Tomato Plants Leaves Turning Yellow

The leaves turning yellow on your tomato plants is not a good sign. Determining the cause can be confusing. This is a guide about tomato plants leaves turning yellow.

Tomato Plants
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I am not sure if it's a disease or what? Not all my tomatoes' leaves are yellow. They are brown at the end of the leaves, too.

By ruby1 from Augusta, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You need some Epsom salts in it. On the package are instructions. Or google epsom salts. Have used this for years.

Also, clean up your bottom of the plants. They need air space. Good rule of thumb is nothing closer than 10 inches from the ground. Remove all plant materials. Both these suggestions also take care of bottom rot from tomatoes too.

OH, never splash water on your plants. They prefer being watered by laying the hose on the bottom dirt. Gentle flow rather than hurried spray. Rain water is different. That comes anyway and washes the plants. Hose water is not the same as rain water.

Best Answer

It is my belief that what you are describing is Tomato Blight.

It is a disease which can turn all the leaves yellow, then brown. Interestingly enough, it doesn't seem to affect the fruits. It's almost impossible, at least for me it was, to do anything like apply this or that and fix the issue.

Like someone else said, if its a pole variety, pull off all the lowest branches until you come to one with fruit. I like to keep my stalks bare up to a foot from the ground. That usually takes most of the brown leaves off. Water Tomatoes regularly, they don't like overwatering or underwatering. But a good deep watering once a week, followed by regularly checking the dryness of the soil, there is no one set formula.

Sometimes its windy, the plant uses more water, sometimes its hot and more water evaporates than gets to the plant. The variables are there so check your tomatoes daily and if they need water, give them some. regular correct watering fixes almost every problem in Tomatoes. Next year be sure to plant them in a different location, and also consider buying a blight resistant seed, because,

I find, that once you have blight, you always have blight. I switched to blight resistant seed and have noo issues for the past 2 years.

Read More Answers...

What would make my tomato plants leaves turn yellow? I am growing them in a Topsy Turvy Tree. I don't even have any tomatoes on them yet.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By JMLOPRINZI from Portland, OR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Usually when tomato leaves turn yellow the plant needs a few drops of vinegar in the water before watering. Good luck with your tomatoes. Windgate

Read More Answers...

My hanging tomatoes are looking good, but some of the leaves are yellowing. What am I doing wrong?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

By Gini from Carmel, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Over watering.

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves
***

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves
***
We are having problems with the leaves turning yellow on our tomato plants. I just added cow manure to the plants today. Is this okay to do, and will it help?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Lonnie from Greeneville, TN

Answers:

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

Add 1 T of Epsom salt to 1 gallon water for each watering. The magnesium will help green them up. You can also add 1 T all purpose fertilizer. If you add 1 T powdered milk as well, it will help prevent blossom end rot. (07/27/2010)

By Lamico

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I purchased a Roma tomato plant that is about 12 inches high. It had thick, green foliage Memorial Day weekend. It is on my deck and now some of the leaves are turning yellow and brown and curling, mostly on the bottom. It looks like they are dying in places.

My daughter and neighbor said it is getting too much water. We have had quite a rainy season, but I am wondering if it is something else. I moved it to my front porch and it was even worse. I watered it and it looks better. It perked it up, but do I break off stems or leaves? It has been really hot also. It does have blossoms and the tomatoes are also coming on. Any suggestions?

By Beverly from Kewanee, IL

Answers:

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

Maybe it's root bound and needs a bigger pot. (06/29/2010)

By msweed

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

Are you feeding it? Tomato plants need feeding once a week when the flowers appear and need to be well watered. Take off any side shoots that don't have flowers on them as these take all the goodness from the flower shoots. They also need sun to ripen them. (06/30/2010)

By blackbess

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Why do my tomato plants leaves turn yellow?

By Weston from Palmdale, CA

Answers:

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

You should try crushed egg shells around the plant! The calcium soaks in and helps the tomato plant. (06/16/2009)

By someflygirl

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

I've read that the reason they turn yellow is because the soil doesn't have enough nitrogen which is what makes the plant green.

If you use some good fertilizer on it like Miracle Gro that should fix it. Hope this helps. (06/17/2009)

By jesikarena

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

Get Epsom salts, I read that it is a magnesium deficiency. I followed the directions on the back of the bag and the leaves have quit turning yellow. (06/17/2009)

By kshanahan

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

It depends upon how they are turning yellow. See this page for excellent information on common problems and their solutions:

ext.colostate.edu</a. (07/30/2009)

By n8d06

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What would make my tomato plant's leaves turn yellow?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

By bbarbara737 from Hollywood, FL

Answers:

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

I would guess not enough water. (06/02/2009)

By foxrun41

Tomato Plants With Yellow Leaves

Generally it's a nitrogen deficiency. (06/02/2009)

By mandikaake

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a small greenhouse that I start over 400 tomato plants in for sale. This spring we have had some pretty nasty weather and some warm days too.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Has anyone had any problems with tomato leaves turning yellowish-brown and dying? Its growth seems to be stunted too. Thanks for any help.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My problem is that our tomato leaves are turning yellowish brown around the edges. Also on some of them the tops have died out. They are not looking like they are going to survive. What is causing this and what can I do about it?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can someone tell me why some of the leaves are turning yellow on my patio tomato plant?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Why are the leaves on my tomato plants turning yellow and the flowers will not set?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What causes yellow leaves on tomato plants?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have trouble every year with the leaves turning yellow on my plants. This is even before the tomatoes grow or turn red.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthMay 29, 2013
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Leaves Turning Yellow
Plants Leaves Turning Yellow
Cucumber Blooms
Cucumbers Turning Yellow
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 12:24:49 PM on 10.0.2.217 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.