Browsing: Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection

An overabundance of yeast can result in infections on your dog's skin, in the ears, and other areas. This is a guide about treating a dog's yeast infection.

Dog's Yeast Infection
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 6, 2016 Flag

My Maltese/Yorkie has a bad skin infection, hot spots that are itchy and smelly. It is probably a yeast type infection. I have Gertaved spray, but he also has severe irritation under his eyes. What do I do about the eyes?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using Monistat cream or the generic Monistat. If this doesn't clear it up in a week or you don't see dramatic improvement soon then you are probably wrong about it being a yeast infection.

August 26, 2016 Flag

I have 4 Chihuahuas. They all are itching even after bathing them with Dawn in case they have fleas. I am also treating them afterwards with a flea treatment. They all are still itching and some have bald spots from biting and gnawing on their backs. My one female is extremely itchy. She literally hides and when she comes out she cries and scratches her back on a table or anything that is the right height for her to rib against.

I've looked things up on the internet and I believe she has a yeast infection on her back. She also crawls around to relieve the itch. My son read where you can give her Benadryl which I have been doing. She has a very foul odor that even bathing doesn't take away. Like I said I have treated her for fleas and when I check her I don't see any. Her skin on her back is black which leads me to believe it is a yeast infection. How can I treat this without taking her to the vet? As we have just lost our house and money is very tight. I feel so bad for her.

How can I get rid of it at home? I know the first thing they will try to give her is antibiotics. And I know in humans this can lead to a yeast infection. Having had it happen to me. We thought at first it was just hot spots. As I had a Shih Tzu who used to get them all the time. She doesn't seem to want to bite at it thankfully so I don't see any raw areas except around her genital area. Hence the crawling when she does come out of hiding. I'm ready to buy what we use to treat a yeast infection on us. But I'm afraid if she does start biting it will make her sick. Please help! I want her to get relief from this because I feel so bad for her. The others are itching and biting, but their skin isn't black like hers. Anybody know of a treatment that I can give her that won't harm her?

The first thing I would do is put them all on grain free diet. There are so many brands out there that you won't have trouble finding them.

A raw diet has also been suggested, however I worry about the safety in that.

I ended up with my little chi, making his food myself. I never use grains. I buy frozen veggies, ground beef, chicken breast, blue berries and cranberries. I put the cooked veggies in a food processor

and chunk the meat so he sees it. When I prepare each meal, I add 1 tsp coconut oil and crush a multi vitamin in it. Sometimes I add neutro powder as well. Sometimes I add egg. It is much less expensive and I know exactly what he is eating.

June 14, 2015 Flag

My 8 months old Pug has a skin yeast infection I think. Her skin is black, dry, flaky almost like elephant skin, and she is losing hair. It's not itchy.Treating Dog with Yeast Infection

I already tried using different kinds of soap, shampoo, and my vet gave me some tablets for "hair growth", but no use :( Please help me I'm really frustrated.

After spending $90 bucks for a office visit and skin test that later came back negative (after 14 days). I used a $1 tube of clotrimazole to treat an area on my dogs head where he was rapidly losing hair. I wasn't going to wait 14 days for him to prescribe something, so I did my own research on the internet. The clotrimazole worked immediately.

same problems with my pug if u have solve this problem to plz share with me

January 13, 2011 Flag

What are some natural remedies for yeast infections in my pet's ears?

By Immanuel from Tampa, FL

Always dilute the vinegar 1 part vinegar to 1 part water. Straight vinegar is too strong and will sting.

I have a 10 year old beagle mix, the only remedy for him has been absolutely NO grain. I tried everything remedy I could read about. The only topical treatment that helped at all was diluted vinegar with the mother.

October 16, 2009 Flag

I wrote asking for tips and have now cured the 'smelly' dog. I got a second vet's opinion regarding the awful smell my chocolate brown Lab had. The vet diagnosed a yeast infection and prescribed an anti fungal and anti bacterial shampoo.

January 30, 2013 Flag

A Border ColliePlease DO NOT put zinc oxide cream or ointment on your dog for itching from any cause. I did this without thinking, trying to help my Border Collie with severe itching, and he licked it all off. Zinc is a heavy metal and can be fatal, if ingested in adequate doses.

My dog was extremely sick for over 48 hours. He was vomiting, lethargic, having heavy panting, and, I would imagine, in pain. He would not eat, drink, or move. It scared me to death. I felt so bad for doing this to my baby.

Please learn from my mistake. Stick with A and D or Neosporin. These are not toxic. I hope this helps someone not make the same mistake I made.

By Wendy L. from Wilmington, NC

November 13, 2007 Flag

My dog had a yeast infection in her skin and throat (vet's diagnosis). I don't know exactly the yeast's species name. Her skin was itching and her hair shed. In some places, skin was scaled off and she felt very itching here. Her elbows had no hair. Some lumpy and scaled off spots emerged there.

Sometimes, she wanted to dislodge something out of her throat but she couldn't. At that times, she seemed to panic a little and seek grass for chewing vigorously. My pet's vet said that yeast might infect in her throat and cause that syndrome. The treatment is: shave off her hair and bath her with PVP Iodine. But I wonder if this treatment is absolutely effective. Because PVP Iodine is just an antiseptic . Moreover, I can't shave off my poor pet! If you have any tips to solve this problem, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

goodbyemino

I went through this with my dog off and on for 7 months with medication, medicated shampoo and it helped until she came off the medicine, and it came right back. I started doing a regular bath, after rinsing well I applied 1 part vinegar to 1 part water all over her body- did not rinse... I added a teaspoon of vinegar to each water bowl- every time she finished her water ALL gone, I would repeat. I did this and within a week she was cleared. To keep her PH going, I continue to add 1 teaspoon of vinegar to her water each time.

I absolutely agree with you and also vinegar and water works with it.

November 2, 2010 Flag

I have been treating my 4yr Shih Tzu Alfie for yeast infections since he was a pup and I have tried everything. I found out about the ACV/water solution yesterday.

He usually just has the yeast in his ears, but sometimes it spreads to the top of his head, which it has right now above both eyes from him scratching. He has some small scabs so there's open skin, and I'm wondering if I should still use the 50/50 solution on it?

I haven't been able to find anything on what to do with broken skin. Is there something else I can put on the open sores or should I apply the solution? I'm going to try the yogurt everyday and vinegar baths, but I was concerned about spraying the ACV/H20 on an open sore. I don't want to make him more miserable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping that after we get him going on these natural remedies there will be no more Benadryl, no more prednisone and expensive meds that don't even work! Thanks.

By Amber from MD

I have an 11 year old Shih Thu and have struggled with allergies,yeast and other akin problems. We ha e spent alot of time and money at the vet as well. I just found out about the ACV hydrogen peroxide and baking soda but when he scratches so bad to make wounds I use an antibiotic cream with pain relief and it seems to help the most. Good luck yeast has been our biggest problem and it will wear you down...

If it's yeast stay away from oatmeal. It breeds yeast!

June 9, 2013 Flag

Our dog is biting on her legs and feet. Her white legs are turning brown. What can we use to help her?

January 23, 2015 Flag

How much apple cider vinegar and yogurt do you give for a 50 or so pound with a very bad yeast infection?

Load More
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 17, 2012
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
oinment bottle
Treating a Staph Infection (Cellulitis)
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:20:11 AM on 10.0.1.95 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.