Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection

Category Health
An overabundance of yeast can result in infections on your dog's skin, in the ears, and other areas. This is a guide about treating a dog's yeast infection.

A dog holding a paw up to one of his ears, as if listening.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Many pet owners choose to treat their dog's yeast infections with natural products rather than seek medications from their vet. This is a guide about natural treatment for yeast infection in dog's ears.

I was going through earthclinic.com as usual, when I have something to share and I came across this article. It is a mini course in understanding Yeast Overgrowth, and Systemic Yeast Problems. I will do these preventative things first and the supplementation before I ever have my dog allergy tested, because most problems with itching and ear infections are not allergies but problems with yeast.

Here is the link:

My German Shepherd who is eight years old, has tons of yeast problems. I have her on pills to get rid of yeast and a special shampoo. Blackness around the ears, and on the legs and tummy, are signs of yeast die off, and it is a good thing to watch for these, so you will have a heads up of problems that need to be treated.

Yeast is not just a problem for dogs, it is also a buzz word in the autism community and one of the reasons for so many sicknesses we all have.

By Robyn from Tri-Cities, TN

You can treat itchy paws, by rubbing "over-the-counter" women's vaginal yeast/itch cream into every crevasse of your dog's paws. Make sure they are dried a bit using your blow dryer. Put booties on if it is wet outside to avoid further dampness (which encourages the growth of the itchy fungus) and put a pee pad on your patio where it is dry so dog learns to go in dry places.

You should select a dry area (or create one) so your dog can go without getting paws damp. Use a bag of bark from Home Depot or garden center and teach dog to go there instead. Create an overhang so it doesn't get wet.

You can also treat yeasty dog ears by inserting a Women's vaginal suppository into each ear. You may have have to split it longways into two or whittle it down a bit (save the rest). Repeat in 3 days. Use the 7 or 3 day treatment options. Leave the suppository in there, it will melt and disappear on its own. (Clean and dry the ear as much as possible first, but it works either way.) Give dog a nice hug and treat afterward and rub ears a bit to melt the suppository.

Source: Veterinarian

By shyblonde from Dublin, CA

Editor's Note: Please check with your own veterinarian before trying any home remedy on your pets.

I have a two year old Shih Tzu, who has bad yeast and/or bacterial infection. I lived in a wood floor home before moving to a carpeted home a year ago and that is where and when all the problems started. First fleas, now he is on pills for that. But now the skin condition is back and I need something as strong as amoxicillin, but healthy. Does anyone have great ideas that have worked for you?

I would not give my pet anything without consulting a vet.

Spot treating with organic apple cider is helpful. Read this website about dogs and yeast infections. It is very detailed:

http://www.dogs  yeast-infection/

I have 4 Chihuahuas. They all are itching even after bathing them with Dawn in case they have fleas. I am also treating them afterwards with a flea treatment. They all are still itching and some have bald spots from biting and gnawing on their backs. My one female is extremely itchy. She literally hides and when she comes out she cries and scratches her back on a table or anything that is the right height for her to rib against.

I've looked things up on the internet and I believe she has a yeast infection on her back. She also crawls around to relieve the itch. My son read where you can give her Benadryl which I have been doing. She has a very foul odor that even bathing doesn't take away. Like I said I have treated her for fleas and when I check her I don't see any. Her skin on her back is black which leads me to believe it is a yeast infection. How can I treat this without taking her to the vet? As we have just lost our house and money is very tight. I feel so bad for her.

How can I get rid of it at home? I know the first thing they will try to give her is antibiotics. And I know in humans this can lead to a yeast infection. Having had it happen to me. We thought at first it was just hot spots. As I had a Shih Tzu who used to get them all the time. She doesn't seem to want to bite at it thankfully so I don't see any raw areas except around her genital area. Hence the crawling when she does come out of hiding. I'm ready to buy what we use to treat a yeast infection on us. But I'm afraid if she does start biting it will make her sick. Please help! I want her to get relief from this because I feel so bad for her. The others are itching and biting, but their skin isn't black like hers. Anybody know of a treatment that I can give her that won't harm her?

Anonymous
Best Answer

It really sounds like mange. My dogs got mange and they had all the symptoms you mentioned. One dog receive 2 doses of ivermectin, two weeks apart and the other got revolution, two weeks apart. They are both doing so much better now! Hair remains clean, shiny and smelling good.

