Training Outside Cats to Be Indoor Cats

Category Cats
Young tabby cat standing standing on back legs with front paws against the inside of a white door looking out.
Rescued, and some adopted kitties, have often been living outdoors and will need some love and attention to make them inside cats. This is a guide about training outside cats to be indoor cats.

I have two rescue cats and am trying to make them indoor cats. How long will it take? I added two more rescues to my pet family six weeks ago. They must have been out a lot because they keep trying to get out. We decided to make these indoor cats because we lost two to the outdoors in the past year.

One problem is the older residents who are in/out cats. The newer ones see them go out and try to go too. I have to literally sneak out of my own home. Sometimes I go out the back door and come in the front just to avoid the ambush. The new cats are 7 mo. and 1 year. The older cats are 5 and 15. The 15 yr old stays close to the house, so not a problem when out.