Tomato Plants Leaves Turning Yellow

The leaves turning yellow on your tomato plants is not a good sign. Determining the cause can be confusing. This is a guide about tomato plants leaves turning yellow.

Filter Sort

Question: Leaves on Tomatoes in Topsy Turvy Tree Turning Yellow

By JEAN 1 1

What would make my tomato plants leaves turn yellow? I am growing them in a Topsy Turvy Tree. I don't even have any tomatoes on them yet.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By JMLOPRINZI from Portland, OR

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Karen H. 10 140 Flag

Thanks Kffrm88 for sharing Tomatocasual.com. Great stuff on That site as well. : )

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Tomato Leaves Turning Yellow

By ruby1 1

I am not sure if it's a disease or what? Not all my tomatoes' leaves are yellow. They are brown at the end of the leaves, too.

By ruby1 from Augusta, GA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Edmund 1 29 Flag

It is my belief that what you are describing is Tomato Blight.

It is a disease which can turn all the leaves yellow, then brown. Interestingly enough, it doesn't seem to affect the fruits. It's almost impossible, at least for me it was, to do anything like apply this or that and fix the issue.

Like someone else said, if its a pole variety, pull off all the lowest branches until you come to one with fruit. I like to keep my stalks bare up to a foot from the ground. That usually takes most of the brown leaves off. Water Tomatoes regularly, they don't like overwatering or underwatering. But a good deep watering once a week, followed by regularly checking the dryness of the soil, there is no one set formula.

Sometimes its windy, the plant uses more water, sometimes its hot and more water evaporates than gets to the plant. The variables are there so check your tomatoes daily and if they need water, give them some. regular correct watering fixes almost every problem in Tomatoes. Next year be sure to plant them in a different location, and also consider buying a blight resistant seed, because,

I find, that once you have blight, you always have blight. I switched to blight resistant seed and have noo issues for the past 2 years.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Tomato Leaves Turning Yellow and Fruit Rotting on Bottom

By Kyra Leigh 4 1

Can you plant too many tomato plants in a given area? If so, how should they be spaced? Our plants are turning yellow from the ground up and the tomatoes are rotting on the undersides. Please can you help?

By Kyra from Bristol, TN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Grandma J 54 1,040 Flag

Calcium may be an issue, you can buy it at the local nursery. You should have planted some with it when beginning the garden. Also Blood Meal.

Now you can quickly remedy by getting epsom salts. This also is essential for blossom end rot. Go to their website and get the info and some is listed on the package (some brands do).

Any veggie that flowers in the garden needs epsom salts, aka Magnesium Sulfate. Essential for blossoms. Pick your tomatoes with end rot and get to the garbage. Do not leave. Bugs will love them and infest other things into the gardens.

Another thing. I do a clean up the bottom of the plants. Nothing for the first 10 inches up the plant stay. Needs air to move amongst the plants to keep it happy!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Tomato Leaves Turning Yellow

The leaves are turning yellow on my tomato plants. What should I do?

By Paula B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Tomato Leaves Yellow with Spots

North Carolina has been hit with an overabundance of rain. It is now starting to kill our plants. My tomatoes, look good on top, but on the bottom have yellow leaves with spots and and rotten leaves. Also something is eating through the green tomatoes.
What can I do?

By Cherihitt

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Leaves and Fruit on Tomato Plants Turning Yellow

By Jaqi K. 1

Why are the tops of my tomatoes yellow? The plants are mature and in pots! The leaves started yellowing pretty early, almost showing signs of some sort of disease. I thought maybe they weren't being watered thoroughly. Now that the tomatoes are maturing they are not very large and the tops of them are a deep yellow. Can anyone identify this problem? Thanks.

By Jaqi

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Tomato Plants Turning Brown and Yellow

I need help. My tomato plants are starting to turn brown and yellow. I don't understand why. The sunlight, watering, and feeding have been consistent, but not overwhelming. I need help. Please.

By Eddie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Tomato Plants
Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthMay 29, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Potted Plants
Leaves on Potted Plants Turning Yellow
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Leaves Turning Yellow
Plants Leaves Turning Yellow
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 10:58:52 PM on 10.0.1.191 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings