Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection

An overabundance of yeast can result in infections on your dog's skin, in the ears, and other areas. This is a guide about treating a dog's yeast infection.

Dog's Yeast Infection
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My 8 months old Pug has a skin yeast infection I think. Her skin is black, dry, flaky almost like elephant skin, and she is losing hair. It's not itchy.

I already tried using different kinds of soap, shampoo, and my vet gave me some tablets for "hair growth", but no use :( Please help me I'm really frustrated.

Treating Dog with Yeast Infection
    AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog's skin looked almost exactly like the picture you posted. The only difference was that she was terrible itchy. I took her to the vet a few days ago and found out that she has demodectic mange. That's not the scary, contagious kind, but rather caused by a mite. It's not contagious to other dogs or people. She also has a bacterial staph infection and a yeast infection. Poor thing! No wonder I couldn't solve her problem by changing her diet or bathing her.

Solution: To kill the mites, my vet prescribed Bravecto. It's a pill that kills fleas and mites - but off label it also kills these mites. It's an expensive pill, but lasts for 3 months. It was also recommended to put her on 1 month of antibiotics and a special medicated shampoo. I have opted against these 2 options at this time. I'm trying some more natural approaches for this part of the treatment. My vet agreed that this was a very reasonable approach.

Good News... within 1 hour of taking the Bravecto, my dog was finally free from the insane itching. Her skin is already starting to look so much better after just 3 days. It's not completely healed, but much improved.

I hope that this information will be helpful to you in some way. Being armed with this diagnosis has been a huge blessing; it's difficult to fight something if you don't know who your enemy is. I wish I could have found this info out long ago and so thankful that I know now!

Read More Answers...

What are some natural remedies for yeast infections in my pet's ears?

By Immanuel from Tampa, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found a mixture in equal parts of Monistat , polysporin and Cortaid (all 3 can be generic) mixed together well and placed in a container with a lid works wonders. My Basset no longer scratches her ears to the point of distraction (missing fur and huge hematomas). At first I applied it weekly into her ears after cleaing with a baby wipe. Fortunately, Basset ears are nice and roomy so it's easy to get down in the ear to clean. Then I get a tiny dollop of the magic medicene and apply it tothe canal opening inside of her ears and gently rub her ears. The body heat helps melt the ointment and allows it to coat the ear canal. I now only apply it when I bath her unless I see an abundance of wax build up.

Read More Answers...

My dog had a yeast infection in her skin and throat (vet's diagnosis). I don't know exactly the yeast's species name. Her skin was itching and her hair shed. In some places, skin was scaled off and she felt very itching here. Her elbows had no hair. Some lumpy and scaled off spots emerged there.

Sometimes, she wanted to dislodge something out of her throat but she couldn't. At that times, she seemed to panic a little and seek grass for chewing vigorously. My pet's vet said that yeast might infect in her throat and cause that syndrome. The treatment is: shave off her hair and bath her with PVP Iodine. But I wonder if this treatment is absolutely effective. Because PVP Iodine is just an antiseptic . Moreover, I can't shave off my poor pet! If you have any tips to solve this problem, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

goodbyemino

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your dog sounds like it is allergic to it's food.

My bulldog/box mix has been suffering from yeast infections for over 2 years on her face/ears/paws/ingrown tail/vulva. She scratches, licks, bites, runs around in circles chasing her tail, squirms around on her back on the floor, and drags her behind. I've felt terrible that I could find nothing to relieve her itching. She smells like Fritos or white cheddar popcorn. Her paws and tail smelled so bad I used to gag while cleaning them.

I have tried all kinds of home, and over the counter, and prescribed sprays, cleansers, powders, creams, and meds. She has been tested for tons of things and also has had her anal glands expunged. Nothing stopped any of her infections for any real period of time. During this time I was trying to narrow down what she was allergic to. I tried many different brands and flavors of foods for several months one at a time. Finally I have found a great one. Nature's variety instinct grain-free salmon meal formulas dry dog food. It contains Salmon Meal, Herring Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Canola Oil, Tapioca, Pea Starch, Pork Liver, Natural Pork Flavor and tons of veggies.

My dog appears to be allergic to chicken and beef like most dogs and most dog foods have some type of chicken or beef in it. This is the only food I could find that didnt have chicken or beef product without potatoes or rice. I buy it at Petco but i'm sure other places sell it.

After her eating only this and Vitality Salmon treats (only salmon and veggies) for 5 weeks, her rash around her vulva has disappeared. She has stopped dragging her behind, rolling around on the floor, chasing herself in circles, and scratching her face/ears.

She still chews her paws but I think she may be allergic to grass or likes to keep them clean. Her coat is also thinker and she appears to be shedding less. I will continue to clean her deep folds, ingrown tail, and big paws with the water/vinegar/peroxide solution to maintain her cleanliness.

If your dog has any of those, then are prone to yeast anyway and need to be cleaned often (at least bi-weekly). Please try this food if you know your dog is allergic to chicken/beef. Im so happy my baby is finally feeling better!

Read More Answers...

