Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection

An overabundance of yeast can result in infections on your dog's skin, in the ears, and other areas. This is a guide about treating a dog's yeast infection.

August 26, 2016 Flag

I have 4 Chihuahuas. They all are itching even after bathing them with Dawn in case they have fleas. I am also treating them afterwards with a flea treatment. They all are still itching and some have bald spots from biting and gnawing on their backs. My one female is extremely itchy. She literally hides and when she comes out she cries and scratches her back on a table or anything that is the right height for her to rib against.

I've looked things up on the internet and I believe she has a yeast infection on her back. She also crawls around to relieve the itch. My son read where you can give her Benadryl which I have been doing. She has a very foul odor that even bathing doesn't take away. Like I said I have treated her for fleas and when I check her I don't see any. Her skin on her back is black which leads me to believe it is a yeast infection. How can I treat this without taking her to the vet? As we have just lost our house and money is very tight. I feel so bad for her.

How can I get rid of it at home? I know the first thing they will try to give her is antibiotics. And I know in humans this can lead to a yeast infection. Having had it happen to me. We thought at first it was just hot spots. As I had a Shih Tzu who used to get them all the time. She doesn't seem to want to bite at it thankfully so I don't see any raw areas except around her genital area. Hence the crawling when she does come out of hiding. I'm ready to buy what we use to treat a yeast infection on us. But I'm afraid if she does start biting it will make her sick. Please help! I want her to get relief from this because I feel so bad for her. The others are itching and biting, but their skin isn't black like hers. Anybody know of a treatment that I can give her that won't harm her?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

It really sounds like mange. My dogs got mange and they had all the symptoms you mentioned. One dog receive 2 doses of ivermectin, two weeks apart and the other got revolution, two weeks apart. They are both doing so much better now! Hair remains clean, shiny and smelling good.

My lab is still licking her privates a lot so I think she may also be infected with yeast as well. So that's my next thing. My chihuahua is not showing the same symptoms so I think now that her mange is gone she is fine.

I used to have a guinea pig that had a yeast infection. I shampooed with a human anti-fungal shampoo. Usually, you can find these by the anti-dandruff shampoos. Let the shampoo sit a few minutes and rinse. Can use an anti-fungal cream or spray (for athletes foot) in the rash if it itches. Switching to a grain-free food is good, too. Check the ingredients to see if it contains Vit C (ascorbic acid) which helps immune system to fight.

I had a wonderful lab that became really ill with yeast, and after doing some research found a really good natural treatment protocol at Nzymes.com. He was losing fur all over his face and the skin was puffy and blackish, along with thin patches on his body, chronic ear infections and strange itchy black skin patches all over his belly- he was constantly scratching. Vet check showed no mange. The supplements were easy to administer in his food, and it wasn't long before he started to improve, then fully healed within several months. The longer they've had the issue, the longer it will take to resolve. At the very least, get your dog on some probiotics. But I highly recommend the Nzyme supplements, and it's cheaper than going to the vets! Good luck! Chris

Read More Answers...

June 14, 2015 Flag

My 8 months old Pug has a skin yeast infection I think. Her skin is black, dry, flaky almost like elephant skin, and she is losing hair. It's not itchy.

I already tried using different kinds of soap, shampoo, and my vet gave me some tablets for "hair growth", but no use :( Please help me I'm really frustrated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

same problems with my pug if u have solve this problem to plz share with me

Rub fresh aloe vera on skin

Does this really work?

Read More Answers...

March 6, 2009 Flag

How do you use tea tree oil for canine yeast infection in ears?

Debe from Jamestown, RI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Earthclinic.com has lots of home remedies for pets. Check on the toxicity of tea tree oil on pets before using it though. Racer

Best Answer

I don't know too much about using the tea tree oil for this, BUT, I have another tip for you. My dog had a bad yeast problem with constant hot spots, scratching, and icky ears. My vet gave me drops for the ears and I added some plain yogurt to her diet each day. She is a Bichon and not too large but I give her a heaping tablespoon or more each day in her bowl. Sometimes I give it twice a day.

She also had stomach issues and we would find little piles of yellow icky stuff around. Since I started the yogurt, she has been incredibly better. No hot spots so far, knock on wood and no more stomach problems. The good bacteria in the yogurt kills off the yeast issues. Make sure it's unsweetened. I use Stoneyfield plain. It's been at least 8-9 months since I started the yogurt and so far so good. The vet also told me to clean her ears regularly with peroxide on a cotton ball, dampened, not soaking. Hope that helps.

Best Answer

It doesn't matter if it is yeast or ear mites, tea tree will help heal and soothe your pet. Get a carrier oil--olive oil will do. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to about 1 oz of the carrier oil. After cleaning the ears with peroxide (if you can), add some tea tree oil mixture, close the ear and rub the ourside to distribute it. After a few days, your pet should feel better. But remember, it the problem is yeast (systemic), you will have to deal with it because the tea tree mixture will only treat symptoms, not the actual problem. Like butterfly suggested, you can give your pet yogurt, or just buy some acedophilus or probiotics and mix some with food daily. Yeast feeds on sugars and grains, so you may want to check your pet food.

Read More Answers...

September 6, 2016 Flag

My Maltese/Yorkie has a bad skin infection, hot spots that are itchy and smelly. It is probably a yeast type infection. I have Gertaved spray, but he also has severe irritation under his eyes. What do I do about the eyes?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using Monistat cream or the generic Monistat. If this doesn't clear it up in a week or you don't see dramatic improvement soon then you are probably wrong about it being a yeast infection.

April 18, 2013 Flag

What can I give my German Shepherd to prevent reoccurring yeast infections in his penis area? I have taken him to the vet several times and he was given antibiotics. The vet wants me to start douching him with vinegar and water a couple of times a week. He is a big dog and it is difficult trying to douche him, what can I gave him to take that will help?

