Top Load Washer Does Not Agitate

My Hotpoint top-load washer was moved without the shipping bar. I didn't know until I read the manual after it didn't work. The washer will not agitate now, but when it did it made a horribly loud grinding noise. What broke and can I fix this myself?

By Linda from West Allis, WI

Answers:

Top Load Washer Does Not Agitate

I just had the same thing repaired on my washer. It is a direct drive (no belt) there is a little gear piece (made of plastic) on the motor that turns the tub and it broke, made a horrible sound. We are lucky enough to know of someone who comes to your home to repair appliances and he fixed that and a refrigerator that had gone out (not the compressor) for about $120.00 including service call. Ask around and see if anyone knows someone who does home repair it took about 15 minutes to fix. Good luck. (01/22/2010)

By Ladylynnk

Top Load Washer Does Not Agitate

Ladylynnk is correct. It is a 3 piece coupling between the motor and transmission. Some years back, money was tight even back then, I didn't have the money for a repairman, so I looked the repair up online. I got the part, (which I keep one on hand at all times cause they usually break when the repair parts stores are not open). I followed the directions I got online and made the repair myself. (02/14/2010)

By carnation037

Top Load Washer Does Not Agitate
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
open washing machine
Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer
view down into top load washer during wash cycle
Cleaning a Top Load Washing Machine
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
🎄