How much apple cider vinegar and yogurt do you give for a 50 or so pound with a very bad yeast infection?

By Kathy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vetericyn solution or hydrogel as it will kill bacteria and yeast on the skin surface and is as safe as distilled water. TrizUltra + Keto by Dermapet is gentle and effective for bacterial and yeast ear infections.

Yogurt

Plain (raw, lacto-fermented, or unpasteurized) yogurt with live cultures - No added sugar or fruit.

Live yogurt contains probiotic bacteria. However, while some people advocate just adding a spoonful of plain, live yogurt to your dogs food, others warn against dairy products with dogs, mostly because of the risk of lactose intolerance. If you do decide to feed your dog a spoonful of yogurt, make sure that it is a live yogurt, and that it is the plain variety with no sugar or artificial sweetener, as this will do your dog more harm than good.

Fruit-flavored yogurts are absolutely off limits for your dog, even if he does like them. This is because of the sugar levels. Also, only add the yogurt to the food until your dog's digestive problems clear up.

Small breed: 1 teaspoon

Medium breed: 1 tablespoon

Large breed: 2 tablespoons

Acidophilus Dosage

To work effectively, probiotics need to be given in high doses. This is because they need to survive a journey through the acidic stomach and small intestine to reach the large intestine, where the good bacteria do all their work. According to "Modern Dog" magazine, your dog needs to consume millions or billions of live acidophilus bacteria.

A dog probiotic product should indicate the number of colony forming units (CFUs) per gram of probiotic. This translates, for example, into 1x106 CFU for 1 million per gram and 1x109 CFU for a ratio of 1 billion per gram. Because probiotics are not drugs, giving an exact dosage is not so important, according to Dr. Shawn of the Paws & Claws animal hospital in Plano, Texas. He also says that the daily dose range for dogs is between 20 to 500 million CFUs, whereas people need between 3 and 5 billion CFUs per day.

Read More Answers...

I have been treating my 4yr Shih Tzu Alfie for yeast infections since he was a pup and I have tried everything. I found out about the ACV/water solution yesterday.

He usually just has the yeast in his ears, but sometimes it spreads to the top of his head, which it has right now above both eyes from him scratching. He has some small scabs so there's open skin, and I'm wondering if I should still use the 50/50 solution on it?

I haven't been able to find anything on what to do with broken skin. Is there something else I can put on the open sores or should I apply the solution? I'm going to try the yogurt everyday and vinegar baths, but I was concerned about spraying the ACV/H20 on an open sore. I don't want to make him more miserable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping that after we get him going on these natural remedies there will be no more Benadryl, no more prednisone and expensive meds that don't even work! Thanks.

By Amber from MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it's yeast stay away from oatmeal. It breeds yeast!

Read More Answers...

I have a female Chihuahua that has an yeast infection around her vulva. Several vets have prescribed medications and nothing is helping. It remains raw and very uncomfortable for her. Any ideas what to do for her? I use A and D ointment just to help the burning subside, but I need something to get rid of it permanently. Thanks.

By Crystal from Des Moines, IA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I sprinkle a capsule of probiotics on my dogs and cats food. The dog is for all his skin issues. My cat is allergy to insects...every spring his nose gets bitten and the hair falls out and gets all crusty. Not much help from the vet. Read to try building him immune system and found probiotics and omega-3 oil on food seems to help some. Makes the cats hair beautiful and super shiney. I found probiotics for dogs and cats for sale but it was so expensive, I wrote down the stains in their blend and found basically the same ones for humans much cheaper. You just dump the powder on their food, it is tasteless so they eat it just fine.

Read More Answers...

Our dog is biting on her legs and feet. Her white legs are turning brown. What can we use to help her?

By Marilynne A

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The yeast is a food allergy problem. If changing the dry food doesn't help. A raw meat diet will take care of the allergy as my daughter learned with her little dog's allergy.

Read More Answers...

My 7 year old Dachshund has had a yeast infection all over the stomach and legs and in one ear. She keeps on licking her backside and it's gone black and she pulls herself along the ground. She's had it now for about 4 months. I've taken her to the vet 3 times and we keep getting the same antibiotics (THERIOS 750mg) and malaseb 20mg. It helped for 1 week and it came back. She doesn't eat wheat or corn in the diet and she is not over weight. I really need to get help for her, I can't take her biting and being in pain anymore.

By Emma.A from Finland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a dog who also battles a yeast infection, mostly in his ear. We go through the same thing you do with the meds and also steroids. I hate giving these things to him. I found that fractionated coconut oil is finally clearing up his ear. I suggested you get some and rub it on all affected areas at least twice daily. It's a little slower to work than the meds, but there is no burning, seems to stop the pain, and no side affects. I buy mine from Bulk Apothecary (online), but you can get it at just about any store online or health food store.

Regular coconut oil works too, you would just have to melt it to apply. I hope it works as well for you, and remember no sugar whatsoever, it feeds yeast. Sounds like you already have made the dietary changes. I would also add probiotics (I give mine the ones we take) to get the digestive tract healthy and keep it that way. The antibiotics the vets give them kill of the beneficial bacteria. Best of luck!