By LP

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Dont give up...this does work. I have had to do this with my horses, but they didn't seem to care at all, and I was using a garden hose.

Best Answer

Question: has the vet checked to see if your 4-footed baby is either diabetic or hypogycemic (prediabetic)? It's odd he would keep having reoccuring bouts of this if his sugar was balanced. I'd also keep his mouth as clean as possible. While he's washing himself he might be reinfecting himself too. One last thing, besides keeping up with the vinegar, I'd also be sure to feed him yogurt (natural, organic Greek is best-unsweetened, of course!) and give him a daily probiotic suppliment. Once his Ph is balanced and he has more good bacteria than bad, it should end the yeast problems. When giving the yogurt, I'd start with small amounts first and check his stool to be sure his system can tolerate it. I know you're a great puppy-mommy and your baby will be just fine!

October 13, 2014 Flag

Is there a pill for yeast in my puppy's ears instead of ointment?

By Dee Dee from Easton, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Either use Zymox Ear Treatment that can be found in pet stores or mix your own concoction of Blue Power Ear Wash. You can find the recipe on this website or do a google search on the name. Many dog breeders use this as it's inexpensive to make and works great on long ear pets. I use it on my own dogs and they've never had an ear infection.

Is organic coconut oil good to treat my dogs yeast infection in his ear

November 13, 2007 Flag

My dog had a yeast infection in her skin and throat (vet's diagnosis). I don't know exactly the yeast's species name. Her skin was itching and her hair shed. In some places, skin was scaled off and she felt very itching here. Her elbows had no hair. Some lumpy and scaled off spots emerged there.

Sometimes, she wanted to dislodge something out of her throat but she couldn't. At that times, she seemed to panic a little and seek grass for chewing vigorously. My pet's vet said that yeast might infect in her throat and cause that syndrome. The treatment is: shave off her hair and bath her with PVP Iodine. But I wonder if this treatment is absolutely effective. Because PVP Iodine is just an antiseptic . Moreover, I can't shave off my poor pet! If you have any tips to solve this problem, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

goodbyemino

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You might try Castille soap too.

I went through this with my dog off and on for 7 months with medication, medicated shampoo and it helped until she came off the medicine, and it came right back. I started doing a regular bath, after rinsing well I applied 1 part vinegar to 1 part water all over her body- did not rinse... I added a teaspoon of vinegar to each water bowl- every time she finished her water ALL gone, I would repeat. I did this and within a week she was cleared. To keep her PH going, I continue to add 1 teaspoon of vinegar to her water each time.

I absolutely agree with you and also vinegar and water works with it.

Read More Answers...

January 7, 2012 Flag

My little Maltese cross has had a reoccurring ear infection for a few months now. The drops and wash given by the vet were not effective. I have been researching the use of diluted white vinegar, vaginal cream, and diluted apple cider, as well as, changing her food to a natural one. Her vet says she now needs an operation to open the ear canal. That freaks me out. Surely in this day and age I can use something that will help her other than an operation to cut her ears.

By Deb

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I found this to be a very helpful site in understanding the problem of yeast infections in dogs.....

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/systemic_yeast_mini_course.htm

Also earthclinic.com has a pet section. I see that a lot of the time it is an allergy to grains and such. Never give brewers yeast for fleas.

Blessings, Robyn

Best Answer

Here's the recipe I use for my cocker spaniels and they are ear infection clear and have no problems because I used this recipe from the time they belonged to us and especially after their baths are given as it helps dry up any water that might get into their ears and preventing an infection. On my older pets now deceased, I didn't know about this and was always buying medicine from the vet that didn't really work that well. I did apply Zymox w cortizone for pet's ears and that product was better. BUT, it's still not as good as Blue Power Ear Wash.

http://www.showdog-magazine.com/holistic/bluepowerearwash.htm

November 2, 2010 Flag

I have been treating my 4yr Shih Tzu Alfie for yeast infections since he was a pup and I have tried everything. I found out about the ACV/water solution yesterday.

He usually just has the yeast in his ears, but sometimes it spreads to the top of his head, which it has right now above both eyes from him scratching. He has some small scabs so there's open skin, and I'm wondering if I should still use the 50/50 solution on it?

I haven't been able to find anything on what to do with broken skin. Is there something else I can put on the open sores or should I apply the solution? I'm going to try the yogurt everyday and vinegar baths, but I was concerned about spraying the ACV/H20 on an open sore. I don't want to make him more miserable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping that after we get him going on these natural remedies there will be no more Benadryl, no more prednisone and expensive meds that don't even work! Thanks.

By Amber from MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just remember to use organic, unfiltered, raw, cold pressed ACV. I highly recommend Bragg which is available in most markets.

I have an 11 year old Shih Thu and have struggled with allergies,yeast and other akin problems. We ha e spent alot of time and money at the vet as well. I just found out about the ACV hydrogen peroxide and baking soda but when he scratches so bad to make wounds I use an antibiotic cream with pain relief and it seems to help the most. Good luck yeast has been our biggest problem and it will wear you down...

If it's yeast stay away from oatmeal. It breeds yeast!

Read More Answers...

June 9, 2013 Flag

Our dog is biting on her legs and feet. Her white legs are turning brown. What can we use to help her?

By Marilynne A

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The yeast is a food allergy problem. If changing the dry food doesn't help. A raw meat diet will take care of the allergy as my daughter learned with her little dog's allergy.

Can I use vagisil wash on my dog?

My dog is itching all the time and has dark on the back of her back legs

Read More Answers...
Load More
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 17, 2012
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
oinment bottle
Treating a Staph Infection (Cellulitis)
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
🎉
🎄