Browsing: Treating a Dog With Urinary Incontinence

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Treating a Dog With Urinary Incontinence

When your elderly canine companion has accidents in the house, it is a problem. This guide is about treating a dog with urinary incontinence.

Photo of an old dog.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 16, 2011 Flag

I have a Great Dane that has incontinence. After numerous, expensive visits to the vet's, nothing has been able to help her until I obtained "Natural Pet Pharmaceuticals Urinary Incontinence" treatment from a distributor in Canada. But, effective January 1, 2011, I am no longer able to purchase this product in Canada. Does anyone have any cures or suggestions or ideas that will help me because I really don't want to put my baby to sleep. Thanks much and have a great day. Also, thanks to everyone for your answers to my previous posting.

By Willi from Calgary, AB, Canada

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you tried the 1-800petmeds site. They may have your medication.

I am in the US, my dog takes a product called Proin, but it is prescribed through a vet. It works perfectly, she doesn't have any more problems. Before she was given it I was constantly washing blankets and pillows daily and covering her bed with a thick towel and a waterproof tablecloth to cut down on accidents. Did the vet say why she has incontinence? My dog has it becasue of a bad spaying job when she was spayed at the pound when I adopted her. Good luck!

You may have already tried these since you have been to the vet but my dog was on Proin for many years and it worked. Then the problem began again so she was also put on DES and that has worked wonderfully!! It requires a Rx but I get it through the mail with my vet's Rx at about half the cost. Hopefully you can find something that works. Good luck.

Hello, Please see another Vet ASAP! Your fur baby need medical care. Good luck

Read More Answers...

April 10, 2012 Flag

My dog has become incontinent and drinks tons of water. Then he goes and pees in my house. What can I do? He has been checked out several times by a vet.

By Connie from Grover, MO

Even though he's been checked by a vet, it sounds like it could be diabetes, a UTI, or some other disease that causes excessive thirst and loss of bladder control. I would insist on more tests to get to the bottom of this; he's obviously got something going on with his health. It doesn't sound like he's incontinent as much as he drinks so much he has to go frequently, and might not can make it to the door.

This certainly sounds like diabetes. You dont mention your dogs age, but it is fairly common in older dogs and easy to treat. But it sounds lke you may need a new Vet. :)

In the meantime, it is easy to diaper him. Boys especially. A towel folded longways three times with a little extra absorbent (even a kotex or overnite pad) wrapped over his belly and pinned. If this condition is permanent, buy the proper diaper wrap and use kotex in the pocket over his plumbing. Easy.

Sure does sound like diabetes. Perhaps just a UTI. Don't give up on him. I have a blind shiatsu that i prefer the towel wrap and a strip of plastic over top of that. To those that retire their animals to a hospice could do so much better with letting them have their last days at home with those they love.

Too many hospice facilities have very poor, even cruel, practices. It is no big deal to change a diaper. Most of them wait for outside walk to do the brown cigars. When they get to suffering, it is time to let them go peacefully with you holding them at the vets office.

Pets Dogs HealthOctober 15, 2013
Stressed Dog
Dog Has Stress Incontinence
Treating and Vet Examining Cat
Treating and Preventing Urinary Tract Problems in Cats
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 4:09:52 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.