Read More Answers...

How do you treat yeast infection in dog's eyes and ears; holistically if possible?

By Jim from Toronto, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Coconut Oil,,, it is a Microbial & also helps W/ Pink Eye even on Humans,,,, Tryed it & Works,,,

Read More Answers...

Is there a pill for yeast in my puppy's ears instead of ointment?

By Dee Dee from Easton, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Either use Zymox Ear Treatment that can be found in pet stores or mix your own concoction of Blue Power Ear Wash. You can find the recipe on this website or do a google search on the name. Many dog breeders use this as it's inexpensive to make and works great on long ear pets. I use it on my own dogs and they've never had an ear infection.

dog rashMy dog has the signs of a yeast problem on his back which started as a sore and dark skin rash. So I treated it with aloe vera and then Bio oil. It is healing, but when I touch his body he yelps. He is also dragging his back left leg, and is quiet lethargic. Can you please help me?

By Elisa S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This sound complicated and you will need a Vet to figure it out and treat it. Don't let it get worse. Take you dog in right away. If you need payment help, call before your appointment and ask how they can help you. Many Vets have funds for this or will carry interest free time payments (Care Credit). But don't wait.

I wrote asking for tips and have now cured the 'smelly' dog. I got a second vet's opinion regarding the awful smell my chocolate brown Lab had. The vet diagnosed a yeast infection and prescribed an anti fungal and anti bacterial shampoo.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A Border ColliePlease DO NOT put zinc oxide cream or ointment on your dog for itching from any cause. I did this without thinking, trying to help my Border Collie with severe itching, and he licked it all off. Zinc is a heavy metal and can be fatal, if ingested in adequate doses.

My dog was extremely sick for over 48 hours. He was vomiting, lethargic, having heavy panting, and, I would imagine, in pain. He would not eat, drink, or move. It scared me to death. I felt so bad for doing this to my baby.

Please learn from my mistake. Stick with A and D or Neosporin. These are not toxic. I hope this helps someone not make the same mistake I made.

By Wendy L. from Wilmington, NC

What can I give my German Shepherd to prevent reoccurring yeast infections in his penis area? I have taken him to the vet several times and he was given antibiotics. The vet wants me to start douching him with vinegar and water a couple of times a week. He is a big dog and it is difficult trying to douche him, what can I gave him to take that will help?

By LP

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Question: has the vet checked to see if your 4-footed baby is either diabetic or hypogycemic (prediabetic)? It's odd he would keep having reoccuring bouts of this if his sugar was balanced. I'd also keep his mouth as clean as possible. While he's washing himself he might be reinfecting himself too. One last thing, besides keeping up with the vinegar, I'd also be sure to feed him yogurt (natural, organic Greek is best-unsweetened, of course!) and give him a daily probiotic suppliment. Once his Ph is balanced and he has more good bacteria than bad, it should end the yeast problems. When giving the yogurt, I'd start with small amounts first and check his stool to be sure his system can tolerate it. I know you're a great puppy-mommy and your baby will be just fine!

Read More Answers...

How do you use tea tree oil for canine yeast infection in ears?

Debe from Jamestown, RI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It doesn't matter if it is yeast or ear mites, tea tree will help heal and soothe your pet. Get a carrier oil--olive oil will do. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to about 1 oz of the carrier oil. After cleaning the ears with peroxide (if you can), add some tea tree oil mixture, close the ear and rub the ourside to distribute it. After a few days, your pet should feel better. But remember, it the problem is yeast (systemic), you will have to deal with it because the tea tree mixture will only treat symptoms, not the actual problem. Like butterfly suggested, you can give your pet yogurt, or just buy some acedophilus or probiotics and mix some with food daily. Yeast feeds on sugars and grains, so you may want to check your pet food.

Read More Answers...

My little Maltese cross has had a reoccurring ear infection for a few months now. The drops and wash given by the vet were not effective. I have been researching the use of diluted white vinegar, vaginal cream, and diluted apple cider, as well as, changing her food to a natural one. Her vet says she now needs an operation to open the ear canal. That freaks me out. Surely in this day and age I can use something that will help her other than an operation to cut her ears.

By Deb

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here's the recipe I use for my cocker spaniels and they are ear infection clear and have no problems because I used this recipe from the time they belonged to us and especially after their baths are given as it helps dry up any water that might get into their ears and preventing an infection. On my older pets now deceased, I didn't know about this and was always buying medicine from the vet that didn't really work that well. I did apply Zymox w cortizone for pet's ears and that product was better. BUT, it's still not as good as Blue Power Ear Wash.

http://www.showdog-magazine.com/holistic/bluepowerearwash.htm

Read More Answers...
    Load More
    Pets Dogs HealthNovember 17, 2012
    A yeast free cheese pizza.
    No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
    A woman with swimmers ear.
    Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
    oinment bottle
    Treating a Staph Infection (Cellulitis)
    Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
    Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 4:05:14 PM on 10.0.0.239 in 926 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.