking Vegetable

This is the kind of thing Home Economics teachers should be teaching if Home Economics is even being taught in our schools anymore. Our two sons are in high school, and Shop isn't even being offered anymore. If their dad didn't know anything about tools, neither would they. Times are a'changin. Thanks pookarina. ww (04/15/2010)

By WiggleWorm

Tips For Cooking Vegetable

Excellent advice and I agree wholeheartedly with WiggleWorm and it's sad that times have changed as they have in school :-( Thanks for sharing the tips! (04/15/2010)

By Deeli

Tips For Cooking Vegetable

I agree all the way with Deeli and WiggleWorm. I wish they would bring back some of the classes I took when I was in school. Today, it seems as if all they're teaching our kids is how to push paper.

I still learn everything I can about cooking or making a garden or taking care of our pets, and we want our grandchildren to know the kinds of things that build and make a good home. My children would have missed a lot if my husband and I not been taught by our parents. They would never have learned it in school.

This newsletter is a great place to share, and I am so happy to have found it. These tips for cooking vegetables is such a good example. Lee (04/18/2010)

By Shadow030236

Tips for Cooking Vegetables
Veggie seeds.
Growing Vegetables from Seeds
Frozen Vegetables
Cooking Frozen Vegetables
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
🎉
🎄