Browsing: Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection

An overabundance of yeast can result in infections on your dog's skin, in the ears, and other areas. This is a guide about treating a dog's yeast infection.

Dog's Yeast Infection
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 14, 2015 Flag

My 8 months old Pug has a skin yeast infection I think. Her skin is black, dry, flaky almost like elephant skin, and she is losing hair. It's not itchy.Treating Dog with Yeast Infection

I already tried using different kinds of soap, shampoo, and my vet gave me some tablets for "hair growth", but no use :( Please help me I'm really frustrated.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After spending $90 bucks for a office visit and skin test that later came back negative (after 14 days). I used a $1 tube of clotrimazole to treat an area on my dogs head where he was rapidly losing hair. I wasn't going to wait 14 days for him to prescribe something, so I did my own research on the internet. The clotrimazole worked immediately.

Read More Answers...

January 13, 2011 Flag

What are some natural remedies for yeast infections in my pet's ears?

By Immanuel from Tampa, FL

I have a 10 year old beagle mix, the only remedy for him has been absolutely NO grain. I tried everything remedy I could read about. The only topical treatment that helped at all was diluted vinegar with the mother.

Read More Answers...

November 13, 2007 Flag

My dog had a yeast infection in her skin and throat (vet's diagnosis). I don't know exactly the yeast's species name. Her skin was itching and her hair shed. In some places, skin was scaled off and she felt very itching here. Her elbows had no hair. Some lumpy and scaled off spots emerged there.

Sometimes, she wanted to dislodge something out of her throat but she couldn't. At that times, she seemed to panic a little and seek grass for chewing vigorously. My pet's vet said that yeast might infect in her throat and cause that syndrome. The treatment is: shave off her hair and bath her with PVP Iodine. But I wonder if this treatment is absolutely effective. Because PVP Iodine is just an antiseptic . Moreover, I can't shave off my poor pet! If you have any tips to solve this problem, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

goodbyemino

I absolutely agree with you and also vinegar and water works with it.

Read More Answers...

November 2, 2010 Flag

I have been treating my 4yr Shih Tzu Alfie for yeast infections since he was a pup and I have tried everything. I found out about the ACV/water solution yesterday.

He usually just has the yeast in his ears, but sometimes it spreads to the top of his head, which it has right now above both eyes from him scratching. He has some small scabs so there's open skin, and I'm wondering if I should still use the 50/50 solution on it?

I haven't been able to find anything on what to do with broken skin. Is there something else I can put on the open sores or should I apply the solution? I'm going to try the yogurt everyday and vinegar baths, but I was concerned about spraying the ACV/H20 on an open sore. I don't want to make him more miserable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping that after we get him going on these natural remedies there will be no more Benadryl, no more prednisone and expensive meds that don't even work! Thanks.

By Amber from MD

If it's yeast stay away from oatmeal. It breeds yeast!

Read More Answers...

January 23, 2015 Flag

How much apple cider vinegar and yogurt do you give for a 50 or so pound with a very bad yeast infection?

By Kathy

Vetericyn solution or hydrogel as it will kill bacteria and yeast on the skin surface and is as safe as distilled water. TrizUltra + Keto by Dermapet is gentle and effective for bacterial and yeast ear infections.

Yogurt

Plain (raw, lacto-fermented, or unpasteurized) yogurt with live cultures - No added sugar or fruit.

Live yogurt contains probiotic bacteria. However, while some people advocate just adding a spoonful of plain, live yogurt to your dogs food, others warn against dairy products with dogs, mostly because of the risk of lactose intolerance. If you do decide to feed your dog a spoonful of yogurt, make sure that it is a live yogurt, and that it is the plain variety with no sugar or artificial sweetener, as this will do your dog more harm than good.

Fruit-flavored yogurts are absolutely off limits for your dog, even if he does like them. This is because of the sugar levels. Also, only add the yogurt to the food until your dog's digestive problems clear up.

Small breed: 1 teaspoon

Medium breed: 1 tablespoon

Large breed: 2 tablespoons

Acidophilus Dosage

To work effectively, probiotics need to be given in high doses. This is because they need to survive a journey through the acidic stomach and small intestine to reach the large intestine, where the good bacteria do all their work. According to "Modern Dog" magazine, your dog needs to consume millions or billions of live acidophilus bacteria.

A dog probiotic product should indicate the number of colony forming units (CFUs) per gram of probiotic. This translates, for example, into 1x106 CFU for 1 million per gram and 1x109 CFU for a ratio of 1 billion per gram. Because probiotics are not drugs, giving an exact dosage is not so important, according to Dr. Shawn of the Paws & Claws animal hospital in Plano, Texas. He also says that the daily dose range for dogs is between 20 to 500 million CFUs, whereas people need between 3 and 5 billion CFUs per day.

Read More Answers...

June 9, 2013 Flag

Our dog is biting on her legs and feet. Her white legs are turning brown. What can we use to help her?

By Marilynne A

My dog is itching all the time and has dark on the back of her back legs

Read More Answers...

September 14, 2013 Flag

My 7 year old Dachshund has had a yeast infection all over the stomach and legs and in one ear. She keeps on licking her backside and it's gone black and she pulls herself along the ground. She's had it now for about 4 months. I've taken her to the vet 3 times and we keep getting the same antibiotics (THERIOS 750mg) and malaseb 20mg. It helped for 1 week and it came back. She doesn't eat wheat or corn in the diet and she is not over weight. I really need to get help for her, I can't take her biting and being in pain anymore.

By Emma.A from Finland

You have to stop antibiotics! They will just make it come back ten times worse! Use a dandruff shampoo twice a week and let the lather sit on for 10 minutes before rinsing. You must change the diet. I have a holistic dr where I buy my food but you can also make the dogs food, 70% chicken breast and 30% kale and zucchini (green). I can also help you with a place to get human grade fungal supplements with free treatment planning and follow up

Read More Answers...

November 15, 2009 Flag

I have a female Chihuahua that has an yeast infection around her vulva. Several vets have prescribed medications and nothing is helping. It remains raw and very uncomfortable for her. Any ideas what to do for her? I use A and D ointment just to help the burning subside, but I need something to get rid of it permanently. Thanks.

By Crystal from Des Moines, IA

Monistat yeast infection for women cream!

Read More Answers...

October 16, 2009 Flag

I wrote asking for tips and have now cured the 'smelly' dog. I got a second vet's opinion regarding the awful smell my chocolate brown Lab had. The vet diagnosed a yeast infection and prescribed an anti fungal and anti bacterial shampoo.

January 30, 2013 Flag

A Border ColliePlease DO NOT put zinc oxide cream or ointment on your dog for itching from any cause. I did this without thinking, trying to help my Border Collie with severe itching, and he licked it all off. Zinc is a heavy metal and can be fatal, if ingested in adequate doses.

My dog was extremely sick for over 48 hours. He was vomiting, lethargic, having heavy panting, and, I would imagine, in pain. He would not eat, drink, or move. It scared me to death. I felt so bad for doing this to my baby.

Please learn from my mistake. Stick with A and D or Neosporin. These are not toxic. I hope this helps someone not make the same mistake I made.

By Wendy L. from Wilmington, NC

March 6, 2011 Flag

How do you treat yeast infection in dog's eyes and ears; holistically if possible?

Load More
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 17, 2012
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
oinment bottle
Treating a Staph Infection (Cellulitis)
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 25, 2016 at 7:13:34 AM on 10.0.0.118 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.