My lab is still licking her privates a lot so I think she may also be infected with yeast as well. So that's my next thing. My chihuahua is not showing the same symptoms so I think now that her mange is gone she is fine.

I had a wonderful lab that became really ill with yeast, and after doing some research found a really good natural treatment protocol at Nzymes.com. He was losing fur all over his face and the skin was puffy and blackish, along with thin patches on his body, chronic ear infections and strange itchy black skin patches all over his belly- he was constantly scratching. Vet check showed no mange. The supplements were easy to administer in his food, and it wasn't long before he started to improve, then fully healed within several months. The longer they've had the issue, the longer it will take to resolve. At the very least, get your dog on some probiotics. But I highly recommend the Nzyme supplements, and it's cheaper than going to the vets! Good luck! Chris

Can I use Monistat cream on my dog? If I buy the kit instead of using it on a on myself internally, can I spread it on my dog externally for a yeast infection?

Note: Just applying a yeast cream externally will not help your dog as the yeast problem is internal. Only a vet can diagnose the correct problem and prescribe the correct treatment.

Just remember whatever you put on your dog is likely to be ingested. I wouldn't want my dog eating Monostat.

My 8 months old Pug has a skin yeast infection I think. Her skin is black, dry, flaky almost like elephant skin, and she is losing hair. It's not itchy.

I already tried using different kinds of soap, shampoo, and my vet gave me some tablets for "hair growth", but no use :( Please help me I'm really frustrated.

Does this really work?

Anonymous

Pure aloe vera did not work for my Pitt bull terrier's skin issues on her stomach and creases of her legs. I was advised to try 2t. Per day of either Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon juice. Mix the 2t. into the water or onto the food. Supposed to help very quickly, and save lots of money from vet visits.

How do you use tea tree oil for canine yeast infection in ears?

Debe from Jamestown, RI

Best Answer

Earthclinic.com has lots of home remedies for pets. Check on the toxicity of tea tree oil on pets before using it though. Racer

Best Answer

I don't know too much about using the tea tree oil for this, BUT, I have another tip for you. My dog had a bad yeast problem with constant hot spots, scratching, and icky ears. My vet gave me drops for the ears and I added some plain yogurt to her diet each day. She is a Bichon and not too large but I give her a heaping tablespoon or more each day in her bowl. Sometimes I give it twice a day.

She also had stomach issues and we would find little piles of yellow icky stuff around. Since I started the yogurt, she has been incredibly better. No hot spots so far, knock on wood and no more stomach problems. The good bacteria in the yogurt kills off the yeast issues. Make sure it's unsweetened. I use Stoneyfield plain. It's been at least 8-9 months since I started the yogurt and so far so good. The vet also told me to clean her ears regularly with peroxide on a cotton ball, dampened, not soaking. Hope that helps.

What can I give my German Shepherd to prevent reoccurring yeast infections in his penis area? I have taken him to the vet several times and he was given antibiotics. The vet wants me to start douching him with vinegar and water a couple of times a week. He is a big dog and it is difficult trying to douche him, what can I gave him to take that will help?

By LP

Best Answer

Dont give up...this does work. I have had to do this with my horses, but they didn't seem to care at all, and I was using a garden hose.

Best Answer

Question: has the vet checked to see if your 4-footed baby is either diabetic or hypogycemic (prediabetic)? It's odd he would keep having reoccuring bouts of this if his sugar was balanced. I'd also keep his mouth as clean as possible. While he's washing himself he might be reinfecting himself too. One last thing, besides keeping up with the vinegar, I'd also be sure to feed him yogurt (natural, organic Greek is best-unsweetened, of course!) and give him a daily probiotic suppliment. Once his Ph is balanced and he has more good bacteria than bad, it should end the yeast problems. When giving the yogurt, I'd start with small amounts first and check his stool to be sure his system can tolerate it. I know you're a great puppy-mommy and your baby will be just fine!

I have been treating my 4yr Shih Tzu Alfie for yeast infections since he was a pup and I have tried everything. I found out about the ACV/water solution yesterday.

He usually just has the yeast in his ears, but sometimes it spreads to the top of his head, which it has right now above both eyes from him scratching. He has some small scabs so there's open skin, and I'm wondering if I should still use the 50/50 solution on it?

