Tomatoes in Hanging Planters

I have just bought some "Tumbler" tomato plants for hanging baskets, for the first time. Do I still need to pinch out the side shoots in the same way as normal tomatoes? Also, as I've never grown these before I am concerned that the basket may not provide enough depth of compost and consequently whether they will get enough water. Does anyone have any experience or tips please for growing hanging tomatoes?

Fiona from UK

Tomatoes in Hanging Planters

The suckers do need to be trimmed from the tomato whether it is in the ground, in a pot, or hanging upside down on your patio. These shoots will not produce fruit and will starve the main plant of vital nutrients. (06/16/2007)

By Adam

Hanging planter baskets holding tomato plants with numerous yellow blossoms and green cherry tomatoes against a rustic background.
Growing Tomatoes in Hanging Planters
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
Growing Tomatoes Upside Down
Growing Tomatoes Upside Down
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes