Treating a Sneezing Rabbit

Category Health
Rabbit That is About to Sneeze
Determining the cause of your bunny's sneezes can be a challenge. This is a guide about treating a sneezing rabbit.

My rabbit has been sneezing for about a week now. I was told to watch it and see if it stops. It has calmed down quite a bit however every so often he sneezes. Any idea on what he might have (I know it can be a cold or allergies)? Also, should I see his vet about it?

Raylene from Toronto, Canada

Rabbits are extremely sensitive to smells - I read last year that if you keep them in the house (I don't know whether this is your case or not) that you should only use unscented cleaning products on your floor, and only water if at all necessary. Hope this helps you, G.L.

Update: I talked to my vet on the phone he said that there was no needed to worry and that it is only a cold,since there was no discharge which can not be cured (just like when we get one). Also he said that as long as he was eating and drinking and behaving normal (which he was) there was no cause for alarm. My rabbit has since stopped sneezing and is as happy as ever.

~~Glynda thank you for your feed back I already use unscented all natural cleaners.But always good to know that what I am doing is the right thing!

I've read that feeding them dried papaya helps with the sneezing. I personally feel that dust from any source causes some of it, any chemical in the air, and black wilt on greens they eat can truly even KILL

them, especially on Cilantro, Parsley, and Lettuces.

Remember to try to buy Organic foods and to wash with Veggie wash, if you can, because the tiniest pesticide can bring on illnesses in a bunny.

If you are using pine shavings inside the cage, stop because it causes liver failure. Make sure it is not in a windy draft of any kind, or is not getting damp then cold from, say, it's water splashing onto it's fur.

Also, keep the litter box really cleaned out, since they are all mostly clean freaks! lol If any family

member has a cold, have them to stay away from the bunny, as if a baby, so as not to spread it to them. They are often used in laboratories to test

for human bacterial/viruses, etc., I hear. Since they

clean their fur so well, and because we are never to bathe them, touching the fur with contaminated hands can pass things on to them as well. Don't let them lick your face, hands or body when you are ill,

either, even if you get meds to make you well, remembering that they don't have the natural immunities a field rabbit develops eventually, because the house bunny is so sheltered, with only human bacteria to build antibodies against.

Also, hand lotions and perfumes/body sprays, can really mess them up. I had one to die with a tiny

gas leak into it's cage, and another one years before that from a few bites of contaminated grass before I made my yard all Organic.

Also, don't feed the bunny a single bit of grease, or cheese, milk product or meat, even if it innocently and naively eats it. It's can die from it because it has no way to digest it. It's strictly vegetarian. : 0

I have a sneezing bunny too - he gets sneezing fits at night. I took him to the vet the other day - colds in bunnies are in fact curable because unlike humans, rabbit "colds" are caused by bacteria, not a virus like in humans. I am giving my bunny antibiotics for 2 weeks. He seems a bit better so far but I still have a while to go. If left untreated it can lead to much more serious problems. My bunny is also eating, drinking, potty-ing, and otherwise behaving normally. I'd rather have him treated than let this progress to something worse.

My male 9 year old is sneezing a lot right now. The vet initially gave him Baytril for sneezing and runny eye and a possible infection in the ear. That all cleared up and now he is sneezing again. His nose is dry. However he has no other symptoms, eats well, his stools are fine, is alert and plays like always. I spoke to my vet again and she recommended he go back on Baytril.

Yesterday, I took my rabbit to the vet and he told me that he was fine. Well, when I came back, he began to sneeze (sometimes) but his nose is dry. What should I do? Go to the vet (AGAIN)?

I have read all of this, it is totally unlike my rabbit. See I am really worried about him. His eyes are really runny, and underneath sometimes gets allot of gunk. His nose is always wet with snot lol, and he is NOT behaving normally. He sits there with his eyes half open, until he hears a big noise. We had him outside in the garage perfectly fine, until one day he got this cold. I have 5 other rabbit and they are all fine.

So I moved my rabbit into my room (away from all the others, just like u said). He has been in here for about 3 days now and is not looking any better. He still eats and drinks fine though, but I am thinking he is eating a little bit less. I have been wiping him eyes and nose when he needs it. He sneezes a lot! Big ones that you can hear, for such a tiny cute bunny. He is a 2 year old dwarf/dutch rabbit.

With his living conditions, we put safe (treated) shavings at the bottom and up top just normal hay. He and all my other rabbits also get regular every 2 days vegetables. (carrots and lettuce, celery, spinach, apples). They are always in good condition. I tried to call a vet today, but they were closed. I don't even know if they offer advice. Do they? Also I don't have any money to go to the vet. (I am only 15) and I think it would cost a lot. I really care about him, but I don't have any money at this point, and if I were to get i,t it would take me a while (like 4 or 5 weeks). My parents, well they think he is fine, when clearly he's not. Also they are not whatsoever rabbit experts. lol so I really need some advice. I have been searching all over the internet, please help.

My rabbit, of 1 year, has always had a little bit of a sneezing problem. when I look at her nose lately though, that is a whole nother story. It looks like there is a sort of crust that is building up around the nostrils. Should I take her to a vet today? Her behavior is been pretty good though. She has always been an outside rabbit (in a Hutch) and had food so I don't know. Anybody know what this is? PLEASE RESPOND! Just put RE: CRUSTY BUNNY k>? thx. THE PICTURE IS OF HER. for reference :)

Why has my rabbit started sneezing so frequently?

By Sneha