I haven't been able to find anything on what to do with broken skin. Is there something else I can put on the open sores or should I apply the solution? I'm going to try the yogurt everyday and vinegar baths, but I was concerned about spraying the ACV/H20 on an open sore. I don't want to make him more miserable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping that after we get him going on these natural remedies there will be no more Benadryl, no more prednisone and expensive meds that don't even work! Thanks.

By Amber from MD

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Just remember to use organic, unfiltered, raw, cold pressed ACV. I highly recommend Bragg which is available in most markets.

Anonymous

I have an 11 year old Shih Thu and have struggled with allergies,yeast and other akin problems. We ha e spent alot of time and money at the vet as well. I just found out about the ACV hydrogen peroxide and baking soda but when he scratches so bad to make wounds I use an antibiotic cream with pain relief and it seems to help the most. Good luck yeast has been our biggest problem and it will wear you down...

My dog had a yeast infection in her skin and throat (vet's diagnosis). I don't know exactly the yeast's species name. Her skin was itching and her hair shed. In some places, skin was scaled off and she felt very itching here. Her elbows had no hair. Some lumpy and scaled off spots emerged there.

Sometimes, she wanted to dislodge something out of her throat but she couldn't. At that times, she seemed to panic a little and seek grass for chewing vigorously. My pet's vet said that yeast might infect in her throat and cause that syndrome. The treatment is: shave off her hair and bath her with PVP Iodine. But I wonder if this treatment is absolutely effective. Because PVP Iodine is just an antiseptic . Moreover, I can't shave off my poor pet! If you have any tips to solve this problem, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

goodbyemino

You might try Castille soap too.

I went through this with my dog off and on for 7 months with medication, medicated shampoo and it helped until she came off the medicine, and it came right back. I started doing a regular bath, after rinsing well I applied 1 part vinegar to 1 part water all over her body- did not rinse... I added a teaspoon of vinegar to each water bowl- every time she finished her water ALL gone, I would repeat. I did this and within a week she was cleared. To keep her PH going, I continue to add 1 teaspoon of vinegar to her water each time.

My little Maltese cross has had a reoccurring ear infection for a few months now. The drops and wash given by the vet were not effective. I have been researching the use of diluted white vinegar, vaginal cream, and diluted apple cider, as well as, changing her food to a natural one. Her vet says she now needs an operation to open the ear canal. That freaks me out. Surely in this day and age I can use something that will help her other than an operation to cut her ears.

By Deb

Best Answer

I found this to be a very helpful site in understanding the problem of yeast infections in dogs.....

http://www.grea  _mini_course.htm

Also earthclinic.com has a pet section. I see that a lot of the time it is an allergy to grains and such. Never give brewers yeast for fleas.

Blessings, Robyn

Best Answer

Here's the recipe I use for my cocker spaniels and they are ear infection clear and have no problems because I used this recipe from the time they belonged to us and especially after their baths are given as it helps dry up any water that might get into their ears and preventing an infection. On my older pets now deceased, I didn't know about this and was always buying medicine from the vet that didn't really work that well. I did apply Zymox w cortizone for pet's ears and that product was better. BUT, it's still not as good as Blue Power Ear Wash.

http://www.show  powerearwash.htm

Our dog is biting on her legs and feet. Her white legs are turning brown. What can we use to help her?

By Marilynne A

Answer Was this helpful? 1

The yeast is a food allergy problem. If changing the dry food doesn't help. A raw meat diet will take care of the allergy as my daughter learned with her little dog's allergy.

Can I use vagisil wash on my dog?

My Maltese/Yorkie has a bad skin infection, hot spots that are itchy and smelly. It is probably a yeast type infection. I have Gertaved spray, but he also has severe irritation under his eyes. What do I do about the eyes?

Try using Monistat cream or the generic Monistat. If this doesn't clear it up in a week or you don't see dramatic improvement soon then you are probably wrong about it being a yeast infection.

How much apple cider vinegar and yogurt do you give for a 50 or so pound with a very bad yeast infection?

By Kathy

How are you giving this? Are you feeding it to him, or smearing it on, or what? Who told you to do this?

Think about it. If you had a vaginal yeast infection, would you smear some yogurt on it, or would you go out and get Monistat, fast?

This is just as irritating to your dog as it is to you when you get a yeast infection. The only way to get rid of it is to get real medicine. You get that from the vet.

Vetericyn solution or hydrogel as it will kill bacteria and yeast on the skin surface and is as safe as distilled water. TrizUltra + Keto by Dermapet is gentle and effective for bacterial and yeast ear infections.

Yogurt

Plain (raw, lacto-fermented, or unpasteurized) yogurt with live cultures - No added sugar or fruit.

Live yogurt contains probiotic bacteria. However, while some people advocate just adding a spoonful of plain, live yogurt to your dogs food, others warn against dairy products with dogs, mostly because of the risk of lactose intolerance. If you do decide to feed your dog a spoonful of yogurt, make sure that it is a live yogurt, and that it is the plain variety with no sugar or artificial sweetener, as this will do your dog more harm than good.

Fruit-flavored yogurts are absolutely off limits for your dog, even if he does like them. This is because of the sugar levels. Also, only add the yogurt to the food until your dog's digestive problems clear up.

Small breed: 1 teaspoon

Medium breed: 1 tablespoon

Large breed: 2 tablespoons

Acidophilus Dosage

To work effectively, probiotics need to be given in high doses. This is because they need to survive a journey through the acidic stomach and small intestine to reach the large intestine, where the good bacteria do all their work. According to "Modern Dog" magazine, your dog needs to consume millions or billions of live acidophilus bacteria.

A dog probiotic product should indicate the number of colony forming units (CFUs) per gram of probiotic. This translates, for example, into 1x106 CFU for 1 million per gram and 1x109 CFU for a ratio of 1 billion per gram. Because probiotics are not drugs, giving an exact dosage is not so important, according to Dr. Shawn of the Paws & Claws animal hospital in Plano, Texas. He also says that the daily dose range for dogs is between 20 to 500 million CFUs, whereas people need between 3 and 5 billion CFUs per day.

My 7 year old Dachshund has had a yeast infection all over the stomach and legs and in one ear. She keeps on licking her backside and it's gone black and she pulls herself along the ground. She's had it now for about 4 months. I've taken her to the vet 3 times and we keep getting the same antibiotics (THERIOS 750mg) and malaseb 20mg. It helped for 1 week and it came back. She doesn't eat wheat or corn in the diet and she is not over weight. I really need to get help for her, I can't take her biting and being in pain anymore.

By Emma.A from Finland

Anonymous

I hear that coconut oil is a home remedy

Antibiotics makes yeast infections worse. No oatmeal baths. Try Braggs apple cider vinegar bath. 4 tbsp to 2 cups water. Massage in. Feed 1 tbsp of plain yogurt..natural..not sweetened. Once a day. You will see a difference.

I have a female Chihuahua that has an yeast infection around her vulva. Several vets have prescribed medications and nothing is helping. It remains raw and very uncomfortable for her. Any ideas what to do for her? I use A and D ointment just to help the burning subside, but I need something to get rid of it permanently. Thanks.

By Crystal from Des Moines, IA

Anonymous

Women's Momistat Cream

I sprinkle a capsule of probiotics on my dogs and cats food. The dog is for all his skin issues. My cat is allergy to insects...every spring his nose gets bitten and the hair falls out and gets all crusty. Not much help from the vet. Read to try building him immune system and found probiotics and omega-3 oil on food seems to help some. Makes the cats hair beautiful and super shiney. I found probiotics for dogs and cats for sale but it was so expensive, I wrote down the stains in their blend and found basically the same ones for humans much cheaper. You just dump the powder on their food, it is tasteless so they eat it just fine.

My dog has a yeast infection in his ears. I read a thread about apple cider vinegar and water mixed, but don't see the exact recipe and other websites say white vinegar. Help? He has been on a grain free diet for a year now and he still gets them.

By Jennifer

Best Answer

If it's a yeast infection of the same fungus women get, maybe a cream for such from dollar tree, rubbed softly inside ears? It's one dollar there vs many more at any other store.

We have a 10 pound Maltipoo puppy and we feed her Holistic Select which is wheat, soy, color, and preservative free. I am wondering if that is good enough. I have read that raw meat is better, but I wouldn't know how much or what kind to feed her. Any food ideas? Thank you for your help! and thanks to this web site I am treating Sugar naturally for ear fungus. Thank you!

By Mercedes from OC, CA

Best Answer

My dog had a chronic yeast infection in his ears and when I changed his dog food from Pedigree to Nutro Natural Choice (Lamb Rice Formula), it all cleared up.

Thank you for your help!

Load More